• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a scope?

EchosGalahad

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2023
Colorado
Alright first real bolt action. I havent done research on glass since 2005? So much has changed and Im realizing how green I really am.

Ive narrowed it down to these 3, all vortex in a price range that wont kill me.

Will be on a seekins havak ph2 in 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking strongly of cutting the barrel down to 18" (been a machinist for 10 years)

Range not more then 600-700 yards. Mostly just target shooting and steel, would like it to be able to hunt.

Mods if its not ok to post links please let me know and Ill edit, this was just faster.

Appreciate the help fellas.

For not too much more (or maybe even less if you go through Liberty Optics.) You could get a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 which would be my pick if you want a vortex in that general price range.

You might be able to find an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 for around that price too.

The Bushnell Match Pro ED looks really really nice for $699, but they're still really new and there's not much feedback on them yet.

I’d be perusing the PX looking for something used to save some coin.

There’s a YouTube channel, Dark Lord Optics, run by a resident Hide member that is pretty damn good.

I’d highly recommend it.

Reactions: simonp
If you are going to drop that money money on a rifle, you need to put decent glass on it. I do not like rules of thumb, but I generally start out looking at glass that is 1/2 the price of the rifle. In this case my #1 recommend would be the vortex razor lht 4.5-22. It is closer to the price of the rifle, but it checks all the boxes and is something you can use for years to come. There really isnt much competition in the market at that price level and feature set.

We could also help narrow down the field a little bit with more information. Target shooting to 6-700 and some hunting is a little vague. what size of targets are you shooting at 6-700 yards? what are you hunting, and are you sitting in a stand or box or doing a lot of walking? What I am trying to get is what magnification is most appropriate and what weight constraints you will have.

Reactions: EchosGalahad
Alright first real bolt action. I havent done research on glass since 2005? So much has changed and Im realizing how green I really am.

Ive narrowed it down to these 3, all vortex in a price range that wont kill me.

Will be on a seekins havak ph2 in 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking strongly of cutting the barrel down to 18" (been a machinist for 10 years)

Range not more then 600-700 yards. Mostly just target shooting and steel, would like it to be able to hunt.

Mods if its not ok to post links please let me know and Ill edit, this was just faster.

Appreciate the help fellas.

What's your price range and will you be carrying a lot to hunt or just stand hunting?

So you know I wouldn't put any of those scopes on that rifle.

What's your price range and will you be carrying a lot to hunt or just stand hunting?

So you know I wouldn't put any of those scopes on that rifle.
Ideally under $750. $1000 if it’s really worth it. Pack hunting, Colorado and Utah so lots of walking.

As far as target size, if I can stay on 6” steel up to 700 yards I’ll be beyond chuffed.

Last edited:
I'll second the burris xtr3 3.3-18x50. I believe there is a member here at sports optics that regularly has them for around 1k.

It's a significant step up from cheap Vortex options imo.

The Seekins is a fantastic rifle, I'd pair it with a good piece of glass.

So, Colorado hunting... Mountains, rocks, things that could really hurt a scope if dropped and ruin a hunt completely... You'll want something really hefty and tough, and built like a tank.

Not shooting over 600 yards gives you lots of options for glass and turrets, but the toughness factor eliminates most ALL Vortex scopes. I've owned probably 20 Vortex scopes and range finders, and spotters over the years, and while they're good budget stuff, they're not very tough... Thin tube walls, and very easily damaged turrets, reticles/glass lenses coming loose, etc... So, honestly, as much as I like Vortex, I'd steer clear...Especially the shitty Diamondback scopes. If you insist on Vortex, I would look at Strike Eagle or higher in the price range.

If you can swing it, Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 ZMOA-1 scopes are on sale for $850 at Midway. For under $1000, you won't beat this scope. I have 3 of them on my main hunting rifles, and for the money, they won't be beat in glass quality. They are built by LOW in Japan, the same folks who make Nightforce's glass, and the Vortex Razor scopes. Lifetime warranty, and Japanese ELD glass. Put it in a set of Seekins Precision rings, and you'll be good to go.

FuhQ thank you sir! Yea I should have said durability over glass quality in the original post thank you!

Definitely going seekins scope rings no question.

Just wanna say thank you all so far. Such a deep well I’m jumping back into.

Reactions: FuhQ
FuhQ thank you sir! Yea I should have said durability over glass quality in the original post thank you!

Definitely going seekins scope rings no question.

Just wanna say thank you all so far. Such a deep well I’m jumping back into.
I'd give that Zeiss scope a shot, if your budget allows. Even for the regular price of $1,200 it's a lot of scope for the money. And being on sale for $850, nothing is going to touch it in glass and build quality.

I'm a MIL guy, but most of my German/Austrian scopes are MOA, so I can use both interchangeably without too much thought. The only drawback to the Zeiss is it's in MOA, but if you like MOA and you're just getting back into the sport, if you start gradually swapping all your other scopes over to MOA scopes, you'll be good to go, and everything will be super easy to keep up with. Plus, keeping a good ballistic app on your phone that shows your reticle and drops and tables is very helpful these days... I use iStrelok. It's been a great app for the over 10 years I've used it. 👍🏼

The Zeiss has fantastic glass, just wish they had ffp options

If I expanded this to say $1000 and wanted durability over all else what say you fine gents?

Thank you again for all the help.

Last edited:
A great scope and a shitty rifle won't make you shoot accurately either. Splitting the budget is a decent way as you can get a good scope and rifle for $1250 each but if he already has the rifle then it's going to be his budget to work with. Luckily the less expensive scope market has boomed since 2005.

Edit to add already bought the rifle as it checked a lot of boxes putting together a custom was gonna do. Also in theory I’d rather have a well built rifle and low to mid range scope then high end scope and a rifle that’s built like garbage right?

Reactions: Rob01
Watching rusty Ulmer win nrl hunter match production with a zco ontop of a stock tikka just reinforced the idea of spending money on the optic not the gun is a better use of funds. You can find a cheap rifle that shoots well. Cheap good glass doesn't exist.

Edit to add already bought the rifle as it checked a lot of boxes putting together a custom was gonna do. Also in theory I’d rather have a well built rifle and low to mid range scope then high end scope and a rifle that’s built like garbage right?

A rifle is useless if the sighting system is crap. You can still hit stuff with a cheap rifle.

You can get some decent scopes around the $1K mark. Vortex Razor LHT, Trijicon Credo, VX5HD, and Tract Toric would all be good choices.

As someone with several full custom builds, I wouldn’t. Once you buy a scope, that’s it. Rifles can be upgraded over time.

I’d rather throw one of my Theta/ZComps onto a $600 Tikka or Ruger American than throw a $400 Vortex onto one of my custom builds.

Since you already own the rifle it’s kind of a moot point. I’d save up a little more for a scope.

If you are ok with SFP and want to stay budget minded check out the Trijicon closeouts at Eurooptic. A SFP that works will be much more useful than a FFP that doesn't. Glass will be way ahead of those mentioned too. 4-16x50 for $630, for example.

The PST Gen II 3-15 is a great value. Solid glass, illuminated reticle for low light shots, and fits in that budget. I have that and the 5-25 and I think the 3-15 glass quality and eye relief are better.

The PST Gen II 3-15 is a great value. Solid glass, illuminated reticle for low light shots, and fits in that budget. I have that and the 5-25 and I think the 3-15 glass quality and eye relief are better.
Too many reports of turrets breaking and falling off after moderate use on the PST Gen2...Several on this forum alone. Do a google search, you'll find even more. Seems to have a very fragile erector set. I'd steer-clear, honestly.

Last edited:
I shot a 5-25 in matches for 2 years on a .308, and now hunt with it. It fell off of a shooting bench and landed on the turret, which broke. Vortex fixed it fast and it hasn’t been an issue in years.

As far as target size, if I can stay on 6” steel up to 700 yards I’ll be beyond chuffed.

"All I want to do is hit a 1 MOA target at 600-700 yards"

Goes out a few times and hits a 1 MOA target at 600-700 yards with regularity. Get's bored.

"All I want to do is hit a 1 MOA target at 1000 yards..."

It won't stop at 700 yards... or 1000... or a mile... :)