• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick an 18 .223 Wylde Barrel

Tug556

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2018
MINNESOTA
I am looking to pick up an 18 inch .223 Wylde barrel soon to build into a good long range AR. I have narrowed it down to the following barrels. Just curious what everyone's experience is with these barrels. My goal is to make a very decent shooter that will easily shoot 1 MOA or less with 77 OTM bullets. The optic I will be using for this setup is a Vortex AMG 6-24x.

Criterion Core 18 - I currently own a 14.5 Core and that barrel shoots amazing. I have been a big fan. I am just not sure if a chrome lined barrel is the best barrel for this application.

Criterion Fluted Stainless - Since I have had good luck with a Criterion core, one of their stainless barrels seems like it may be a good idea.

WOA 3 Gun MK2.3 - WOA seems to get some very good reviews. This is one of their only 18 inch barrels in stock right now.

Craddock Precision Ready to Rock - I have also read some good things about Craddock and the finishing options seem nice.

Rainier Arms Ultramach - I have heard good things and the barrels look nice, but I have also read a few reviews that they can be picky with ammo. Their warranty seems nice.

Your guys' input is greatly appreciated!

My WOA 18" SPR shoots 73 ELDM exceptionally well. Hard to beat for the price I'd say.

White Oak 18" SPR barrel. Even my 55gr hornady rounds are easily sub MOA at 100 yards with that barrel.

Reactions: babyguppy
Only one of the vendors you listed that I've used is WOA. Used several of John's bbls as well as Frank White's CLE bbls during the years I was shooting XTC High Power, though most of them were done on Krieger blanks, with a couple of PacNors thrown in. They were good enough to earn my Distinguished Rifleman Badge & win our state SR championship a couple of times. Sadly, I hear that Compass Lake Engineering has closed their doors. I got started with them in 1997, and also bought one of their dedicated 22RF uppers with a match grade Douglas bbl that I used for offhand & slow prone practice - that upper shot very nearly as well at 100yds as the Anschutz 1611 prone rifle I used for prone practice after building a couple of CF LR prone rifles for mid & LR prone matches.

I would prefer to stay with a rifle length gas system, so that creates a conundrum with the WOA SPR barrel. The rifle length SPR is out of stock with an expected backorder of 8 to 12 weeks. I will be using an adjustable gas block with a lightweight carrier, so maybe going with a mid vs a rifle wouldn't be a huge deal though.

Another vote for WOA. I don't have that specific WOA barrel, but have several of their Varmint and SPR barrels. Easy load development and all are easily sub moa performers.

I would make sure you get what you want vs whats in stock. Then you wont question anything later one. (Lesson learned the hard way for me).

I would go Craddock, WOA, Rainer.

I will also say I have an 18 steel proof, rifle gas, and JP Bolt, that is a consistent 0.5” groups at 100 with a basic load of 24.0 Varget and 77 SMK. Mix LC brass.
one day put 25 rds in 8” at 600 (hill top range on the CO plains, always windy).

And too bad about CLE or I would recommend them
I have one of their barrels and it shoots just about like the above mentioned Proof. Just easily very accurate.

OP didn't notice we have an entire semi auto subforum for this stuff?

My vote goes to the 18" Core, at least that's the one I have the most or any experience with. I've had it print a dirty 1" group with some 55gr ammo I found locally, some others it hates. It shoots 68-69 gr the best so far, I have tried some factory loaded 77 with mixed results.

Here was my last group at 100, just scrubbed the barrel around 1k, first 5 rounds with a specific factory ammo that's around $13/box, then 1 more to confirm zero.
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-25 16_03_42.670510.jpg

I have three WOA spun Bartleins that are excellent, I have 2 Craddock Spun Bartleins that are also excellent!

Another vote for WOA. I've got their 18" SPR barrel, 7" twist, rifle gas and it shoots well.

WOA hooked me up. They had a SPR barrel with rifle length gas system and 1/8 twist in stock. It's in the mail now. Hopefully will get it all put together soon and shoot it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Reactions: powdahound76