• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help me pick a new shotgun.

bohica17

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Canal Winchester Ohio
So not really a topic for this website, but I need a new auto loader. It will be used for turkey season, one pheasant hunt a year, and maybe some geese. Mossberg 940 pro turkey is at top of my list followed by beretta a300. Yes I know asking one shotgun to do three things equally is hard. Just hoping I can pull some knowledge from you guys. Sold a benelli nova to upgrade to auto.

Beretta A400 really not much of a competition.
A400 Extreme is prob the best qual and most versatile shotgun out there.

If you can find an Xtrema 2 used in good condition you can save a good bit and have pretty much the same performance IMO

I bought the A300 Ultima last year. Awesome gun! 3” if that matters

Reactions: Baron23
Is it true there was a known problem with the a300 but they went ahead and released it? Seen on Reddit and other forums last night. Everyone here seems to love it. And not much love for the 940 I see

I’m a Benelli fan. M2 if you’re looking for an all-round field gun (black, ugly, but can be used for all upland game as well as a paddle in a pinch).

Montefeltro if you want something pretty.

Both balance beautifully, good after market support, and reliable as hell.

I ran a M2 as my 3-gun shotty with a NC +7 extension for a bunch of years and was/is also my go-to for duck, pheasant and chukars. Speaking of chukars, a lot of rock scrambling and I always preferred the M2 ugly stock for those hikes rather than a wooden stock.

Shoots flite-control wad turkey loads well with the right choke (great on MGM Spinners in 3-gun).

I like my Franchi Affinity - have used it for dove, pheasant, and sporting clays so far. I've ran 3" 2's and BB's through it on a pattern board and they worked well enough if my memory serves, haven't ran them in the field though. I'd imagine it would fare well enough for turkey if I ever decided to do that.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I have a 930 waterfowl for my wife. She shoots sporting clays with it like a champ and it runs perfect. I also bought a noveski tube and a short barrel for it for 3gun etc. 10 minute swap and it has lots of jobs. I picked the 930 for her originally cause with the gas system it uses it is a very soft shooter and she just a little thing. The way her gun runs with well over 3,000 rounds through it I wouldn’t say anything bad about your mossberg pick. The a400 is a bad ass rig also. Be careful buying a turkey gun to also shoot upland birds and geese with cause they typically come with a shorter say 24” barrel. Cool for turkey but you’ll want more length like a 28” for everything else. I still hunt turkey with a 28” 1187 and never had a problem moving it around in the turkey woods.don’t be scared of that mossberg my wife’s is a beast and never had a malfunction even once.

Reactions: bohica17
I don’t own a semi-auto, but my BIL’a Winchester SX4 is pretty awesome. I’ve shot some pheasant, a few ducks, and trap & sporting clays with it, and never felt it was lacking. Very soft shooting, seemingly great for all purposes.

To add to jg6.5 affinity comment, my friend just bought a frianchi not sure on the exact model but dam that thing is nice and seems priced right also.

Reactions: jg6.5
I did the 12 gauge, 12 gauge 3 1/2 semi-auto thing for about 20 years.

20 gauge citori is what I use now for waterfowl and such, lined up and shot 2 skunks with one round a couple nights ago.

Owned 11-87, 11-87 super mag, super x3, benelli SBEII, Benelli SBE, Stoeger 3500, and there may be a couple I'm forgetting.

It'll be over/under or side/side for me for the rest of my days. Couldn't care less about not having the 3rd shot.

Reactions: Modoc
Grab one these bad boys and then report back to us if it’s as awesome as YouTube says it is

• Haha
Reactions: Anb618
Love all the recommendations that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP’s stated goals or choices…

Anyhow, I vote Beretta. They have gas shotgun design down to an art by now. I have been shooting the same 391 for a very long time.

I have a 930 waterfowl for my wife. She shoots sporting clays with it like a champ and it runs perfect. I also bought a noveski tube and a short barrel for it for 3gun etc. 10 minute swap and it has lots of jobs. I picked the 930 for her originally cause with the gas system it uses it is a very soft shooter and she just a little thing. The way her gun runs with well over 3,000 rounds through it I wouldn’t say anything bad about your mossberg pick. The a400 is a bad ass rig also. Be careful buying a turkey gun to also shoot upland birds and geese with cause they typically come with a shorter say 24” barrel. Cool for turkey but you’ll want more length like a 28” for everything else. I still hunt turkey with a 28” 1187 and never had a problem moving it around in the turkey woods.don’t be scared of that mossberg my wife’s is a beast and never had a malfunction even once.
Yea I’d really like a 26” barrel on the 940, the amount of trigger problems Iv read about in the a300 scares me.

I did the 12 gauge, 12 gauge 3 1/2 semi-auto thing for about 20 years.

20 gauge citori is what I use now for waterfowl and such, lined up and shot 2 skunks with one round a couple nights ago.

Owned 11-87, 11-87 super mag, super x3, benelli SBEII, Benelli SBE, Stoeger 3500, and there may be a couple I'm forgetting.

It'll be over/under or side/side for me for the rest of my days. Couldn't care less about not having the 3rd shot.
I bought a stoeger condor 20 gauge and I love it. Iv thought about just getting a nice 12 over under as well.

That's because a lot of us have shot Mossbergs.
Yea as have I, sold a youth 500 years ago because the safety broke. The 940 is completely revamped with some big name shooters help with it. The treated gas system inside as well intrigued me. Reviews are great, this gun will be 90% turkey, one tower pheasant a year, and maybe tag along goose hunt. Big maybe.

Yea as have I, sold a youth 500 years ago because the safety broke. The 940 is completely revamped with some big name shooters help with it.
A Mossberg pump is an entirely different animal than an auto.
They had those same big shooters help with the 930 also, and it's infamous as the biggest pile of shit ever. The running joke is that Jerry Miculek has the only one that works.
Every match weekend for years I'd watch guys claim their 930 ran flawlessly, then watch them clear malfunctions so often that it became second nature and didn't realize they were doing it. They'd finish a stage and make the flawless claim again and you'd tell them to watch their video. It was funny when they saw a bunch of malfs on video that didn't realize they had.
All the 930's eventually made it into the trash and they've gone extinct. Some gullible owners fell for the trap again, I watched the new crop of 940's roll in a year ago, and they're already being phased out, for good reason

Reactions: JPC13 and bohica17
I bought a used Extrema a couple years ago, don't recall which generation. There were a couple things about it I didn't like, and literally had it back up for sale on Gunbroker the same day I brought it home.

I've shot several 930's.

I would buy that Extrema over again between the two.

I picked up a Beretta A300 outlander (black plastic) a couple years ago to use for duck hunting. I like it a lot, it compliments my Beretta AL390 with walnut stock (too nice to beat on duck hunting). The A300 works as it should, from the crappy low brass "game loads" to 3"steel at 1550fps. I have been using a Benelli Montifeltro 20g for upland birds lately, I love the light weight of that 20g, I can carry that thing all day, (it has nice wood also).

Mike

Price range is now 13-1500 every gun Iv been recommended has negative reviews. Shits killing me. Money basically isn’t an issue. Not going past $1500 was checking out franchi elite but good lord the issues with those if read about as well scares me. Idk what to do. Gun will mainly be used for turkey and one pheasant hunt a year and would like to help thin the goose population. Is this the best option? You guys seem to love the 300. Just making sure I don’t overlook something. Everything from SBE 2, A5, a300, etc has nightmare fuel. The a400 seems to be a beast just a tad past what I want to spend.

Attachments

• 8FB77B53-DD3B-49DF-8646-E30237521B24.png
    8FB77B53-DD3B-49DF-8646-E30237521B24.png
    751 KB · Views: 67
Price range is now 13-1500 every gun Iv been recommended has negative reviews. Shits killing me. Money basically isn’t an issue. Not going past $1500 was checking out franchi elite but good lord the issues with those if read about as well scares me. Idk what to do. Gun will mainly be used for turkey and one pheasant hunt a year and would like to help thin the goose population. Is this the best option? You guys seem to love the 300. Just making sure I don’t overlook something. Everything from SBE 2, A5, a300, etc has nightmare fuel. The a400 seems to be a beast just a tad past what I want to spend.
I have that same one you listed. But in the black. Has several things the A400 has. I like mine so do others I know that have them. Duck and goose hunting mainly.

Worse case you find out you don’t like it and sell it for something else

Thread I started last year before purchasing the A300

The A300 is decently light weight. Compared to my Benelli supernova and Mossberg 835 anyways. When I picked up the A300 after my cousin bought one it just fit and pointed excellent for me. Best shotgun I’ve shouldered fit wise but that is just me and my body. Doesn’t mean you’ll have same results

I like the extended charging latch and bolt release. Also when I strip it down I’m very impressed with how smooth and finished the parts of the gun are compared to my Benelli and Mossberg. Realize I’m comparing $900 beretta vs $500 Benelli though. I’m sure the black eagles are much better machined

Getting advice on the internet is all good and dandy, and most of these guys are offering solid options.

But, at the end of the day, find out what feels best to you. Go to the local shop and handle them all. One will eventually stick out. Hell, go to a trap/skeet club and see if anyone will let you shoot their gun.

Shameless plug for the Franchi Affinity. I handled Winchester’s, Berettas, etc over the years, and the Benelli M2 and Franchi Affinity were tied. The Affinity is 90% of the M2, for less $$. Guess what’s in the safe?

Getting advice on the internet is all good and dandy, and most of these guys are offering solid options.

But, at the end of the day, find out what feels best to you. Go to the local shop and handle them all. One will eventually stick out. Hell, go to a trap/skeet club and see if anyone will let you shoot their gun.

Shameless plug for the Franchi Affinity. I handled Winchester’s, Berettas, etc over the years, and the Benelli M2 and Franchi Affinity were tied. The Affinity is 90% of the M2, for less $$. Guess what’s in the safe?
Affinity is weighing heavily on this decision now

What issues exactly? Not trying to be a smartass, just surprises me if something has seriously gone south in the Benelli/Franchi world…

I’ve had nothing but good luck with mine so far, so much so that I’m actually looking at picking up an elite upland or a Benelli Montefeltro to compliment it.

What issues exactly? Not trying to be a smartass, just surprises me if something has seriously gone south in the Benelli/Franchi world…

I’ve had nothing but good luck with mine so far, so much so that I’m actually looking at picking up an elite upland or a Benelli Montefeltro to compliment it.
You’re not being a smartass man. I read about finish’s wearing off and warped barrels for the affinity, the a300 I read about trigger problems, failure to fire. I know nothing is perfect but I just don’t want to pull the trigger on a turkey and it click and think back to this thread. My internet history right now is ridiculous with every gun Iv looked at

You’re not being a smartass man. I read about finish’s wearing off and warped barrels for the affinity, the a300 I read about trigger problems, failure to fire. I know nothing is perfect but I just don’t want to pull the trigger on a turkey and it click and think back to this thread. My internet history right now is ridiculous with every gun Iv looked at
Stop obsessing over every solitary bad review. Even Benelli is going to put out a turd every now and then. Pick the gun that fits your budget, fits your requirements, and fits yourself. If it ends up having issues, that’s the luck of the draw. If you bought a reputable brand, send it in to CS and they’ll take care of it.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Interesting.

I know the elite uplands (and others from Franchi) are Cerakoted, which is typically good stuff. No surface applied finish out there is 100% impervious to everything though. Maybe a batch with improper surface prep or something 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I’m on the “take internet bitching with a grain of salt” train, people generally more apt to gripe than they are to sing praises.

Don’t let analysis paralysis bite you, just pick literally any of the ones you’ve mentioned and shoot the shit out of it 👍🏻.

Reactions: Anb618
Interesting.

I know the elite uplands (and others from Franchi) are Cerakoted, which is typically good stuff. No surface applied finish out there is 100% impervious to everything though. Maybe a batch with improper surface prep or something 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I’m on the “take internet bitching with a grain of salt” train, people generally more apt to gripe than they are to sing praises.

Don’t let analysis paralysis bite you, just pick literally any of the ones you’ve mentioned and shoot the shit out of it 👍🏻.
Ugh dude shits so hard when there is so many good options. I’m about to just send you a check and say pick for me.

• Haha
Reactions: jg6.5
I have a Remi 1187 semi as well as a Benelli SBE2 semi. Both can take 3.5in shells. Both have been great turkey guns for me. I had high hopes that the “Inertia” system on the Benelli would shoot softer than my 1187…but it just hasn’t been the case. I find my SBE to have a much sharper recoil.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Do some research on what South American dove guides use. Nobody runs more shells through a shotgun than those guys. When I was looking for a 20g I looked at what the Argentine dove guides used and why. You would be surprised how many shells go through those guns in a year. Most are shooting 20g, but it will give you an idea of manufactures products.

Mike

@TonyTheTiger do I recall correctly that you post a fair bit on the Brian Enos forum, and usually sing the praises of the Beretta 1301? Surprised to see no one has mentioned it here.

Is it just a case of the 1301 is better for 3 gun whereas the OP wants a hunting gun and the A400 is better suited to that?

The A300 is decently light weight. Compared to my Benelli supernova and Mossberg 835 anyways. When I picked up the A300 after my cousin bought one it just fit and pointed excellent for me. Best shotgun I’ve shouldered fit wise but that is just me and my body. Doesn’t mean you’ll have same results

I like the extended charging latch and bolt release. Also when I strip it down I’m very impressed with how smooth and finished the parts of the gun are compared to my Benelli and Mossberg. Realize I’m comparing $900 beretta vs $500 Benelli though. I’m sure the black eagles are much better machined
Nope, I bought a Black Eagle II in about 2003/4. Still have it. My first impression was “they charged me how much for this crap?” Haha

But I came to love it. You can use it as an oar and it’ll still shoot. Important factor in a waterfowl gun. It never froze up on me and if it got a bit balky in the blind or boat, a couple drops of break free set it right.

But finely machined metal…eh, not IME.

CHEERS

I have a Remi 1187 semi as well as a Benelli SBE2 semi. Both can take 3.5in shells. Both have been great turkey guns for me. I had high hopes that the “Inertia” system on the Benelli would shoot softer than my 1187…but it just hasn’t been the case. I find my SBE to have a much sharper recoil.
Gas gun will, IMO, always be softer than an inertial. What the inertial has going for it is robustness based on its simplicity, in my view. Wet, frozen, mud…the waterfowler environment. IMO, that where the SBEs shine.

@TonyTheTiger do I recall correctly that you post a fair bit on the Brian Enos forum, and usually sing the praises of the Beretta 1301? Surprised to see no one has mentioned it here.

Is it just a case of the 1301 is better for 3 gun whereas the OP wants a hunting gun and the A400 is better suited to that?
Yup, although BE is pretty slow these days.
Most of the things I love about the 1301 seem to carry over to the rest of the product line, but I'm not a bird hunter and don't really know what they're after in a gun so I hesitate to recommend the 1301 for things other than the game it's built for when they already have hunting specific products. It also maxes out at a 24" barrel which seems like a big negative in bird world.

I had high hopes that the “Inertia” system on the Benelli would shoot softer than my 1187…but it just hasn’t been the case. I find my SBE to have a much sharper recoil.
I'm always dumbfounded when I see reviews or fanbois say "very soft, cuz inertia". They're great guns no doubt but they're snappy and anyone who says otherwise is lying or blinded by investment bias.

Winchester sx3 is what I've shot for the last 8 years. Pheasant, ducks, geese, trap, skeet, sporting clays. Ran when I used to guide snow goose hunts in the spring with a tube and a code black choke. Was the goose sniper rifle. (I know not a rifle)

Plus I'm a lefty and the saftey is reversible so I can use it. I have beat the piss out of this gun. Only time I ever have issues is if it really really freshly clean. It dosnt like running light loads when it's squeaky clean.

I’m a Benelli fan. M2 if you’re looking for an all-round field gun (black, ugly, but can be used for all upland game as well as a paddle in a pinch).

Montefeltro if you want something pretty.

Both balance beautifully, good after market support, and reliable as hell.

I ran a M2 as my 3-gun shotty with a NC +7 extension for a bunch of years and was/is also my go-to for duck, pheasant and chukars. Speaking of chukars, a lot of rock scrambling and I always preferred the M2 ugly stock for those hikes rather than a wooden stock.

Shoots flite-control wad turkey loads well with the right choke (great on MGM Spinners in 3-gun).
What is the stock LOP on the M2? My benelli M4 was unusable for me with the factory stock (LOP was 14.5 IIRC).

What is the stock LOP on the M2? My benelli M4 was unusable for me with the factory stock (LOP was 14.5 IIRC).

14.25-14.5”. Supposedly you can get a shorter butt pad for the M2 line. Check their website.

Personally, get a good shotgun COACH to help you find what fits YOU. I run a box stock Beretta BL2 in 12ga, but when I do the focus on target and mount the shotgun with my eyes closed drill, it’s right on target. A properly fit shotgun is a must for success in hunting AND shotgun sports.

Beretta A400 fan here. Currently shoot 12ga and 20ga. This is after shooting all the B shotguns along with REM and even a Caesar Guerini.

"very soft, cuz inertia".
I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that. lol

I'm not claiming the Benelli is a finely machined thing either, but you can't compare the guts of the Nova/SuperNova to any of the semis. They're great guns but cheaper than everything else they sell for a reason.