• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help me pick a tbac

Sokam101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
I'm considering a tbac ultra 5, ultra 7 or dominus.

I currently have an omega 300. Which seems just like a heavy dominus.

I'm looking for something that is hearing safe but also light for hunting. I plan on using it on my 7 saum. What should I consider?

Ultra 7 or Magnus.
The former is small and light is the priority.
The latter is the quietest .30 cal can we've ever metered.
Thanks for the quick response. Is the ultra 5 not quite as hearing safe as the 7?

7 vs. 5 @ shooter's ear (SE numbers) in that video, data in the notes

I just watched your video on super Sonic crack. So does that mean that any can quieter than that crack will still sound just as loud as another can to the shooter because of the crack?

No. Though they will meter the same if the analysis is only taking the peak and it's not being filtered out.

Look at the waveform at 0:56, the shockwave/supersonic crack impulse is very narrow, like extremely narrow, vs. the rest of the "report" of the has outflow to the right of that in the graph.

You can also tell this by shooting any of the cans whose gas outflow peaks are lower than the SS crack, e.g. Ultra 9, most of the 1.7-1.8" cans, Magnus.

I'm considering a tbac ultra 5, ultra 7 or dominus.

I currently have an omega 300. Which seems just like a heavy dominus.

I'm looking for something that is hearing safe but also light for hunting. I plan on using it on my 7 saum. What should I consider?
Magnus HUB 👍🏼

No. Though they will meter the same if the analysis is only taking the peak and it's not being filtered out.

Look at the waveform at 0:56, the shockwave/supersonic crack impulse is very narrow, like extremely narrow, vs. the rest of the "report" of the has outflow to the right of that in the graph.

You can also tell this by shooting any of the cans whose gas outflow peaks are lower than the SS crack, e.g. Ultra 9, most of the 1.7-1.8" cans, Magnus.
I get that. But what do we actually hear when shooting it without ear pro. Anything bigger than a Magnus or ultra 9 isnt worth it because it can't muffle the sonic crack?

I've always ran a Dominus or Ultra 7 on my 7 rem mag. After developing/shooting the Magnus I doubt I'll every put anything but that on my 7 mag. Sound suppression is one thing, the recoil mitigation of the Magnus is phenominal on my 7 mag.

I've always ran a Dominus or Ultra 7 on my 7 rem mag. After developing/shooting the Magnus I doubt I'll every put anything but that on my 7 mag. Sound suppression is one thing, the recoil mitigation of the Magnus is phenominal on my 7 mag.
It's so long tho. Do you back country hunt with it?

I get that. But what do we actually hear when shooting it without ear pro. Anything bigger than a Magnus or ultra 9 isnt worth it because it can't muffle the sonic crack?

A significant portion of what the human ear perceives as the "loudness" of an impulse event is not the peak pressure but rather the total energy, AKA "area under the curve". For the type of rifle cartridges and weapon systems typically discussed here, the shock wave generated by the muzzle uncorking event carries more energy than the sonic crack, and that remains true even if the suppressor is particularly effective.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I'm not going to say it's hearing safe, but I enjoy the size and suppression of the Ultra 5 for hunting. The Dominus is a close 2nd. It's certainly quieter, but also a touch bigger. IMO length and weight make the biggest difference for hauling a (Presumably slung) hunting rifle around.

So does that mean that any can quieter than that crack will still sound just as loud as another can to the shooter because of the crack?

No, it does not mean what you said.

Use a kifaru gun bearer for handy and accessible carrying of a suppressed rifle.

They make a model that fits about any pack.

Reactions: PRCHunter
No, it does not mean what you said.
Can you explain what really matters then? Numbers are great but what numbers are we looking to stay under for hearing safety?

Last edited:
A loud noise that is longer will sound overall louder than the same noise for a shorter period of time, if we are talking relatively short events all things considered. What E Bryant posted is pretty spot on. If we calculated the area in either Pascal-seconds or dB-seconds, the area contributed by a very short spike at 132-133 dB (muzzle) for a very short portion (say 1% of the time for the sake of argument) of the overall muzzle report is going to contribute a very small amount to the overall area (energy analogue). As a side note, if this is the same for all cans that are quieter than the shockwave, then the area from the shockwave will be a small constant in the total area of each one-- specifically, the same constant.

Area is not exactly the same as "audio risk units". Those models get very complicated and there isn't a contemporary standard for them at least with regard to gunshots. We have plugged some of our waveforms into the AHAAH risk model software, but at this point it's not mature enough to publish-- and there are going to be more contemporary risk models that are more accurate, probably.

See this thread for more information and waveforms that show what we're talking about

Peak is useful, if shockwave isn't being measured by it, for comparison because the waveform shapes are pretty much analogous, just shifted up (and shorter for louder cans) or down (and longer for quieter cans).

Last edited:
It's so long tho. Do you back country hunt with it?
Yes, I run shorter barrels on my hunting rifles. My 7 mag is 22". Everyone, including myselft at times counts ounces way to much. The Magnus CB weighs 14.8oz, the Dominus CB weighs 9.6oz. IMHO those 5 oz are worth it just because of the reduced recoil. Being able to spot impact on the animal is definitely worth it. As far as length, I really don't notice a difference but I'm also not busting thick timber. I have way better luck running ridges high and finding something below.

Yes, I run shorter barrels on my hunting rifles. My 7 mag is 22". Everyone, including myselft at times counts ounces way to much. The Magnus CB weighs 14.8oz, the Dominus CB weighs 9.6oz. IMHO those 5 oz are worth it just because of the reduced recoil. Being able to spot impact on the animal is definitely worth it. As far as length, I really don't notice a difference but I'm also not busting thick timber. I have way better luck running ridges high and finding something below.
I have a cert for half off a TBAC I was going to get a 338 ultra gen 2. Any reason I shouldnt do this and just use it to get a magnus?

I have a cert for half off a TBAC I was going to get a 338 ultra gen 2. Any reason I shouldnt do this and just use it to get a magnus?

338 Ultra can be used for .33 cals where the Magnus cannot. So there's a bit more versatility in that sense. If you have no plans of suppressing anything over a .30. then you aren't really giving up anything to the Ultra by going with the Magnus.

338 Ultra can be used for .33 cals where the Magnus cannot. So there's a bit more versatility in that sense. If you have no plans of suppressing anything over a .30. then you aren't really giving up anything to the Ultra by going with the Magnus.
Yeah, I want to get two honestly. One big and really quiet for maybe NF ELR type stuff and one lighter than my omega 300 for hunting with my 7 saum. I don't think I want to go ultra 5 and it is not great for my hearing. These suppressors are for life so this is a tough choice. What would you guys do?

Reactions: kthomas
If you’re after maximum suppression and size isn’t an issue I see no reason not to get a 338 G2 as it is a little quieter compared to the magnus. I debated hard between the two and went with the magnus for the smaller size but I’ll eventually get a 338 G2 or maybe G3 by then lol.

If you’re after maximum suppression and size isn’t an issue I see no reason not to get a 338 G2 as it is a little quieter compared to the magnus. I debated hard between the two and went with the magnus for the smaller size but I’ll eventually get a 338 G2 or maybe G3 by then lol.
How about a lighter can then my omega 300 that will help tame a light weight 7 saum when in the mountains? I think Magnus might be too long and heavy. For a hunting can.

How about a lighter can then my omega 300 that will help tame a light weight 7 saum when in the mountains? I think Magnus might be too long and heavy. For a hunting can.
I’d have to check weight but I don’t think anything beats a CGS Helios QD Ti for its size. I have a Helios and a magnus in jail right now. As well as a dominus and Hyperion K.

Having said that for an old can my omega is still light with great suppression for the size.

I’d have to check weight but I don’t think anything beats a CGS Helios QD Ti for its size. I have a Helios and a magnus in jail right now. As well as a dominus and Hyperion K.

Having said that for an old can my omega is still light with great suppression for the size.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't call an Omega a heavy can. It's a great all-around suppressor.

Reactions: Mja454
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't call an Omega a heavy can. It's a great all-around suppressor.
Still one of my favorites, it was pretty far ahead of its time I think. Unfortunately it’s still about the only sico product that’s worth a shit lol, I wouldn’t mind a omega 9k but you couldn’t give me the rest of their lineup.

Still one of my favorites, it was pretty far ahead of its time I think. Unfortunately it’s still about the only sico product that’s worth a shit lol, I wouldn’t mind a omega 9k but you couldn’t give me the rest of their lineup.
I agree.

The wife has an Omega, it's a great can.

The rest of their product lineup is less than exciting for me.

Reactions: Jnull
My TBAC lineup consists of a 338 ultra SR, Magnus SR, Dominus SR, Ultra 7, and Ultra 5. I hunt exclusively with the Ultra 5 and 7. I've been running the ultra 5 on my 24" 28 nosler and other magnums that are 22" and longer. It takes the bite off enough when I'm in the woods only having to shoot one time, two at most. Length and weight is important to me. Anything 18-20" ish barrel range gets the ultra 7. Trying to keep the OAL down. My 18" 6.5 PRC with ultra 7 is the same length as my 24" guns without a can. Makes a super nice package when your in the woods all day.

The dominus I have is exclusively for a 308 gasser but would do well on a few SA caliber guns I have too. The Magnus SR and 338 ultra SR are only for my AI MC and SR rifles. I wouldn't consider carrying those things out in the woods on an elk hunt. Just way to large for me and unnecessary for hunting. The ultra 7 is the one stop shop for a hunting can. I'm not giving up my 5 though, ever.

For me and all the shooting I've done with them, If I could only have two of the TBAC cans, it would be an ultra 7 for hunting, and then a Magnus/338 Ultra pending if your shooting .30 or .338.

Keep in mind rifle balance. Big difference between a 14oz can an 8 oz can on the end of a 8 pound rifle.

I’d love me a magnus but couldn’t see carrying it on my general purpose hunting rifles, maybe a dedicated long range rifle though….

I went through a similar dilemma and ended up with an U7. No regrets. Now I want a U9 6.5 and a U5 6.5 and a magnus. It’s a problem.

Reactions: kthomas and Ledzep
That's exactly it. The ultra 5 on the end of a 10lb rifle is enough to tame down a shot or two. I shoot a lot of 26-28" 6 ARC, .300 blackout subs, and 6.5mm creedmoor for hunting. That's like 95% of what I shoot. The ultra 5 handles all of that extremely well while adding nearly negligible length (vs. a 4 port brake) and the weight isn't so noticeable like a 7" or especially a 9" can.

Now if you're running a 18" .308, or even a 20-22" 6.5 Creedmoor it's a different story and the Ultra 5 is a little underwhelming for long strings. Even so at that point I think I like the Dominus better than the ultra 7 or ultra 9.

If you just want stupid quiet at the expense of space and weight then yeah, Magnus or 338 g2.

The Ultra 7 balances nicely on a hunting weight rifle.

80301066-BD7B-48F2-B418-97C088826D5B.jpeg

Wonderful help guys. Thank you so much. I guess I just need to buy ever can! Lolol.

I don't plan on 338 any time soon. Maybe a 300 NM at some point. It seems like the 338 is only a tiny bit quieter than the Magnus. Maybe I'll get a Magnus and a dominus or ultra 7. I need some of the bite out of my 7 saum.

Should I pick Ultra 7 vs dominus non SR?

I like that the ultra is lighter but the dominus is shorter. I'm running a 22 inch barrel on my 7 saum.

Wonderful help guys. Thank you so much. I guess I just need to buy ever can! Lolol.

I don't plan on 338 any time soon. Maybe a 300 NM at some point. It seems like the 338 is only a tiny bit quieter than the Magnus. Maybe I'll get a Magnus and a dominus or ultra 7. I need some of the bite out of my 7 saum.

Should I pick Ultra 7 vs dominus non SR?

I like that the ultra is lighter but the dominus is shorter. I'm running a 22 inch barrel on my 7 saum.
I personally went dominus CB over U7 as I prefer a shorter fatter can with near identical performance. A magnus and dominus will cover a lot of needs and do it well. I’ll be interested to see how my dominus and Helios QD Ti stack up against one another once they’re approved.

I custom ordered a TBAC Ultra 7 in ODG. The Magnus is nice but the weight was a no go. Maybe for a bench rifle.

Reactions: dmuffman80
The Magnus weighs about the same as a lot of approx 7" long .30 cal cans (including the one mentioned a lot in this thread), but is a lot quieter.

I still agree the 7 or maybe 5 is the go to for hunting. I just wanted to put the weight of the Magnus in perspective.
Yeah the weight isn't bad at all. But the length might get out of hand for hunting. Thoughts on hearing safety with the ultra 5 vs ultra 7 on a 22inch 7 saum? I think im leaning towards the ultra 7. I was considering the dominus but its only 2 - 3 oz lighter than my omega 300 where the ultra 7 is 5 ish oz lighter.

Alright boys, I'm bringing this one back and I don't even feel bad about it!

For those with experience between the two what are the differences between the ultra 7 and the dominus. By the numbers it looks to me like the dominus is a little shorter, a little fatter, a little quieter but just as heavy or a little bit heavier as the 7, depending on configuration. What else am I missing here? Why go 7 over dominus? The weight savings doesn't seem worth it to me to have a shorter quieter can. Please advise! BTW it's for hunting also...

For those with experience between the two what are the differences between the ultra 7 and the dominus. By the numbers it looks to me like the dominus is a little shorter, a little fatter, a little quieter but just as heavy or a little bit heavier as the 7, depending on configuration. What else am I missing here? Why go 7 over dominus? The weight savings doesn't seem worth it to me to have a shorter quieter can. Please advise! BTW it's for hunting also...
I was deciding on the same thing and ended up going with a Dominus for the reasons you stated which is still in jail. One difference to note is if wanting a shorter barrel for hunting on a bigger caliber like 300 PRC they suggest nothing shorter than 26” barrel on the Dominus whereas the Ultra 7 is 22”.

I am building a 7 PRC for hunting and did email Thunderbeast since it is not listed and they stated I could go down to 16” on a 7 PRC with the Dominus

The barrel length rating is something I'm stuck on with these different TBAC cans. They all list the 300wm as more accommodating to shorter barrels as compared to the 300PRC. On the dominus it's 18 and 26 inches respectively, on the ultra 7 it's 18 and 22 inches respectively, on the Magnus it's 14.5 for both chamberings. I'm confused on why there is a discrepancy. I'm sure they have their reasons. The 300RC does hold more powder than the 300wm, and is presumably loaded over their 90gr limit before they want you to call them with load data. IDK?

Edit:their website says contact them with load data for 90 gr loads or more on a 7 cal and 100 gr loads and up in a 30 cal

Last edited:
I ended up going with the ultra 7. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I did just get it out of jail and I'm happy with it. It's not movie quiet on my 7 saum but it has a better tone than my sico Omega 300 and is way lighter. I think the 7 saum is quieter iirc in their YouTube tests but you're ears won't notice that.

I ended up going with the ultra 7. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I did just get it out of jail and I'm happy with it. It's not movie quiet on my 7 saum but it has a better tone than my sico Omega 300 and is way lighter. I think the 7 saum is quieter iirc in their YouTube tests but you're ears won't notice that.
What kind of attachment methods did you go with considering weight and length? Was the weight differences the reason why you went with the 7 instead of the dominus?

What kind of attachment methods did you go with considering weight and length? Was the weight differences the reason why you went with the 7 instead of the dominus?
Weight pretty much. I just thread on. Didn't want to have to buy a ton of their muzzle devices. I have a can like the dominus already same length and dimension but heavy so I wanted someone a little different that is light.

The Dominus and the Ultra 7 gen2 suppress the same.

The only difference in the CB versions is a little length difference and the different O.D.

I don't see any reason to get the Dominus-CB over the Ultra 7-- Ultra 7 all the way. We have the Dominus CB because the Dominus was introduced before the gen2 Ultras and it was slightly quieter than the gen1.

I hunt with an Ultra 7 gen2.