• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a scope

mj23polaris

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2019
Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt
Burris xtr III 3-18 scr mil
Mark 5 HD cch/tremor

I can get the Leupold for industry price, euro optic has the nx8 for $1700 and the burris is $1250

Scopes have reticles I like for accurate holds In wind, I contacted burris and the windage on new ones is capped, even though in pictures on say euro optic it's not. So all have capped windage. All are sub 30oz And illuminated

Gun is a 18in AR shooting steel and coyotes 300-800yds in a windy area.

I'm leaning towards the nightforce, am I making the wrong decision? I feel like it'll meet my criteria with the reticle and durability. Without owning a NF ever I feel like if I put it in a quality mount and mounted right I can trust it to hold zero through being packed around and being used. The internet has put a bad taste in my mouth for Leupold durability and I'd have to buy a new mount because of 35mm.

But the burris I save a bunch of money and money saved could be used for other things haha.

In my experience, Nightforce has extremely clear glass - no aberration at all, but that's for their ATACR line. I haven't personally used anything from their NX8 line, but I don't think you'd be making a mistake going with that.

The main advantage of the Mk5HD over similar scopes is weight savings for a given magnification range; the glass definitely isn't bad, but shows some color distortion at high magnification. And, like you said, weirdo tube diameter.

Nothing much to say about Burris, no experience there. If you're in an area with lots of foliage, slightly muddy glass may not even be noticeable against the leafy background. If you are out in the open, high desert or plains, you'll definitely notice if the Burris happens to have Vaseline glass.

Glass is the best in the NX8 out of those but DOF/parallax sucks. Mark 5 has slightly better glass than the XTR3, but XTR3 has best eyebox and FOV. Of those 3, I’d pick the XTR3.

I’d check out the Razor LHT for your use

A shallower depth of field is not necessarily a bad thing if you're trying to read mirage at different distances - you can make finer focal slices through the air in front of you. Of course, that doesn't matter if it's so windy that the mirage is blown out. On the other hand, if you need to transition between targets at different ranges, shallow DoF could get annoying fast.

Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt
Burris xtr III 3-18 scr mil
Mark 5 HD cch/tremor

I can get the Leupold for industry price, euro optic has the nx8 for $1700 and the burris is $1250

Scopes have reticles I like for accurate holds In wind, I contacted burris and the windage on new ones is capped, even though in pictures on say euro optic it's not. So all have capped windage. All are sub 30oz And illuminated

Gun is a 18in AR shooting steel and coyotes 300-800yds in a windy area.

I'm leaning towards the nightforce, am I making the wrong decision? I feel like it'll meet my criteria with the reticle and durability. Without owning a NF ever I feel like if I put it in a quality mount and mounted right I can trust it to hold zero through being packed around and being used. The internet has put a bad taste in my mouth for Leupold durability and I'd have to buy a new mount because of 35mm.

But the burris I save a bunch of money and money saved could be used for other things haha.
Of those 3 options... Nightforce.

Many say the Nightforce has been revised and the shit glass is fixed. I haven't personally looked through a newer 2.5-20. I hate shallow depth of field. I think the ruggedness is there.

No experience with the 3-18 burris, but have 2 5-30. The glass in the 5-30 is the best you will find for the money. They are also bombproof.

My whole family shoots and hunts and gear gets beat to death. Both Burris scopes have been dropped under 15 lb guns in the last month. After the drop I took them behind the house and shot the 4" steel at 450 yds a few times. They were both good to go.

The LHT was suggested. We have the ffp lht, and I kind of like it. We haven't hurt it much yet to test durability, but the glass is very good, and I like the reticle. The turrets feel like garbage but they track, so it is workable for a hunting scope. I personally would not use one for serious steel shooting. For a gun that gets shot on steel a little bit to practice for hunting and gather dope, and then mostly hunted, with I really like it. We will see if it is able to hold up to the beating my kids dish out. If the answer is yes then we will own more.

Burris. If you get industry pricing, Bushnell Tactical Elite DMR3 3-21X50 is $1200. I have a HDMRII and it's been the one to check all the boxes. With the 3 it should be even better. I have one in the mail. Burris XTR glass is spectacular. FOV is a delight.

To the guys that mentioned the razor it's a no go, I got a 3-15 when it came out. Used it that bear season the fall season then another bear season and sold it for a trijicon credo. The razor would never keep a zero, it was properly mounted in vortex precision rings and the thing never held up.

I only get industry pricing on Leupold and vortex. I wish the 3-18 razor didn't weigh 6k pounds or I'd go that route.

I'd get the Burris from the group listed. You can get it about $200 less than you have listed also at Liberty Optics. Put it in the cart for price.

I'd get the Burris from the group listed. You can get it about $200 less than you have listed also at Liberty Optics. Put it in the cart for price.

Woah that's really tempting

Reactions: Rob01
Woah that's really tempting

It's a great deal. Burris has really upped their game over the past years and the illuminated XTRIIIs are real good deals. I have a couple of the Pro versions and really like them.