• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help me pick a rifle

cruzie27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
(570) PA.
looking to trade in my starter gun and get something with a little more range,. so far i have settled on:

1. i want a Remington
2. i want .300 Win Mag

theres a pile of rifles that fit this so far so how do i narrow them down? i am not much of a bolt guy as i love my gas guns,. but i understand i do need at least one good bolt gun. so this one bolt gun has to be good for everything from punching holes in paper targets to punching holes in deer & elk.

what model, barrel length, twist rateam i looking for?

i have a .308 SPS tactical,. and it is a great starter gun,. but i am wanting something more now.

Re: help me pick a rifle

Remington Sendero. Already comes with a good stock, and with a bit of minor tweaking (bedding the action) you can have a well-performing rifle straight from the factory.

There you go. Just need to supply your CC information
wink.gif

The Sendero could be a tag lighter, that for hunting might be a plus.

it does not need to be all that light,i'll take weight to recoil anyday.. im a big boy and dont mind giving my arms a workout going up and down a mountain or two.

there are some nicer choices on Remingtons LE site for sure,. the 700P sounds like just the thing i am looking for.

ETA: the TRG's seem nice,. but i'll stick with a Remington,. i got family in Ilion
wink.gif

Remington 700 XCR in 300 win mag. Very accurate out of the box. Great trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700 5R Milspec in 300 WM </div></div>

I did not know they made a 5R in .300 Win Mag,.. That would be even better for what I want,.. Got a model number or part number I can have the guys at the fun shop look for?

If you can find a Steyr SSG04 in 300 Win Mag, jump on it. Comes standard with adj. cheekpiece, LOP, bipod, muzzle brake, 8rd magazine. Very accurate out of the box and would serve your double-duty needs very well. I owned one and was very pleased with it, but missed the 338 Lapua too much, so I sold it.

cruzie27 - Remington did a limited run of 5rs in 300WM (250 or 500, I forget which) and in 223 a while back. Will try to dig up the part #... as with the 5r in 308 its a non-catalog item and only certain dealers get 'em - FYI. As other members have said, a few have been sold/traded on the hide. I've seen them on Gunbroker as well...

Easier than I thought it would be... part no is 85505.

Here are the specs (plan on switching out the x-mark trigger):

11.25 Inch Twist.

Five lands and grooves

Eleven degree target crown.

Caliber: .300 Win. Mag.

Barrel Length: 24

Part No : 85505

Model : M700SS 5R Milspec

Weight : 9 Pounds

Stock : HS Precision PSV74

I had a great experience with the Remington Sendero SF (stainless fluted) .300 Win Mag in a McMillan A2 stock.... Still regret parting with that one! It had "The Answer" muzzle brake on it which brought the felt recoil down to about a .270..... If I ever come accross another it will be added back to the stable in a heart beat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easier than I thought it would be... part no is 85505.

Here are the specs (plan on switching out the x-mark trigger):

11.25 Inch Twist.

Five lands and grooves

Eleven degree target crown.

Caliber: .300 Win. Mag.

Barrel Length: 24

Part No : 85505

Model : M700SS 5R Milspec

Weight : 9 Pounds

Stock : HS Precision PSV74
</div></div>

hmm, they found some but there supplier is listing them as 1:10 twist. Maybe just a typo, price is not bad at all. Pretty sure i am going to tell them to order one in for me.

So,. A stainless steel gun,. What's the best way to make it black & beautiful / evil? Or would it be best to just leave it with the factory finish?

Yeah... it is a 1:10 - must be a typo in what I copied/pasted.

I hear you on the stainless - I'm also struggling with trying to figure out how to finish a 5r build (just dropped my 5r in 308 into an McM A4). I'll probably do that while or after (see below) the action is trued, bedded, etc.

This guy (Toby) tried a few options and in the end he had some sucess with duracoating:

http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11/remington-700-ss-5r-milspec.html

and

http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11/duracoat-rifle-paint.html

Personally, I am strongly leaning towards sending my 5r to Walter Birdsong for his infamous "Black T" finish.

Cruzie, if you want next time you come down to hit up DelMarVa (which there's a big shoot there in November, on the 15th--hint hint) I'd be happy to shoot something for you with Duracoat. We're out of the worthless shanty on base and have a nice-sized townhouse now.
wink.gif

I'm gonna throw out a vote (realistically this time) for either a Sendero or 5R. Both are stainless/10 twist, the Sendero is fluted, and either should shoot superbly for you.

i am pretty sure i am going to go with the 5R,. the fluting on the other one is very nice,.but i really dont want to pay more than i have to as i would rather spend it on ammo and range time.

so november huh?

want me to bring both .50's down?
grin.gif

i STILL do not have glass for the Barret,.seems i keep buying guns and then when i do buy glass for the 82 i end up putting it on other rifles. like the one 10x i just bought ended up on the M1A,. the one on my SPS could work on it but i am trading the whole package in for the new rifle. i did just order a Lepold Mk4 but i want to use that on the new Remington.

maybe by then i'll have some glass for it,. maybe not. but if you want me to haul it down i will. i have the irons zeroed (so the trees down there are safe) and at least a mag or two you can blast thru.

gotta see about getting ahold of some API or APIT again,. i have a armor plate target we can beat up on.

i'll definatly drag down the M1A an PSL,. maybe the FS2k, para FAL or Mega Machine w/ACOG on top, i wish it was easier to bring down my NFA stuff but it is what it is. the M1A should be dialed in with my copy of Bulletflight by then,. so i am really looking forward to getting down there.

glad you go out of the shoebox, gotta have room for the furry ones to roam you know.

Hey here's a thought! Keisler's Police Supply in Indiana has some Remington XCR's in 300 win mag on special for $950!! They are factory seconds or something like that. I'll pm you with a link!

I just looked on Keisler's website and all the XCR's are gone. Looks like they have some 700P's in 300 win mag though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txfireman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the one in the for sale section is still there, have you thought about contacting that guy? </div></div>

i did see it and i was considering it,. but knowing me i will kick my self if i do not get one that is NIB,. i did the same thing when i got my Barrett.

May I suggest a GAP Rock in 300 win mag. Still a Remington, but all done, all you need is glass and rings. Even their base tactical rifle without an M-5 for a little less.