• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me purchase some new Form 4 suppressors

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm going to pull the trigger on 3-4 suppressors within a month or so. I don't keep up with the latest and greatest which is why I'm asking for opinions. I'm looking for a rimfire can, a can for handguns up to .45acp, and another centerfire can or two for semiautos. I already have an .30 cal Ultra 9 and was considering an Ultra 5 since I'm considering doing a 16" bolt gun with a pre-fit down the road. I will probably just stay with .30 cal no matter what it's used on. I've run my Ultra 9 on everything except handguns obviously.

I've seen some posts recently stating the Ultra 5 isn't a good choice for a semi. In the past I had my mind made up on a Surefire for that, but Dead Air seems to be quite a contender. All my semis that I would consider suppressing have AGBs already so gas in the face isn't a huge concern but a can with less back pressure would seem to be a better idea. I have a couple of pistol AR uppers in .223 and .300 BO unless the AFT decides I need an SBR so short barrel compatibility is a plus.

I was leaning towards Silencerco for the handgun as I believe they had something that could be adapted per caliber? I think I'm referring to the Hybrid 46 with whatever piston(s). Any better options now or would it even matter? I like that some cans can pull double duty on say a .300 BO pistol.

I'm not sure that would even matter for my application. I'm just trying to preserve what little hearing I have left rather than Hollywood move quiet. I'd like to get down to safe with ear plugs, lol. I'd take retaining or enhancing accuracy over the lowest dB.

For rimfire I had always been just thinking the Sparrow. I want something that can disassembled for cleaning. I'll be picking up a Vudoo and I would use it for this and maybe a pistol. I don't have but might get a dedicated .22lr AR upper at some point so that would be another use. I like TBAC and see they have a takedown so interested in that. Should I consider two rimfire cans if one is better for a rifle and a different option for pistol?

As always thanks for sharing your opinion and experience.

Rugged Obsidian 45. The 45 is quiter at the ear on 9mm than the obsidian 9 due to back pressure/port pop. It's also modular which is awesome imo.

CGS Helios QD (Ti or inconel), Dead Air Nomad (stainless or ti) or Diligent defense enticer s (ti or stainless). Depends on intended use and firing schedule.

The Helios qd ti will be phenomenal on bolt guns and that 16" you had in mind. It's nearly the same level of suppression as the gen 1 ultra 9 at the ear on 308.

Nomad is great on everything, it's very good on 300 blk.

The Enticer S ti is extremely lightweight and will be slightly better than the Nomad on bolt guns.

OSS 556 ti if you want least amount of gas in face on 556.

Dead Air Mask or Rugged Occulus. I like stainless cans, Rugged Mustang if you want lighter weight.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
    I'm going to pull the trigger on 3-4 suppressors within a month or so. I don't keep up with the latest and greatest which is why I'm asking for opinions. I'm looking for a rimfire can, a can for handguns up to .45acp, and another centerfire can or two for semiautos. I already have an .30 cal Ultra 9 and was considering an Ultra 5 since I'm considering doing a 16" bolt gun with a pre-fit down the road. I will probably just stay with .30 cal no matter what it's used on. I've run my Ultra 9 on everything except handguns obviously.

I've seen some posts recently stating the Ultra 5 isn't a good choice for a semi. In the past I had my mind made up on a Surefire for that, but Dead Air seems to be quite a contender. All my semis that I would consider suppressing have AGBs already so gas in the face isn't a huge concern but a can with less back pressure would seem to be a better idea. I have a couple of pistol AR uppers in .223 and .300 BO unless the AFT decides I need an SBR so short barrel compatibility is a plus.

I was leaning towards Silencerco for the handgun as I believe they had something that could be adapted per caliber? I think I'm referring to the Hybrid 46 with whatever piston(s). Any better options now or would it even matter? I like that some cans can pull double duty on say a .300 BO pistol.

I'm not sure that would even matter for my application. I'm just trying to preserve what little hearing I have left rather than Hollywood move quiet. I'd like to get down to safe with ear plugs, lol. I'd take retaining or enhancing accuracy over the lowest dB.

For rimfire I had always been just thinking the Sparrow. I want something that can disassembled for cleaning. I'll be picking up a Vudoo and I would use it for this and maybe a pistol. I don't have but might get a dedicated .22lr AR upper at some point so that would be another use. I like TBAC and see they have a takedown so interested in that. Should I consider two rimfire cans if one is better for a rifle and a different option for pistol?

As always thanks for sharing your opinion and experience.
    There is no such thing as an "adaptable for all uses" can that works particularly well for any of it's uses. Which is why you don't see many folks pushing the "one-size-fits-all" suppressors very often.

Rimfire - Dead Air Mask HD

Handguns & Lever-action/cowboy cartridges - Rugged Obsidian 45

.30 cal "S" can - Dead Air Sandman-S, Dead Air Nomad-30 or Nomad-Ti, Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S, Rex Silentium MG-7 or Mod-X .30.

.30 cal rifle max suppression - Dead Air Nomad-L or Nomad-LT, Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L, Rex Silentium Mod-X .30, or TBAC Magnus

There is no such thing as an "adaptable for all uses" can that works particularly well for any of it's uses. Which is why you don't see many folks pushing the "one-size-fits-all" suppressors very often.

That's why I'm asking for opinions on several and not asking for one to do a semi AR and a handgun simultaneously. Unless there's some unicorn out there that does this, lol. Thanks for weighing in.

For centerfire, I would check out the TBAC Dominus or Abel Co. Biscuit.

Both short and fat cans, designed to have low back pressure. Both rated as hard use suppressors.

I currently have an Abel Co. Biscuit in ATF jail, which I bought for AR-15 and precision rifle use. It seems to check the boxes you want.

The Ultra 5 is fine for a semi. There are some "high end users" of the Ultra 5. Just don't melt it. If you need a higher rate of fire, get the Dominus-K-SR. It's super bad ass. Super short, reasonably quiet on gas guns (if you are into K cans on SBR's, you already know it's not quiet with any sub-6" can). A little longer, the Dominus-SR is also F/A rated, is light, and is a really good fit on gas guns, that's what it was designed for.

For the 45 can, many of you guessed with the Fly9 came out, well, if you can hold out a little longer we will have something compelling probably during Q2.

The Ultra 5 is fine for a semi. There are some "high end users" of the Ultra 5. Just don't melt it. If you need a higher rate of fire, get the Dominus-K-SR. It's super bad ass. Super short, reasonably quiet on gas guns (if you are into K cans on SBR's, you already know it's not quiet with any sub-6" can). A little longer, the Dominus-SR is also F/A rated, is light, and is a really good fit on gas guns, that's what it was designed for.

For the 45 can, many of you guessed with the Fly9 came out, well, if you can hold out a little longer we will have something compelling probably during Q2.
    Zak, can you please explain the firing schedule rating for the dominus cb.

Your site says 2-3 seconds between every round fired, yet the Sr is full auto rated. Is that purely do to the lack of mechanical retention on the cb?

I am an ultra 7 user currently. I would like to stick with a common mount between suppressors. I am not shooting full auto or doing mag dumps, but I couldn't promise to not fire at least a few rounds faster the once every 2-3 seconds. My use would fun range time, hunting, and some carbine classes.

Would the cb work for my intended use or do I need to look at a different suppressor and mounting setup

Zak, can you please explain the firing schedule rating for the dominus cb.

Your site says 2-3 seconds between every round fired, yet the Sr is full auto rated. Is that purely do to the lack of mechanical retention on the cb?
    Yes, exactly, the SR mount provides the retention required for a F/A rating. A regular CB mount (or DT) will come loose during a SOCOM/SURG cycle.

From the Q&A's on the Dominus-SR spec page,
    Why is the CB version of this suppressor not full-auto rated? Isn't it the same suppressor as this one, just with a different mount?

The CB version is mostly the same as the SR version, except the rear end is different. Thus the strength of the suppressor itself is the same, but without the retention and locking capabilities of the SR mount, the CB mount does not retain the "Full Auto" rating. Other than that, the minimum barrel length ratings will be the same.

I am an ultra 7 user currently. I would like to stick with a common mount between suppressors. I am not shooting full auto or doing mag dumps, but I couldn't promise to not fire at least a few rounds faster the once every 2-3 seconds. My use would fun range time, hunting, and some carbine classes.

Would the cb work for my intended use or do I need to look at a different suppressor and mounting setup
    The 2-3 seconds thing was for a sustained rate that kind of approximated the burst rate of about a magazine-and-a-half mag dump from an M4. Since we couldn't give the Dominus-CB the full F/A rating due to not having the SR mount, we defaulted to the rating that the Ultra 5, 7, and 9 have, which is that.

On the Dominus-CB, as long as it doesn't come loose, you're fine, since the only difference is the mount retention.

Hope this makes sense

I am doing:

SR Magnus (least muzzle movement) [just received mine, haven't shot it yet]
    SR Dominus-K (short length, but don't need reduced movement) [https://www.bisontactical.com/dominus-k-sr-tbac-suppressor/]
    AB Raptor when I need very light weight (hunting & SAC) [https://www.bisontactical.com/ab-suppressors-raptor/]
    22 Takedown & AB little bird. (I am still surprised by how useful the 22 Takedown is, just had a customer who has (3) other .22 suppressors and none of them are officially supported for his FN 57, but the 22 Takedown is) [https://www.bisontactical.com/22-take-down-thunder-beast-arms-silencer-direct-thread/] and [https://www.bisontactical.com/ab-suppressors-little-bird/] The AB little bird is tunable which is kind of neat. I didn't tune mine, but it shot phenomenally well on my RimX bolt action rifle.

I really don't shoot much suppressed pistol, but like the idea of the Fly9 - still waiting for one to try out.

Some good input above.. only one I’d add is the Silencerco Sparrow for the .22LR. The internal clamshell inserts keep all the carbon and lead off the threads, and make it a lot easier to clean up. No experience with the Dead Air Mask myself, but a couple friends have them and like ‘em.

I also have a Radical .22 can that is exactly like that Sparrow, but without the clamshells. Sound suppression is good, but during one very long shooting session with my daughter, it got so caked up with carbon that I couldn’t get it apart…even after soaking over night and after several sessions in my heated ultrasonic cleaner. Sent it in and Radical couln’t get it apart either, and remanufactured it for me. Great customer service…kind of ‘meh’ product. Now it just sits on a rifle for popping gophers, etc. and gets cleaned every time it’s used.

I’ll second the vote for Rugged Obsidian .45 for a pistol can. I’d say the AAC Tirant .45 (still the quietest I’ve ever used), but yeah…out of business and all. Have those two as well as a couple dedicated 9mm cans, but if just one, the Rugged Obsidian .45 all day long…it’s that good.

Anything TBac for a combo 7.62/5.56 can…but several other great choices out there. I only have one though, and it’s a little 5C model, LOL. Have a couple dedicated 5.56 cans, but my old (and recently converted from the 51T mount by Ecco Machine) AAC 7.62 SD/SDN-6 cans are the workhorses in my collection.

Your choice for anything in a magnum caliber, but again, hard to argue against anything TBac, even though I’m currently saving my pennies for another Dead Air…probably the Nomad LT.

I also have a huge (and heavy!) Bowers 458 versadapt can that is pretty much dedicated to my 450 bushmaster upper, but it can and has been used on almost all my ARs, including the .308. Not suitable for high velocity magnum rounds though.

Last edited:
    I've got a lot of the cans that have been recommended and I'll give you my personal picks for each one you're looking for. If you want to know more about either, let me know. Standing by to defend!

Rimfire-- Rugged Oculus
    45 can--Griffin Bushwhacker 46
    30 cal--Rex Silentium MG-7
    30-36cal--Rex Silentium MG-7 with 9mm aperture

If you haven't already and are interested in seeing some actual data to guide your buying, check out PewScience. Jay over there is doing awesome work gathering data.

Just an update if interested. I ended up ordering 3 but my decision was somewhat tempered by what was available through Silencer Shop. I just got an email saying I needed to go to the receiving dealer to "certify my eform 4". Whatever this means.

Centerfire: TBAC Dominus SR. It would've been the K but none in stock and waited after I ordered the other two cans simultaneously. After reviewing the specs I thought well the K is kind of Ultra 5-ish with a different mount. I will probably end up ordering an Ultra 7 to go with my 9 but of course they were only in stock at 6.5 cal., not .30.

Rimfire: Rugged Occulus. It wasn't my top choice but it was available and now I have a rimfire can in jail so it's a bird in the hand thing.

Pistol: Rugged Obsidian 45. Look how many people mentioned this can in this thread. I had to check it out. Pleased more with this decision but if TBAC makes the FLY45 and has a rimfire takedown in stock and an Ultra 7 well...

You should be extremely happy with all of your choices. The Dominus-SR is maybe my favorite can for all-around use on both bolt and semi platforms, the Occulus is superb and tragically underrated, and the Obsidian 45 is popular for good reasons.

Reactions: kthomas