• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Help me select a 308 win bullet for long shots

Mr45auto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2007
Oregon City OR
Hunting good sized mule deer where the shots are long and some of the bedding areas are unapproachable without spooking everything. Last year my son and I glassed about and spotted a nice mulie at a ranged 398 yards. My rifle is a 20" .308 autoloader and we sent a 175SMK right through the deer's pump. It managed to get up and another was sent to damned near the same spot then the deer moved about 100 or so yards before collapsing. This year I want to move up with bullet performance and run something that will be effective at this distance and maybe a bit more. Yes I understand the 308 is not the hot ticket for long range shots on deer. I'm considering working up a load with the 165 Nosler BT but I'm concerned it's a bit too explosive at the higher velocities if the shots in the 100 or so yard range. Other than using a different rifle anybody got a reccomendation?

This was the critter shot at 398 yards with the 175SMK. My son's 2nd deer and first game animal shot at anything further than 100yds.
IMG_2658.jpg

Re: Help me select a 308 win bullet for long shots

155 Lapua Scenar.

Bonded bullets are your friend - try Nosler Accubond - 165; Barnes 168 TTSX; Hornady 165 GMX - lots of great bonded bullets out there.

lasthunt002.jpg

The 155gr scenar is your huckleberry....BTW, there is a mule deer buck in this pic....laffin!

Hows that Cinch?.....grin!

alandpat007.jpg

Buck I shot with the 155gr at 320 meters last fall..

Nice, Pat.....Laffin'!!

I've had excellent results from 200-400 yards on pigs with 180 SBT gamekings from a 20 inch barreled 308. Moderate to good performance from 200 and in. Muzzle velocity 2620 avg. That said, I'm switching to 180 ballistic tips and accubonds at 2520 fps this season due to better accuracy. I expect similar results, but haven't been able to test on fur yet.

Stefan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is all this hype about 308's ?? Laffin' </div></div>

Laffin!.....you're the only guy I hang with that doesnt have one....better call George!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is all this hype about 308's ?? Laffin' </div></div>

Laffin!.....you're the only guy I hang with that doesnt have one....better call George!</div></div>

Hard to trust a guy that doesn't have at least one 308. He's obviously got something to hide...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is all this hype about 308's ?? Laffin' </div></div>

Laffin!.....you're the only guy I hang with that doesnt have one....better call George! </div></div>

is it bad that George is one of my Speed dial numbers ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is all this hype about 308's ?? Laffin' </div></div>

Laffin!.....you're the only guy I hang with that doesnt have one....better call George! </div></div>

is it bad that George is one of my Speed dial numbers ??

</div></div>

You have George on speed dial and still don't have .308? definitely a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
alandpat007.jpg

Buck I shot with the 155gr at 320 meters last fall.. </div></div>

My lord that thing is ginormous.

Nice bucks in all the pictures! I don't want to know what bullet you are shooting, just what realestate you are shooting on
wink.gif
I am guessing it is up hidden valley on top of secret peak...lmao congrats!!!

I have had real good results with Berger VLD Hunting bullets. 155 and 175gr. Shoot great and perform well.

i use 168gr Amax bullets. never had an animal go over 50 yards after being shot.most just drop. 4-500yard shots atleast once a year on whitetails

Discussion from elsewhere...

For .308 target shooting to 600yd and under, I favored the 168SMK; and for hunting, its 165gr Gameking counterpart. Nowadays I have no .308's left and prefer the .30-'06 for mid-larger size game. Same bullets, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Discussion from elsewhere...

For .308 target shooting to 600yd and under, I favored the 168SMK; and for hunting, its 165gr Gameking counterpart. Nowadays I have no .308's left and prefer the .30-'06 for mid-larger size game. Same bullets, though. </div></div>

I am using the 30/06 in my hunting endeavors as well, last year I used the 150 grain Hornady Interlocks.I had good dope for them out to 500 yards and did alot of practice sessions on the AR500 elk target to make sure I was confident at all of those ranges.
DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0321.jpg

They served me well and dropped a little muley and a nice 6x6 bull. (300 yards, broadside shot), held high right behind the shoulder as I thought he was "just beyond" 300, point of aim point of impact, the bullet hit a rib and angled down and punctured both lungs, he dropped straight of the top of a ridge about 100 yards straight down! This year I was thinking of trying the berger vld's possibly the 185 grain, still putting some thought into that one though. Here are some pics of the bull I got last year up in the Absaroka Beartooth last September (If you haven't seen it in other threads....I never get tired of polluting the air waves with my hunting pictures
wink.gif
)

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

Of course I always have the fifty there just in case we have to have it! I won't go home empty handed because we got on them and could see them but they got out of range!

The 155g Lapua hasn't disappointed me yet.

xdeano

I have 100 rounds of the 155 Lapua, maybe I will give them a try...I am going to be after elk, not deer, but the 150 grain Hornady stopped that bull in his tracks last year, so maybe I will give them a shot this year.

180 Accubond at 2650-2700 or the 178 AMAX at the same speeds will do anything you want

Depends on what you consider "long distance"... 168 Berger VLD will get it done out a good ways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
alandpat007.jpg

Very happily surprised to see this as I thought at this range and an animal that size the .308 would be out of selection. Did that kill require a particularly accurate shot placement because of the choice of bullet (distance notwithstanding)?

What I'm asking is if using the 155gr Lapua Scenar do you have to be particularly careful to be on target more so than using .30-06 etc to get a clean kill?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What I'm asking is if using the 155gr Lapua Scenar do you have to be particularly careful to be on target more so than using .30-06 etc to get a clean kill? </div></div>

lmao... seriously ???

ya, the 30-06 will kill them with a shot to the foot !

I've killed a lot of deer, 170 to 260 pounds with 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips in 7mm08 and 7mm STW with shots from both rifles from 80 yds to 450 yds. Always high shoulder bone or in the vitals, haven't lost one yet with that bullet. Killed over a dozen whitetails with it. I like high shoulder, especially for anything inside of 200, drops them where they stand. Does inside 250 catch head shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm asking is if using the 155gr Lapua Scenar do you have to be particularly careful to be on target more so than using .30-06 etc to get a clean kill? </div></div>

I would imagine every shot taken at an animal would be taken particularly careful to be on target no matter the headstamp... A bad shot is a bad shot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What I'm asking is if using the 155gr Lapua Scenar do you have to be particularly careful to be on target more so than using .30-06 etc to get a clean kill? </div></div>

lmao... seriously ???

ya, the 30-06 will kill them with a shot to the foot ! </div></div>

I wasn't asking about the 30-06. I was asking if extra attention to shot placement was needed with 155 gr scenars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm asking is if using the 155gr Lapua Scenar do you have to be particularly careful to be on target more so than using .30-06 etc to get a clean kill? </div></div>

I would imagine every shot taken at an animal would be taken particularly careful to be on target no matter the headstamp... A bad shot is a bad shot... </div></div>

I'm clearly asking my question poorly. So I'll rephrase:

Will the 155gr scenar give a quick clean kill? Clearly it'll put the animal down, I just want to know how cleanly. I have a bunch of 155s and if I can use them for hunting then all the better. I had been told otherwise and just want more info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm asking is if using the 155gr Lapua Scenar do you have to be particularly careful to be on target more so than using .30-06 etc to get a clean kill? </div></div>

I would imagine every shot taken at an animal would be taken particularly careful to be on target no matter the headstamp... A bad shot is a bad shot... </div></div>

I'm clearly asking my question poorly. So I'll rephrase:

Will the 155gr scenar give a quick clean kill? Clearly it'll put the animal down, I just want to know how cleanly. I have a bunch of 155s and if I can use them for hunting then all the better. I had been told otherwise and just want more info. </div></div>

I believe what Sman,EHG,and PGS are saying(and I agree with them) is that a 155 WILL put down what your after, as good or bad as any other. Whether it comes from a .308,30-06,300wm doesn't matter, what does matter is where you place the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the 155gr scenar give a quick clean kill? Clearly it'll put the animal down, I just want to know how cleanly. I have a bunch of 155s and if I can use them for hunting then all the better. I had been told otherwise and just want more info. </div></div>

EH... The 155's will kill what you point 'em at with NO problem as long as you're pointin' 'em in the right location...

I kill elk with them quite frequently out to 7-800 yards without a problem using a 308 Win...

Shot placement,bullet construction, headstamp in that order...

Thanks EHG. I've never hunted Elk before and just wanted to make sure of things. Rather look a doofus on here than have to deal with a wounded animal because of 'pride'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks EHG. I've never hunted Elk before and just wanted to make sure of things. Rather look a doofus on here than have to deal with a wounded animal because of 'pride'.

</div></div>Good way to look at it, if you don't know...ask.

Like everyone says, yes a bullet meant for hunting is going to work well IF it goes where it needs to. Practice a lot and never take a shot you second guess or are not sure of. It is easy to get caught up, full of adrenalin and what the f did I just do. In hunting, if it can go wrong it will so as much practice as possible and handling/knowing your gun and knowing its/your capabilities will help a ton. Good luck.

P.S. I have guided a hunt where when the action started the hunter forgot where the safety was on the rifle he was using. When it came time for the shot, he aimed, paused, lifted his head, found the safety and re-mounted for the shot...now with nothing there to shoot at. Missed an opportunity at a giant buck. You have to do a lot more than sight a gun in and put it up to be handy with it. When the time comes, everything that goes in between deciding to shoot and pulling the trigger should be second nature/muscle memory. I say all that is more important than what gun/scope/bullet you have any day.

Thanks for the incredible photos posted, everyone. I would love to have the opportunity to take a deer like those that have been posted!

bucknasty3.jpg

1203092155AaS.jpg

200 pound wt, high shoulder, 7mmSTW 140 Nosler b tip, 90 yds, no tracking

I turn 65 Sunday, and my physical state keeps telling me I have no business being out in the bush anymore. It's a hard decision to have to make, and neither choice holds as much pleasure for me these days. Psrt of my situation makes heavier recoil inadvisable, and I find that .30-'06 consititutes my upper limit (along with 20ga and .44Mag carbine). Even then, I think that 150gr is probably ideal for me, and 165gr constitutes the absolute upper limit.

Here in the NorthEast, long shots are few and far between, with 250yd being considered a farther stretch. There just isn't a lot of suitible open land around here.

My thinking does not favor handloads for hunting. I figure I do enough load develpment already for target work, and that the volume of shooting I do that's associated with actual hunting just doesn't justify the extra development effort.

I have tried Hornady, Winchester, and Remington hunting loads.

For the '06, I like the Remington 150gr and 165gr Core-Lokt Express loads. Basic, widely available, and affordable, they deliver the mail and I have a preference for flat based bullets at short-mid range anyway. Similar loads from Winchester can substitue relatively tranparently.

For the .280, the Hornady 139gr SST Custom/Superformance load is flat-out perfect. Flat shooting, accurate, easy on the shoulder, and Fist-of-God effective inside the distance we have here. I have dabbled with 120gr and 150gr Nosler BT loads for paper, and would have no qualms about trying them on game from woodchucks on up to the larger game.

Any load I would use in the .30-'06 has a corresponding .308 load that I would use without hesitation.

Greg

Greg, do you have a Ruger Deerfield 44mag carbine? Love mine. 220 gr Speer gold dots work great on hogs and deer. Wish someone would make an extended magazine for them. Sometimes I could use a few more rounds when the pigs are thick.

Monolithic, bonded, Berger vld hunting, or partition bullets will NOT be too explosive. At 308 speeds, proven Sierra Game Kings, Spitzers and Remington Core-Lokts are still tough to beat, and inexpensive, if you can find them.
Second, relieve fears of .308 Win being not powerful enough by loading it this way:
a.) 150-165 grain bullet, and;
b.) CCI #34 or LR Magnum primers, and,;
c.) Alliant Reloader 17 propellant, and;
d.) Moly or Hbn coated bullets, and;
e.) find THE load using Optimal Charge Weight method,
With this combination, hunt confidently along side any 30-06 in the world, perhaps more accurately.
* These primers are hard cups and resist extrusion.
* RE17 allows a velocity increase without a corresponding pressure increase, and the same goes for coated bullets.
* Superior Shooting Systems will treat your bullets. If you have a vibratory tumbler, Moly or Hbn (I have plenty I'll give you) and BB's you can do it yourself.

Loading 150 Sierra flat base Spitzers, 45grs/Imr4895, which were accurate and sort of fast in MY gun, I used to shoot everything dead right there with my 308.
Recently, 155 Scenars and 46grs/Varget ran @2850...accurate too, in MY gun.
wink.gif
Work up ya know. Happy hunting and I hope my experience helps you find a super 308 hunting load.

I wouldn't mind having the Ruger, but my .44 Mag carbine is a Winchester M94AE lever gun. Takes 9 Mag cartridges, or 10 Specials.

I have had exceptional accuracy out of 165 grain Sierra HPBT Gamekings. It has proven to be an excellent projectile.

They shoot very well in my Tikkas/Sakos:

089.jpg

and dump deer fine as well. These two were 598 yards with the same 308 that punched the paper above:

2005Deer598yds308Tikka.jpg

Though the 155 Scenars have no doubt proven themselves as clean game killers as has been posted above. Dig those pics!

alandpat007.jpg

That's not up near the old AF base at St. Marie is it?

Ive shot deer at 200,398, 315yds with the hornady 150gr SST. Complete pass through and death within one or two hops.

I have shot 5" clay pigeons at 500yds with the 178gr A-max.

I have fired Nosler balistic tips but not hunted with them.

Hornady has proven itself for me, it's what I use.

alandpat007.jpg

I will shoot my 4 does and 2 bucks this year and not get as much meat as that beast probably had... Texas Whitetail kinda suck..

Try Berger Hunting VLD

I shoot the 165 g Sierra Game kings also. They do very well on everything up to caribou and goat for me. I use the spitzer not the hp.

The 165g SGK shoots just about as tight as the 168g Match kings in my 700 LTR using the same load. Its put many blacktails in the freezer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Okeeper4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive shot deer at 200,398, 315yds with the hornady 150gr SST. Complete pass through and death within one or two hops. </div></div>

I handload this exact bullet and have gotten the same results. They expand perfectly for hunting and are accurate enough for some long range shooting. Very good bullets.