• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help me pick a new caliber

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I have a rem 700 SPS in .308 right now. I have a new friend that is a machinist/gunsmith and I decided to change the gun up a little. I cant decide what caliber I want to change the rifle to, I think I want to stay with something with the same boltface as the .308. I was thinking I want to keep it short and light, and maybe something not so popular. I have no idea about custom rifles as I have never had one before. Any tips or suggestions?

Re: help me pick a new caliber

How not so popular do you want to go? It sounds like you're keeping the SA Rem 700 action with the .473" boltface leaving you a number of options. Do you reload? Quoting Dave Tooley from another post:

"Here's your questions that need to be answered in this order.
Pick your distance, look at accurate bullets availalbe with a BC high enough to get the job done, decide on the velocity needed, look for good quality brass then pick your cartridge."

I do reload, the longest shot I have is 500 yds, and it will be a hunting rifle. Whitetail deer, hogs. I was also thinking about staying .30 cal or larger, I can change that if necessary.

Go 7/08! that way you can keep your brass and just neck them down to 7mm, and you can shoot 162 A-Max's

260 rem. All the components that you are using in reloading the .308 will work for the 260. Better ballistic performance. Or its ackley variant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6XC. </div></div>

+1

I like these 3 choices. What is a 6XC? I have plenty of 6mm,7mm, and .30 bullets, so I would like to stay in there somewhere. What kind of options do I have if I change the bolt and stay in the 3 caliber diameters above?

Seriously though the 308 to 500yds would have lots of energy and good accuracy. The 6mm are not going to have tons of energy at 500yds. One of the 6.5's is probably the way to go. If you want the best of both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go 7/08! that way you can keep your brass and just neck them down to 7mm, and you can shoot 162 A-Max's </div></div>

Pretty much what I was going to type. 7-08 has 6.5 type wind bucking with the Amax's (published BC of .625) and packs a better punch.
If you are going for an out and out precision/comp gun, its hard to get the really high velocities out of. I'm happy with the around 2725 I've been getting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go 7/08! that way you can keep your brass and just neck them down to 7mm, and you can shoot 162 A-Max's </div></div>

Pretty much what I was going to type. 7-08 has 6.5 type wind bucking with the Amax's (published BC of .625) and packs a better punch.
<span style="font-weight: bold">If you are going for an out and out precision/comp gun, its hard to get the really high velocities out of</span>. I'm happy with the around 2725 I've been getting. </div></div>

True! but it sure does make for a nice cheater round when you are shooting with a bunch of friends at 1K yds who are all using 308's
laugh.gif

I would go with the 260 and use 107s or 120s at 200/300 and 142s at 600 on out.
If you want to be exotic 358 Win is an alternative. I just barreled on up in 358 just for a gun gun. Got a mold coming that sold put on about 285 gr. bullets.

I have been wanting to build a .338 Federal chambered and twisted for the 250 or 300 grain Matchkings. Just an idea.

not so popular for hunting 6br or 6.5br or what I am building 6mm dasher. think short efficient and very accurate

go .45acp with a can and never look back or if thats too neutered for you go 7.62x39. best sniper load ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go .45acp with a can and never look back or if thats too neutered for you go 7.62x39. best sniper load ever. </div></div>

ahuh..
cool.gif
wink.gif

30 caliber? Easy! Do the .30-'06. Damnfew critters it won't dump pretty much DRT (Dead Right There). Target shooting effective out to at very least 1Kyd. Would probably still be winning Palma if the .308 shooters hadn't gotten it outlawed.

Do it. Don't look back.

Greg

.308 short action, go 7mm-08, .260 rem AI, or .243 AI..

If you open up the boltface you could run .25 WSSM. Not a wild cat but not common. Same Ballistics as .25-06 just cooler looking. Only problem is Lapua dosen't make brass.

My next will be a fast twist straight up .22-243...

Of everything listed above, considering the intended use, I would go with a .308 Win.
RTH

After reviewing the original post (Silly Me...), I realized the work would be done on a short action, so maybe my .30-'06 suggestion isn't so germaine.

IMHO, the .30-'06 and .260 shoot along very similar trajectories, with the LR terminal performance of the .260 falling into somewhere between the .308 and .30-'06.

If I had a Short Action and wanted to shoot the .30-'06, I wouldn't despair. It single feeds fine, and removing an unfired round is not a chore as long as one is capable/willing to utilize the bolt release to get a tad more bolt stroke. Works fine, and honestly, doesn't come up that often.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I decided on the 6.5x47 Lapua. What barrel and where to get it? </div></div>

Bruno's or Sinclair might have one in stock if you are in a hurry.Get a 8 twist.

Otherwise whoever's going to build your rifle can order one.Krieger,Bartlien,Cut Rifled,Brux,Broughton are some of the better ones.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6x47 Lapua </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 26pt">YEP!</span><span style="font-size: 26pt">
smile.gif
</span>

Steve