• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help me pick a .30 cal suppressor

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
So I've been researching and trying to find something that will fit my criteria for a .30 cal can. I have a Rugged Obsidian .45 already so I am covered on handgun suppression. So far I've been coming up dry with a good option for what I'm looking for.

My criteria:
-Option to direct thread for a bolt gun as well as having a QD mount option for AR's, etc.
-Stellite baffles
-User serviceable
-Ability to remove front of suppressor to make it into a "k" configuration
-Lightweight ~10 to 12 oz.

The usage for my suppressor would be as an all around rifle suppressor for use on rapid fire as well as being light enough to take hunting. Thus the reason why I'd like to make it into a k configuration for hunting. For hunting it would go on a 24" 6.5 creedmoor so that would also benefit by having a k length can.

The closest I've found to what I want is the SiCo Omega 36M. Cons are that it is not user serviceable and doesn't have satellite baffles. I also have no need for the pistol suppressing option.

I really like Rugged and their Radiant 762, but I don't believe you can direct thread it.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

TBAC Dominus.

Not user serviceable (most center-fire cans aren't), don't believe it has stellite baffles, nor can you change the length.

So why do I recommend it?

- because TBAC is one of the best in the game
- it has decent suppression
- it's short (~6"), no need to make it shorter
- rated for a heavy firing schedule (SR version is rated for full-auto use)
- it's light, at ~9 ozs

Functionally, it does everything it sounds like you need it to.

If you want to move it around from rifle to rifle, then I think the direct thread requirement is going to limit you severely. Tapered QD mounts by [insert brand of your choosing] are made for the exact use case you’re describing. They’re also really good at return to zero and come in multiple thread pitches depending on the manufacturer.

You’re looking for a jack of all trades, master of none type of can from what I can tell. The Radiant does that while being slightly biased towards the hunting side of things with its Ti module. On the plus side Rugged’s CS is top notch should you have a baffle strike or other issue. Ask me how I know.

Realistically what is your max firing schedule. For a lot of people they won't exceed the Ultra 7's schedule. As kthomas posted, the Dominus-SR is a good choice if you must do 8-mag mag dumps.
Realistically I wouldn't have any firing schedule like that. The hottest firing schedule would probably be during 3 gun matches and just randomly at the range. I really don't do many mag dump activities otherwise. If I eventually got an MG down the road, I would probably just get another suppressor.

You’re looking for a jack of all trades, master of none type of can from what I can tell. The Radiant does that while being slightly biased towards the hunting side of things with its Ti module. On the plus side Rugged’s CS is top notch should you have a baffle strike or other issue. Ask me how I know.
Do you have experience with the Rugged M2 brake? One concern I didn't mention is that I am not always going to hunt with the suppressor in states that don't allow it. I don't want to blow my eardrums with a normal brake. I'm wondering if the M2 brake is as loud as a normal brake when unsuppressed?

Do you have experience with the Rugged M2 brake? One concern I didn't mention is that I am not always going to hunt with the suppressor in states that don't allow it. I don't want to blow my eardrums with a normal brake. I'm wondering if the M2 brake is as loud as a normal brake when unsuppressed?
Put this around your neck when you head out hunting. Super quick to don, and no blown ear drums...

https://www.academy.com/p/radians-radband™-ear-plugs

Tbac dominus for sure.

Just get a non timed brake. Wrench it on the one you want a direct thread on. Leave the brake on or take it off

The Omega 30 is hard to beat.

The Omega is a pretty decent all-around suppressor.

My wife has one and we have no complaints about it, works well.

It is a bit gassy with AR-15's though. It has more back pressure than other cans, though hers does have a 6.5mm end cap. I would imagine something like the Dominus would have less back pressure for AR-15 duty.

I went omega 36M it was the closest to what you describe. So far I’ve been happy with it.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like the SiCo Omega 300, rugged radiant, or TBAC dominus are the front runners. The advantage of the SiCo is that my dealer stocks them and can give it to me at cost. The radiant he can special order and give some discount. The TBAC I think I would have to buy on my own and pay his $80 transfer fee. What advantage is there with the TBAC products over rugged and silencerco?

I have a Griffin Armament Explorr 30cal can in jail, haven't shot it but it will most likely be going on a BRN-180 in 300Blk, came highly recommended to me by a guy at my LGS. Sorry I can't be of more help lol, I'll be using other 30cal cans for other hosts so I'll get to try other cans, probably a Dead Air Sandman next....

Put this around your neck when you head out hunting. Super quick to don, and no blown ear drums...

https://www.academy.com/p/radians-radband™-ear-plugs

Yeah I hear you, but I know myself too well. When I'm hunting, ear pro is the last thing I think of. I also hunt a lot of different situations from close in to long range. I made the mistake of firing a braked 18" M1A sneaking up on game once and swore to myself that I'd never hunt with another braked rifle.

Yeah I hear you, but I know myself too well. When I'm hunting, ear pro is the last thing I think of. I also hunt a lot of different situations from close in to long range. I made the mistake of firing a braked 18" M1A sneaking up on game once and swore to myself that I'd never hunt with another braked rifle.
Then go an some quad speaker amplified muffs. Not perfect. I lose a lot of directionality to sound wearing muffs, but better than nothing. And tou don’t have to remember to put them on.

I would drop the Omega off the list personally. SiCo altogether.

I would pay double for TBAC over SiCo. PM sent why.

I like my Rex silentium mg7k more than my sico omega.

It has a universal thread system for whatever you’d want to run.

I don’t, but any brake is going to be loud. Rugged does make a blast diverter though. I’m sure it’s still not as pleasant to shoot as their can, but it might be better than a bare brake.

Also check out the little Safariland ear plugs with the diaphragm in them. They’re not going to block everything but they’re a pretty solid option for hunting. I have them on a carabiner attached to the sternum wrap of my pack so I can put them in before a shot while hunting.

Last edited:
So I've been researching and trying to find something that will fit my criteria for a .30 cal can. I have a Rugged Obsidian .45 already so I am covered on handgun suppression. So far I've been coming up dry with a good option for what I'm looking for.

My criteria:
-Option to direct thread for a bolt gun as well as having a QD mount option for AR's, etc.
-Stellite baffles
-User serviceable
-Ability to remove front of suppressor to make it into a "k" configuration
-Lightweight ~10 to 12 oz.

The usage for my suppressor would be as an all around rifle suppressor for use on rapid fire as well as being light enough to take hunting. Thus the reason why I'd like to make it into a k configuration for hunting. For hunting it would go on a 24" 6.5 creedmoor so that would also benefit by having a k length can.

The closest I've found to what I want is the SiCo Omega 36M. Cons are that it is not user serviceable and doesn't have satellite baffles. I also have no need for the pistol suppressing option.

I really like Rugged and their Radiant 762, but I don't believe you can direct thread it.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?
I don't know of anyone who makes a modular Stellite baffle suppressor. Especially not one that's only 10-12 oz and is HUB threaded for DT or QD mounts. Also, modular suppressors are kind of overrated.

These ones will work great for your rifles, as long as you keep it under 800ºF.

Reactions: ColtSAA.45
Realistically I wouldn't have any firing schedule like that. The hottest firing schedule would probably be during 3 gun matches and just randomly at the range. I really don't do many mag dump activities otherwise. If I eventually got an MG down the road, I would probably just get another suppressor.
Then I recommend getting a precision can for now, and then getting a Sandman-S down the road when you have a need for suppressing an SBR/AR Pistol, or MG.

Reactions: 30calDeath
I'm not aware of any stellite baffled suppressor that is user serviceable. Stellite is also heavy. Stainless would be very durable as well and somewhat lighter. Right off I would say Dead Air Sandman or Nomad. Another option you might want to look into is Elite Iron.

Reactions: 30calDeath
User serviceable also really isn’t a thing these days when it comes to rifle cans. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I have a Griffin Reece 5 that I move between several AR15 barrels and a couple of bolt guns.

Plan to get the 30 cal Reece soon.

My suppressor has zero POI shift, is very comfortable to shoot and cleaning is near non existent. And that’s with me shooting a couple thousand rounds through it every spring (ground squirrels). My squirrel load is running right near the top of 5.56 NATO pressure.

Moving it to a “bolt action hunting rifle”, a Savage that was never designed for a suppressor, involved having an experienced gun smith cut threads, then I installed the $90 brake Griffin makes that mounts the suppressor. It is simple to remove the brake, then install a thread protector if you want no muzzle feature.

Not sure if it is available where you are, I have a Nielsen Sonic Max8 that fits both my 308's, it is a reflex design, you can take it apart for cleaning, and when shooting on my own I do not use ear protection.
Directly behind the rifle, in the open, I have no discomfort from the shot going off.
In Bisley competions the guys next to me wearing ear protection often ask "did you shoot, why is the target going down ?"
Weird thing is, on both my rifles, it shifts the POI 6moa UP at 100m................

So after doing a lot of reading, I think the dead air nomad probably checks most of my boxes. It’s a hub system so mounting options are limitless, it’s fairly lightweight (especially the Ti version), and it’s reasonably priced.

I really like the TBAC products but the only hub system seems to be the magnus which is long, as heavy as the nomad, and expensive. It is by far the quietest but I’m not really chasing db numbers. I’m really just looking for something well rounded that would also double as a hunting suppressor.

Reactions: jrassy
So after doing a lot of reading, I think the dead air nomad probably checks most of my boxes. It’s a hub system so mounting options are limitless, it’s fairly lightweight (especially the Ti version), and it’s reasonably priced.

I really like the TBAC products but the only hub system seems to be the magnus which is long, as heavy as the nomad, and expensive. It is by far the quietest but I’m not really chasing db numbers. I’m really just looking for something well rounded that would also double as a hunting suppressor.
If you want lightweight, compact, all-round can, that would also be perfect for hunting, then I'd give a really strong look at the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S. If you compare it to the Nomad-Ti, they're almost identical in numbers and performance. Both HUB mounting. But the Hydro is cheaper than the Nomad-Ti. Both are awesome cans. I have a Nomad-LT (Nomad-L titanium version), and it's a great can. I'd put it dead-on performance with my OCL Hydrogen-L, but the Hydro is about $150 cheaper.

The TBAC Magnus HUB is one I plan on adding to my collection someday. Just got to get a spare $2,000 once you include the stamp, trust, and taxes. Right now in this economy, that's a bit tough to do. 🤦🏼

To provide everyone with an update:

I listed to the majority here and picked up a TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal. I just left the gun shop and submitted my eform. Can’t wait to get it! If I’m lucky I might have it in time for Christmas!

To provide everyone with an update:

I listed to the majority here and picked up a TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal. I just left the gun shop and submitted my eform. Can’t wait to get it! If I’m lucky I might have it in time for Christmas!

Hopefully you mean Christmas 2023, I’m at 203 days and with how the time frame grows daily I’ll be lucky to have mine by this christmas.

Reactions: FuhQ and Bluedog82
Hopefully you mean Christmas 2023, I’m at 203 days and with how the time frame grows daily I’ll be lucky to have mine by this christmas.
Oh wow, the atf website says 100 days estimate for eform. It doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s way longer than that. My first suppressor was 11 months (paper form).

Oh wow, the atf website says 100 days estimate for eform. It doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s way longer than that. My first suppressor was 11 months (paper form).
The federal government also says that Joe Biden is sharp as a tack and the most popular president ever.

• Haha
Reactions: Digetydog and FuhQ
Not sure if it has been recommended but I'd take a look at the LPM Anthem S:

I wear the Impact Sport ear muffs if I'm sitting and hunting.
Add the gel cups, keep the mics to the front and adjust the volume properly.
You can also increase the volume to hear anything sneaking around.

Would I wear them hunting the open prairie? Probably not.
But, they are fantastic if you are blind or stand hunting or even in an overwatch setup.