• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me scope my M1A

Wayfaerer320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
PA
I can't seem to make up my mind on what glass to get - here are my requirements:

Shooting range: 100-400 yards
Power range: something capable of at least 10X - fixed or variable
Focal Plane: FFP would be nice, but not a requirement, cool with SFP
Illumination: not necessary, but nice to have
Price: max $600

Honestly, I'm really just looking for the best quality glass one can buy for $600 - I don't need all the bells and whistles. Glass quality and reliability is more important to me than features.

SWFA seems to be out of stock on just about all of their popular models, so I've been looking at Vortex, but I'm open to anything.

What are my options?

YMMV...but thiis has worked for me.....

I've got an M1A loaded , wood stock, with an SEI steel mount. The mount is solid as a rock. Never an issue. To raise the comb ( a must have) I used a velcro/strap on, cheek piece.

I had a 10X 30mm tube Super Sniper on it and it was a SOLID piece of glass but I like more magnification.

Recently fell into a reasonably priced, barely used SIGHTRON III the 6-24X model. Mounted the 6-24X and my paper groups went WAY down...as I could SEE a lot better.

I've never could get a good cheek weld worth a darn, So tried modifying the cheek piece I already had, etc. Finally gave up and borrowed a Vltor stock allowing that extra one inch UP to the stock.
Works great. Only issue with scoping a standard GI stocked M1A; One has to address the cheek weld/too low a stock issue.

That was a long way around to say that I think the Super Sniper 10X is a good piece of glass for an M1A. But take a look too at their 5-15X, or maybe a Vortex or Sightron III?

Stole the 6-24X Sightron from the M1A and mounted it on my .308 bolt gun. Have stated before but it's a surprisingly good scope. Tracks well, etc.

Just fell into a bargain priced 6.5-20X Leupold 30mm tube LR Varmint scope. Will mount that on the M1A next.

Good Luck.

FN in MT

Look into the Bushnell Elite series. They merged their 3200 and 4200 lines a few years ago and these are going to be very good scopes in the price range you are looking at. I would stick to scopes that have the 30mm tube and avoid anything with just a 1 inch tube because it won't give you enough travel to hit at longer and longer distances.

Also, in the scopes in this price range, you are going to get glass that is pretty consistent across the board. The reason to pay more for the glass is 1) clarity, but also important is 2) repeatability and consistency of the reticule adjustments. Personally, I believe the second factor is absolutely critical in scope selection.

I can tell you that 400 yards is still close in for an M1A. Irons are good to 600 and you can reach farther if you have glass. If you want a pretty decent scope, you can also take a look at the Nikon glass. You will see a definite difference between the optical clarity in that and a Bushnell 4200 or the Nikon and a Vortex or Schmidt, but for the price you are looking at, I think it is pretty good for deer and target shooting out to 400.

Also, I would go with one of the Bassett mounts from Bill Bassett out in Texas. Google him (or better yet, use www.startpage.com) and you will find him. His is an excellent mount and I recommend his craftsmanship and customer service 110%.

M1Amen

Last edited:
My first choice would probably be the SS 3-9x if you could find it in stock. Second would be the PST 2.5-10x44 as mentioned above. Others to consider are:
Burris mtac 3.5-10x
Burris mtac 4.5-14x
Leupold VXR 3-9x
Leupold mark ar mod1 3-9x
Leupold mark ar mod1 4-12x
Weaver GS tactical 3-10x

Last edited:
I run a SWFA 5-20's on my M1A's in quick release mounts mounted on top of Smith and Sadlak mounts. Do not underestimate the firmness of the mount you use. I would highly recommend spending the money on Smith or Sadlak and getting their mounts. You do not want to have any issues relating to the mount and many have caused problems. For a scope under $600, you can't go wrong with a fixed power or variable SWFA or something from Vortex like the PST series. I prefer variable power much more than fixed but that is a personal decision. Watch the for sale section here but also on SWFA Sample List and see what they have in stock.

Does anyone have any pics of a Vortex 4-16 or 2.5-10 mounted on their M14/M1A?

So, I decided on the SWFA SS FFP 3-15x42 - just came in today:

P1010574_zps62c30355.jpg

P1010572_zpsca657dd8.jpg

Looks like you have a solid mound there as well as rings. Have you had a chance to do some shooting with this setup yet? Results? If so, what ammo were you using? I used to run an old bushy fixed 10X on mine. I think the new SWFA scope you have there is a nice option. Let us know how it works out for you.

[Qhaven't wampy;2553911]Looks like you have a solid mound there as well as rings. Have you had a chance to do some shooting with this setup yet? Results? If so, what ammo were you using? I used to run an old bushy fixed 10X on mine. I think the new SWFA scope you have there is a nice option. Let us know how it works out for you.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a chance to hit the range yet, but I will in the next couple weeks.

The mount (ARMS #18) seems stable though its slightly slanted to the left - not a big deal as long as it holds zero - we shall see.

The glass is awesome though - this thing is seriously built like a tank and for $700, its a killer deal.

Is it a $600 total budget? As others have mentioned, you will need a good mount ($150 Sadlak Aluminum), a cheek riser ($40) and good rings ($40 for Warne on the low end).

If this is the case, I would suggest looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for about $430.

A bit over budget if you pay retail.

Is it a $600 total budget? As others have mentioned, you will need a good mount ($150 Sadlak Aluminum), a cheek riser ($40) and good rings ($40 for Warne on the low end).

If this is the case, I would suggest looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for about $430.

A bit over budget if you pay retail.

I ended up getting the SWFA SS 3-15x42 (see pics above).

Mount is the ARMS #18 and the rings are Badger mediums.

Scope and rings are awesome, but we'll have to see how the mount holds up - haven't taken it out yet.