• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me outfit my new Tactical rifle project

encoreguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2006
I just purchased a Savage 10FP DBM rifle with the new Choate tactical stock. I have been wanting to put together a tactical DBM rifle for awhile. It is a .308 but eventually I will screw on a .260 ackley barrel. I will use a 20 moa Ken Farrel base and burris signature Z-rings with inserts. I want target type turrets, a mil-dot reticle and at least 3.5" of eye relief. It will be used for longrange target shooting (perhaps f-class shooting) and hunting. If money was not a concern I would simply buy a Nightforce, Mark 4 or a Zeiss and be done with it, but with 2 kids yet to go to college I cannot bring myself to do it. I really hate to go over the mid-$500 range, but I think I can fill my needs and keep within that budget.

I prefer to dial in the range and use the mils for windage hold-offs. So I need accurate, repeatable elevation adjustments.

I am thinking of the following:

On the lower end side,
3200 5-15 tactical (50 moa and 4" of eye relief) but smaller field of view over other scopes in that power range.

4.5 - 14 Weaver tactical (I think it is the exact same scope as the 3200 but has only 3-3.5" of eye relief but a wider field of view. It might have a different tracking system (Weaver has been known to have good tracking).

4.5 -14 or 6-18 Buckmasters with mil-dot. The 6-18 has target turrets but not a big fan of 1/8" adjustments. I think these are only 40 moa or less range of adjustment.

Perhaps a Vortex but I don't like their short eye relief.

A little higher price:

Sightron Big Sky II 4.5 X 14 with side AO, 80 moa 1/4 adjustment and 20 minutes per revolution.

Sightron Big Sky 6.5 X 20 with side AO. 60 moa, 1/4 adjustment and 20 minutes per revolution. Only concern here is smaller field of view.

Big Sky 4-16 mil-dot but has 1/8" adjustmernt only 10 minutes per revolution but does have 80 moa adjustment and is cheaper than the above Sightron scopes.

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16 mil-dot now and I could get target turrets for it but it is only 40 moa and to be honest my Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 is much clearer side by side. So I am not overly impressed. I have one of the very first New Monarch's to be delivered so maybe the later ones are better. My old 6.5-20 Monarch UCC with ILL mil- dot is also a better scope but are hard to find since they quit making them.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Help me outfit my new Tactical rifle project

savy the search, this topic gets brought up about once a week. And fill out your profile

I have researched this topic and read other response, just looking for an opinion.

As far as my profile, I filled in everything I wanted to back in 2006. I am not being rude, I just have not felt the need to share any more than that.

encoreguy: don't let them bully you. You should share only the information you wish. If you have a more complete profile, it helps others advise you according to your individual needs however. Look on the forum for used scopes, as you will probably get a much better used scope than new in your price range.

Bushnell 5-15 3200 Tactical isn't a bad scope, I have one on an AR.Also look at the Bushnell 6500 tactical, nice glass but they might be a lil' more then you want to spend.

Nobodys bullying.

Search might help him, but nothing wrong with asking his specific question either.

Of the scopes in the lower price range with which I have experience, the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 SF is a good one. I have one on my Savage BTVS 17 hmr and have dialed it a bit and it has been true.

how bout the Falcon???? FFP, mil/mil matching reticle and under 500

If money is an issue, ammo cost may soon be a limiting factor for your range time. Consider a Super Sniper and go shooting. It's a known quantity and better than dealing with the low end variables. When you get tired of it you can sell it and recoup most of the funds.

TC

You can get the Nikon, variable, with side focus for a little over $200. I have used mine quite a bit. They are good scopes. To be honest, if it was something I had to use, and couldnt resell, I would take the Nikon BM 4.5-14 SF over any fixed power optic. To me, you just give up to much when using a fixed power. But the Super snipers have a good rep for durability. Get what you like best. Either way, at least you have decent options in your price range.

whats your feeling about a shepherd scope??? i've read several things but never talked to anyone with hands oon knowledge.

Seems like they have been around forever, but I have never owned or even seen one.

They must be doing something right to hang around.

Shepherds will give you a no brainer way to guestimate distance and BDC, but it really only works well on large targets. They however do not allow you to be exact or do any holdovers for windage. The adjustments are hidden under fine thread caps and are not glove friendly.

They would be more of a hunting optic in perfect conditions. Like say you are huting big game at perfect 100 or 50 yard intervals.

They have offered 9" stadia circles, 18" stadia circles, and 24" stadia circles over the years in either a 3-9/10 or 6-18 magnification versions. I even owned one once that was a rare older one that was a 3-10 and had a dial to scroll thru (4) different BDC reticles.

IMHO they are a bit overpriced for what you get.

Hope this helps,
Mark

are they as clear as i hear?

other $500-$600 scopes.

They are good glass, and yes compared to most other scopes in the 600 range.

I believe the 6-18 versions run closer to 800. You can usually get a MK 4 close to that price range.

I don't know off the top of my head how much elevation or windage they have compared to others, that I would have to look into a little further.

Hope this helps,
Mark

what do you know about the best of the west HUSKAMAW long range optics 5x20

The most expensive scope I ever owned was a Leupold VX-III 6-24X40, and I don't own any expensive scopes anymore. For a midrange scope, I like the Weaver V-24, and on the cheap end, I use the Tasco VAR624X42M Mildot, 75MOA elevation, focuses down to 15yd, 6-24X, 42mm Objective, covered target knobs, lists at around $80. I have four, they all get used a bunch, and after three years, I'm still waiting for the much predicted failures to occur. They are mounted on: my 1Kyd 260 Savage F Class gun, my lightweight M70 .30-'06 hunter, a 10/22 target gun, and my .222 M700 FV200 rifle. I wouldn't recommend it for dim light applications, but otherwise. I like 'em.

Greg