• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a camo pattern

Sendit6.5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Sabinal, TX
www.brushyhill.com
I'm torn between several camo patterns for a new hunting rifle that's being built right now. So, even though it's going to be my choice ultimately, I figured I'd get some votes from my friends on the Hide. I don't really need more/other camo suggestions so please pick from one of these choices I'm giving:

McMillan camo

9a658471f7e207ea47cd5aa3a33eaf45.jpg

GAP camo

807248cc042b933866136733520f5b61.jpg

Kuiu Vias camo

801927f8e2a04247089a2b076a6e49e8.jpg

Kuiu Verde camo

8c6b3de636588d813f439d6b32bd1fa5.jpg

Primarily I'm looking at the McMillan, GAP and Kuiu Vias camo patterns because the Kuiu Verde is pretty complicated and I think it would be better as a dipped pattern. This will be a Cerakote paint job. But I figured I'd throw it in there anyway. I listed them in the order that I'm currently leaning towards. This will be on a McMillan hunting stock and the bottom metal and bolt will be black; but the outside of the action and the barrel will be a flat FDE or similar color pulled from the camo pattern I pick for the stock.

Hope this will help me make a decision. Lol! To the viewers at home, "Thanks for playing the game!" Lol!

have you looked at browning atacs? I've always wanted to dip or cerakote one of mine around that pattern..but i havent got around to it yet

Yea ATACS is pretty cool, but might be difficult. VIAS looks good and like it would be very effective.

of the 4, the GAP camo will be most effective at breaking up the pattern of the rifle

although if youre just going for looks, the McMillan looks a little more pleasing i think.

I prefer bold simple patterns or, I should say, I've had a lot of luck with them over the years. I make my living from hunting and I've tried just about every camo pattern there is at one time of the other. Currently, I have a deal with Kuiu to promote their camo and I really like it but, if I'm going to be honest, most camo "works" just about anywhere. It's more for us than the critters - IMO/E. I call hundreds of coyotes a year and kill 80% of them within 25yds. I've never really noticed a better success rate with any particular camo over others; and I've killed so many sitting out in Carhardt pants and a jacket. I didn't think any of these patterns I'm considering will be more effective for hunting - the bold patterns seem to work slightly better than busier patterns because the busy ones look more like a solid color at 50+ yards and provide virtually no 'break up." The bold patterns actually break up at long distances. I've done a LOT of experimentation with tent blinds and vehicles at long range and the effect of bold simple patterns, and their superiority (especially to human eyes) can't be denied.

So, really, whatever pattern I pick is really more about the "cool" factor anyway. Lol! I'm just curious which one gets the most "cool" factor among y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer bold simple patterns or, I should say, I've had a lot of luck with them over the years. I make my living from hunting and I've tried just about every camo pattern there is at one time of the other. Currently, I have a deal with Kuiu to promote their camo and I really like it but, if I'm going to be honest, most camo "works" just about anywhere. It's more for us than the critters - IMO/E. I call hundreds of coyotes a year and kill 80% of them within 25yds. I've never really noticed a better success rate with any particular camo over others; and I've killed so many sitting out in Carhardt pants and a jacket. I didn't think any of these patterns I'm considering will be more effective for hunting - the bold patterns seem to work slightly better than busier patterns because the busy ones look more like a solid color at 50+ yards and provide virtually no 'break up." The bold patterns actually break up at long distances. I've done a LOT of experimentation with tent blinds and vehicles at long range and the effect of bold simple patterns, and their superiority (especially to human eyes) can't be denied.

So, really, whatever pattern I pick is really more about the "cool" factor anyway. Lol! I'm just curious which one gets the most "cool" factor among y'all.

I think you nailed it about the bold patterns breaking up at distance, my observation as well. Of the choices you displayed, the GAP fits the bill!

I think you nailed it about the bold patterns breaking up at distance, my observation as well. Of the choices you displayed, the GAP fits the bill!

I think I'be pretty well narrowed it down between the McM and GAP but I'm leaning towards doing the McM just to have something different. There's approx 1,482,926 GAP camo rifles on SH and 3x that on the other hunting/shooting sites I visit. I might just have the painter use an extra 10-15% of the darker green in the McM to make a hybrid between it and the GAP

Actually I think the number is closer to 1,642,426 (I've been counting....)! You might consider a hydro dip, it opens up alot of new camo combinations, my observation from friends that have gone that route is the stuff is pretty durable.

Actually I think the number is closer to 1,642,426 (I've been counting....)! You might consider a hydro dip, it opens up alot of new camo combinations, my observation from friends that have gone that route is the stuff is pretty durable.

I've got some hydro dipped guns and I've worn spots bald within a couple years. Especially around the grip. So I'm going with Cerakote this time. But you're sure right about the dipping adding all sorts of options.

KUIU, because no posers allowed . If you have other KUIU gear that you use as intended it'll work , if you don't, its a fail . Every time I see a 400 lb tub wearing a 4XL pair of KUIU anything it makes me want to puke .

Gap camo, it just looks good, always, especially Manners Gap..Lately I've kinda had a hankering for a Desert or Olive stock and the barrel a perfect Cerakote match

Save you money and get a few cans of krylon. Lol
the only issue with the gap pattern is that there is no black in nature. Even the original olive drab when in the shade becomes black, you pic it right out when observing through optics.
Get the only that looks coolest to you, t won't matter in the field as long as it's not shiny.

Save you money and get a few cans of krylon. Lol
the only issue with the gap pattern is that there is no black in nature. Even the original olive drab when in the shade becomes black, you pic it right out when observing through optics.
Get the only that looks coolest to you, t won't matter in the field as long as it's not shiny.

When you say there is no black in "nature" what does that mean?? Because when I'm out hunting in "nature" I sure seem to see plenty of things that look black??? And really isn't camo more about breaking up a solid object so it doesn't stand out as much??

When you say there is no black in "nature" what does that mean?? Because when I'm out hunting in "nature" I sure seem to see plenty of things that look black??? And really isn't camo more about breaking up a solid object so it doesn't stand out as much??

I think he means that there arent a whole lot of black trees or black grass or black dirt or black rocks. Sure stuff in the shade is darker in appearance or at night it all gets dark but black its self is pretty rare.

Effectiveness of a camo pattern changes based on the distance it's viewed from.
Look at Orkan's pic of the rifle.

Looks pretty good on the rocks.

Zoom into the pic and the camo will begin to lose its effectiveness.

Zoom further out and it begins to disappear.

The black stands out no matter what.

dont get caught up on how it looks today
i took a original green/woodland rifle wolf hunting. of course that camo would not work in the snow, and wolves have insane eyesight.
so i sprayed my rifle white, gray and hit it with some matt clear over the top.
i also put sports tape on the other parts that i didnt want to spray or that would be a pain to get off.
think of camo as "day of"/area of operations silhouette break up.
if not being used for that purpose, then get the one that looks the coolest on your type of rifle.