• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a load

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2008
Chester, Virginia
Help! I have just completed at ladder test and here are the groups from the best 4.

42.9 and 43.5 grains of Varget seems to be the best.

Velocity on the 42.9 are 2603 aveerage and he 43.5 is 2634.

Let me know what y'all think

P5210146.jpg

P5210145.jpg

P5210144.jpg

Re: Help me pick a load

I'd load 10 of each and shoot them for groups again. If they tie again then go with the lower charge weight. I don't know if you half split it (43.3 gr) if it would get tighter.

Are these groups at 100 yards?

100yards hide most things bad.

If you have velocity figures for those loads post them up.

I would go for the one with the lowest ES/SD (the most consistent MV), OR if you dont have that info, the one that prints the lowest vertical dispersion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd load 10 of each and shoot them for groups again. </div></div>

That is one reasonable strategy.

The other resonable strategy* is to make 5-shot groups in a sweep from just below one group that shot well up through the other group that shot well. In this way you can survey the range of charge weights that shoot well. If you get lucky, you might even find that your gun likes a wide window, and this leads to throw-and-go reloading (i.e. easy).

(*) not that we are limited to only two strategies....

Don't see what the problem is. Your shooting sub moa. Trust me, you will drive your self crazy finding that perfect load. Stick with the second load

Next test I'd do is at 200 yards minimum.

Load up one round each at 42.8, 42.9, 43.0, 43.1, 43.2, 43.3, 42.4, 43.5 and 43.6.

Fire them all into the same group keeping track of each round's point of impact...IOW, walk out between shots and actually mark them to identify the charge weight.

If they all fall into the same nice pretty group then the middle charge of 43.2 is your load. Repeat the test a couple more times to confirm.

Benifit: a +/- pressure tolerance above and below your load that will come into play with such things as differences in lot numbers, case capacities, and differences in ambient temperatures.