• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help Me Play Multivariate Calculus Scope Musical Chairs

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
I have bought and sold a bunch of stuff recently and end up trying to match scopes to rifles, and it is driving me nuts. I figure I probably need to add at least one scope to the stable but what type will depend on which gun ends up without a chair.

I’d love people’s advice. Below is what I have and what I am thinking in terms of budget and what factors are important. There are also a couple of scenarios I would love feedback on, and if I am missing an option I am all ears.

Firearms:
1x AR15 16” used for blasting and multi gun comps
1x AR15 18” used for dmr type work
1x AR10 308 16” used for blasting and comps
1x AR10 6.5 CM used for long range shooting and hunting

Scopes:
1x Leupold MK6 3-18
1x Minox 1-8
2x Aimpoints

General considerations:
Budget - I would like to keep it under $3k if possible. If it needs to go above that a little so be it, but the value proposition would need to be really compelling.

Quality - I would like good quality. Maybe not ZCO/SB level (and price) but at least one step below that.

Weight - all else equal lighter is better but at some point I acknowledge that a gun is just going to be heavy.

Illumination - nice to have on a M/HPVO but if I add an LPVO I want a daylight usable dot.

Red Dot magnifiers - I have never had luck with red dot magnifiers and would prefer to avoid them.

Possible scenarios:
1. 16” AR-15 - Minox 1-8
18” AR-15 - Leupold Mk6 3-18
16” AR-10 - Red dot
20” AR-10 - buy a new M/HPVO and run a red dot with it. If I go this route which LPVO should I get? I have a Lecia 5-30 PRS on my bolt gun and could get one of those, but a lighter, more mid-power scope may make more sense.

2. 16” AR-15 - Red Dot
18” AR-15 - Leupold MK6 3-18
16” AR-10 - Minox 1-8
20” AR-10 - buy a new M/HPVO

This scenario may lead me at a disadvantage for multi-gun with the AR-15, since it seems like that is the gun where an LPVO makes the most sense in terms of use and weight.

3. 16” AR-15 - minox 1-8
18” AR-15 - Buy a new M/HPVO
16” AR-10 - Red Dot
20” AR-10 - Leupold 3-18

the advantage of this scenario is that the light weight MK6 helps offset the heavier AR-10, but then what should I mount on the DMR AR-15?

Anyway, any advice is welcome.

5j3gkn.jpg

Last edited:
I guess another option would be to get an LPVO for the 18" AR-15 and one for the 16" AR-15, red dot on the 16" AR10 and Leupold MK6 for the 6.5.

Too many permutations.

I just sort of went through this myself. As much as I love the idea of red dots and shooting out to 200+ yards, I've realized the older I get (51, now) the less and less I'm inclined to do that as my eyes just don't work as well as they used to. I went with LVPO on my ARs (5.56 / .450BM / 7.62x39), a fixed 3x on my 16" AK, and a red dot on my AR9. For my 20" AR10 (.308) I went 4-16 Leupold.

That doesn't really line up to your scenarios, without spending extra $$ on another M/LVPO, however. GL.

Reactions: TacosGigante
I have a NIB Steiner M7Xi 2.9-20x50 in black w/ Tremor 3 reticle that I posted on here for $3,500. I use one on my AR-10 with a 22 inch barrel and its perfect.

I'm close to your shoes and this is how I think I'm going to go
18" AR15 - Kahles k318i for team safari/steel safari type shooting
14.5" AR15 - LPVO and/or Red Dot for carbine matches/classes, i opted the extra $$ for QD on both to be able to swap relatively easily
16" AR10 - Leupold 3.6-18 most of the time, but same LPVO on the 14.5 if I need more versatility

my LR gun is a bolt gun; but it wears a 5-27

Reactions: TacosGigante
I'm currently leaning towards adding a 1-10 and go:
AR-10 6.5 - Leupold Mk6 + aimpoint t2
Ar-10 16" - Minox 1-8 or March 1-10 (because of the parallax adjustment and lighter weight)
Ar-15 18" - Minox 1-8 or Vortex 1-10
AR-15 16" - Aimpoint t2