• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a Creedmoor

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Going to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor for long range shooting (I'm in the UK and it's taken me 5 months to get an authority to purchase a Creedmoor, so it's going to be a Creedmoor and not any other suggestions!)

Purpose of the rifle is to shoot 800-1200 metres regularly and as far as I can push it occasionally. I already have experience up to 1000m with a .308. I'm going to keep the 308 for <800m target and hunting. So the 6.5 will really only be a 800m+ rifle.

Looking for rifle suggestions which are within budget. Since prices are a bit different depending where you are in the world, the budget is about the price of a Tikka TAC A1.

Thinking either of buying rifle in a chassis system already, or buying a barrelled action/cheap stock version and putting it in an MDT chassis.

The contenders so far are
Bergara B14 - have read a lot of people end up replacing the trigger on these. Either the basic rifle + MDT chassis or the factory chassis B14 BMP
Tikka T3x - either a CTR + MDT chassis, or just the TAC A1
Howa 1500 + MDT chassis - Available with a 26 inch barrel vs 24 inch on all the others.... would this be an advantage on a 6.5cm over a 24 inch barrel

Any thoughts on these?

Going to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor for long range shooting (I'm in the UK and it's taken me 5 months to get an authority to purchase a Creedmoor, so it's going to be a Creedmoor and not any other suggestions!)

Purpose of the rifle is to shoot 800-1200 metres regularly and as far as I can push it occasionally. I already have experience up to 1000m with a .308. I'm going to keep the 308 for <800m target and hunting. So the 6.5 will really only be a 800m+ rifle.

Looking for rifle suggestions which are within budget. Since prices are a bit different depending where you are in the world, the budget is about the price of a Tikka TAC A1.

Thinking either of buying rifle in a chassis system already, or buying a barrelled action/cheap stock version and putting it in an MDT chassis.

Bergara B14 - have read a lot of people end up replacing the trigger on these. Either the basic rifle + MDT chassis or the factory chassis B14 BMP
Howa 1500 + MDT chassis - Available with a 26 inch barrel vs 24 inch on all the others.... would this be an advantage on a 6.5cm over a 24 inch barrel

Any thoughts on these?

I think in 2021 you can’t purchase a bad rifle. It’s glass you need to worry about.

If it's limited to those 3, the Tikka. It's an insignificant statistic but my buddy has had both the Begara and Howa. Bolt knob snapped off on Begara and he fought and fought to get a load to work in the Howa. My daughter has run the crap out of her Tikka and now issues so far.

Out of those I’d go tikka. However, if you legit have authority for one and only one then I’d also say AI

Reactions: Newbie2020

Any thoughts on these?
Tikka just announed a new version of their Varmint with a threaded barrel. I would go with that before the CTR or TAC A1. I have a CTR and a Varmint. The extra weight of the Varmint is a plus.

The Remington 700 PCR is also in the right price range, but I'm not convinced Remington has adequate QA. My 308 is a Remington 700 (ADL, which I put in a KRG Bravo stock) and Remington have drilled the rail mounting screw holes in the receiver 3 mils out of true with the barrel. I have the inserts on Burris signature rings mounted part sideways to take out this misalignment.

Tikka, only one of the three you can order a pre fit barrel, stock trigger is pretty good, especially with a spring change. Action is slick as some customs, certainly more so than my stiller that's been through a couple barrels. Plenty of chassis options, mine ran flawless in an xlr with aics mags.

I think in 2021 you can’t purchase a bad rifle. It’s glass you need to worry about.
^^^this

They all shoot lights out. There’s gobs of fans/users of each here on the Hide.

The Howa is a bitch to rebarrel though....

If I were a Brit, out of the rifles you mention I would get the Accuracy International AXSA and never look back. If you're only getting one get the one that works not the one you tinker with.
^^^this second.

Gotta be a used AI somewhere in the UK?...

Several “production” rifles fit your price range. First that comes to mind is the Ruger Precision Rifle which can be purchased with change to spare. The MPA PRM BA (not the Pro) the Bad Rock South Fork are both just a hundred and a half more than the Tikka and either can offer custom performance. Lots of other options at the Tikka TAC A1 price point. Its taken five months to get the authority, do some exploring, during these times delivery is not going to be instant anyway.

Reactions: Newbie2020
The Howa is a bitch to rebarrel though....

Not at all, in fact a Howa 1500 is actually probably the easiest of them all... you don't even need a barrel vise or an action wrench (if the factory barrel is off already). For getting an OEM barrel off, a ubiquitous R700 external action wrench is used, and the newer ones come off fairly easily. After that, a bench vise and crescent wrench is all you need.

The only thing unique to the Howa's is that the barrels are metric threads. Changing over to metric for a barrel is easy, if a 'smith says it's too hard, might want to find another 'smith (because then you've got to wonder what else it is that's too hard for them to grasp)...

It's just a Remage-type barrel-nut setup (a "Howage"), but they probably keep close enough tolerances for shouldered prefits if anyone decided to start making them.

What are the prices of the AI rifles in the UK a lot cheaper then in US ?

I've got a Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor in a GRS BIFROST stock, it shoots superbly.
Cheaper set up than the TAC A1, and shoots on par, and better.
Whatever you choose, hope you enjoy it.

Any of your choices should shoot well however,,,,,
85F3A018-5735-4D5D-9E0A-2052026D7135.jpeg

Tikka or Bergara. Mine both shoot great. It's a toss up on which one. 700 pattern accessories are plentiful and cheap. T3 accessories are few and far between, but generally would only need changed because of personal preference.

Reactions: John p mattei
Will GAP ship to the UK?
Can't - pressure bearing parts including barrels are the restricted parts in the UK, so I'd need to get a new authority to purchase anything but a 6.5mm Creedmoor. There goes another 5 months! On top of this, sending anything out of the US is a no go anyway due to ITAR. Although it's possible, it's expensive and PITA.

Would be interested in opinions on the Howa 1500 option. The pros for this are:
- Available as a barrelled action, so don't need to pay for a throwaway stock or eBay a stock; it can just go straight into an MDT ESS chassis. The saving is about 6 months worth of ammo.
- Howas are available with a 26 inch barrel. Looking at ballistics-by-the-inch, I'll get 30-50fps extra velocity out of a 26 inch. Since I wan't to push this rifle as far as I can, that might be important.

Cons are that it is an less common footprint. And it's Japanese, which is just a bit weird as you can't buy guns in Japan.

20210528_134905.jpg

My new barrelled action.
No cops. No authorizations. No license. No long wait.
I could change my mind midstream and no issues.
It can be anything I want that uses a .473 bolt face.

I think you're in the wrong country...

Sorry, just had to point that out.
6.5 Manbun for the win!!

On top of this, sending anything out of the US is a no go anyway due to ITAR. Although it's possible, it's expensive and PITA.

Hi,

Just a gentle update.....ITAR has pretty much zero control or oversight on firearms, firearms parts and equipment.
ITAR only controls firearms that are:
1. Fires caseless ammunition
2. Fully automatic
3. Integral fire control system (Precision Guided platforms)

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Stoweit
Hi,

Just a gentle update.....ITAR has pretty much zero control or oversight on firearms, firearms parts and equipment.
2. Fully automatic

Sincerely,
Theis
Wow! I know you know what you are talking about, but this baffles me. How come if I go on Eurooptic website and click the cheapest tactical Bushnell it says:

Government Export Restriction
This item may be regulated for export by the U.S. Department of State or the US Department of Commerce. Please see our Export Policy.

Hi,

I have no idea on why they would still have that. We changed the USML Sec 121 a while ago.....

Here is the new updated USML Sec 121 which regulates what the DDTC (ITAR) regulates and has jurisdiction over. Anything not on this list BIS (Dept of Commerce) has jurisdiction over.

Category I, II and III used to be way way way more encompassing to our common off the shelf firearms, parts and equipment.

Edited To Add: Just noticed EuroOptics says Department of Commerce may regulate said items....that is correct. BUT it is not under ITAR control and BIS is significantly easier paperwork process.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: diverdon
Hi,

I have no idea on why they would still have that. We changed the USML Sec 121 a while ago.....

Here is the new updated USML Sec 121 which regulates what the DDTC (ITAR) regulates and has jurisdiction over. Anything not on this list BIS (Dept of Commerce) has jurisdiction over.

Category I, II and III used to be way way way more encompassing to our common off the shelf firearms, parts and equipment.

Edited To Add: Just noticed EuroOptics says Department of Commerce may regulate said items....that is correct. BUT it is not under ITAR control and BIS is significantly easier paperwork process.

Sincerely,
Theis
Thanks!

^ OK, maybe it's not ITAR, but there is a restriction on exporting firearm parts from the US. I tried to have some magazines shipped a few years ago. Not a pleasant experience; after about 2 months I gave up and got them from South Africa. It was the US export which was the problem. They came by ordinary mail from South Africa to the UK, no paperwork, no restrictions.

My new barrelled action.
No cops. No authorizations. No license. No long wait.
I could change my mind midstream and no issues.
It can be anything I want that uses a .473 bolt face.

I think you're in the wrong country...

Sorry, just had to point that out.
6.5 Manbun for the win!!
Yeah, I figured that one. I'm not even British. Seemed like a good idea at the time. You don't want to hear the rest of the restrictions, the wait for an authority to purchase is only a part of the PITA.

Although it's pretty easy to buy a suppressor. Going to pick another one up next time I make it to a shop.

Yeah, I figured that one. I'm not even British. Seemed like a good idea at the time. You don't want to hear the rest of the restrictions, the wait for an authority to purchase is only a part of the PITA.

Although it's pretty easy to buy a suppressor. Going to pick another one up next time I make it to a shop.

That's the crazy part isn't it?
A tax stamp for a muffler...

Hi,

2. Fully automatic

Sincerely,
Theis

LOL, really?

I wonder why everything from optics to tactical toothbrushes have ITAR warnings?

TACA1 again…pure pleasure and ease to shoot and maintain. I have the folder that is wonderful for bag optionality. Run an NX8 4-32 w an Atlas Cal firing retail 140eldm through an Ultra7. All shooting errors are mine, but this rifle helps to mask a great deal of them. 500rds through and extremely satisfied.

If you want to shoot a Howa bravo (1500 Varmint in a krg bravo stock) we can meet at Orion, its my 6.5cm.

There's also a range bergara b14 HMR, and he has a tikka t3 but it's in 30-06 so only good for trigger evaluation I suppose.

Of the options you present (because AICS isn't magically affordable just cos we're in blighty...)... Tikka tac. The others all require fettling, this will need the least.

Reactions: Biscuits
If you want to shoot a Howa bravo (1500 Varmint in a krg bravo stock) we can meet at Orion, its my 6.5cm.

There's also a range bergara b14 HMR, and he has a tikka t3 but it's in 30-06 so only good for trigger evaluation I suppose.

Of the options you present (because AICS isn't magically affordable just cos we're in blighty...)... Tikka tac. The others all require fettling, this will need the least.
I’d like to get the rifle buying going this coming week, so I can zero it in June and use it fully in July. Maybe no time for a trip to Orion on that schedule.

But interested to hear what you think of your Howa 1500, ie action feels premium/feels budget etc. I think I might have fired that Orion B14 HMR. I wasn’t paying attention to the rifle, so can’t remember too much about it other than it was better at hitting distant stuff than my 308 (which is now in a KRG Bravo stock).

I certainly wouldn't call it premium. The bolt release lever and safety are very light and stamped. They work but not in a sexy way. I'm only about 300 rounds in but I really didn't like the feel of the bolt and still only tolerate it rather than enjoy. The bravo stock is... OK. The cheek piece is pretty flexy. The grip ergos feel... OK. For PRL it will be better than a plain hunting stock but I'd rather a GRS berserk.

HOWEVER it goes bang when it should, is more accurate than I am, and produces about 2780fps with HPS custom loads so it's doing its job.

Just don't buy a £600 action expecting it to feel like a custom. Even the workhorse Rem 700 at orion has nearly £2k of blueprint/truing work, which is why it's so nice. But that much money, you could be looking at a Sako TRG or custom from Dolphin.

Go with a Tikka T3. They're phenomenal right out of the box and there's a ton of aftermarket parts for them. Considering you're in the UK they'll likely be available and there are a ton of stock, trigger, and barrel options coming from Europe which will be nice for the pocket book.

My friend, @GBMaryland , has a Tika in 6.5 CM and I believe he has found it to shoot wonderfully and his benchmarks are rifles like Sako and he has a number of them.

Perhaps he will offer a view here.

Ihave not shot a Tika but have handled one and the action is very smooth in my uneducated opinion and, as said, I have never heard anyone complain about its precision and accuracy.

Are you familiar w the trigger spring mentioned above? Apparently for $10 you can get a spring to replace OEM one and it makes a world of diff.

Can’t remember the name of the source for them but I’m sure someone in this thread does.

best of luck.

Reactions: GBMaryland
I have a Howa 1500 and a Tikka. I bought a second Tikka.

Also to add...until you said you weren't British all of your posts were being read in my head in a British accent. 💂

Yeah, haven't been able to get the tikka to group...

1622650859579.png

Whoops, pulled the first shot, put the other 4 in the sameish hole. 142 SMKs / Alpha brass. OEM 24in barrel.

Reactions: 260284 and Baron23

Any thoughts on these?
I have a Tika T3X sporter (set trigger) 6.5 Creedmoor. I put 500 shots on the 24" barrel and then had a 30" Kreiger installed. I think if you purchase a factory rifle you will likely change the barrel to shoot long range. 30" barrel gives 150 fps higher velocity over 24" with no chamber pressure change. Why not build a rifle with MDT chassis + receiver + 30" barrel (cut rifling) + trigger. Use a front rest and rear bag.

Sauer 100 Classic XT. Very accurate, great trigger out of the box, 3 position safety and a nice factory stock. Very good value for money at sub $1000.