• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me settle a debate. . . wind direction

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
The "o'clock" wind is the direction it is coming "in" from. Example: Wind blowing left to right (full value) is a "9 o'clock" Wind; NOT a "3 o'clock" wind

Image 1.jpeg

It really doesn't matter as long as you use the same method every time. I agree with you that it's 9:00, but if someone calls it 3 consistently, then it works exactly the same.

Not exactly. Bullets climb and crawl based on the direction. It will affect elevation.
He’s right you know. Not to mention that in order to be able to speak to everyone there has to be an understood meaning. Saying it’s 3 o’clock when it’s really 9 o’clock is ok as long as you always do that is wrong. Because the next guy is gonna tell you it correctly and you’re gonna be a hot mess. Wind direction is always given where it’s from. Period.

He’s right you know. Not to mention that in order to be able to speak to everyone there has to be an understood meaning. Saying it’s 3 o’clock when it’s really 9 o’clock is ok as long as you always do that is wrong. Because the next guy is gonna tell you it correctly and you’re gonna be a hot mess. Wind direction is always given where it’s from. Period.
THIS^^^ and is also why I do not listen to most ppl for ANY calls.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I can explain why this happens. Weathervanes point to the direction the wind is blowing. People often think of describing wind direction in that way.

I'm glad you put it's a reference to Two and 1/2 men... I was about to set you up on a blind shooter range date with someone

• Haha
Reactions: LR1845
Yes, wind should be called from the direction it's coming from. However, to make things clear and concise between shooter spotter, is it not better to use "left to right", and then the value. Or even better, STFU about all of that as a spotter and just tell the shooter the mils or holds to use having it figured out for him. :ROFLMAO:

How about barrel twists predominantly being right hand and spin drift, aerodynamic jump n shit?! With the same wind from left or right, the left wind will have less correction than the wind coming from the right because of these things. Just check it out in a ballistics app or Kestrel.

Yes, wind should be called from the direction it's coming from. However, to make things clear and concise between shooter spotter, is it not better to use "left to right", and then the value. Or even better, STFU about all of that as a spotter and just tell the shooter the mils or holds to use having it figured out for him. :ROFLMAO:

How about barrel twists predominantly being right hand and spin drift, aerodynamic jump n shit?! With the same wind from left or right, the left wind will have less correction than the wind coming from the right because of these things. Just check it out in a ballistics app or Kestrel.
I'm tracking what you're saying and while I agree with you I was just talking about identifying wind values and direction for recording purposes. . . someone was VERY SURE I was wrong.

Shooter/Spotter dialog I would do much differently than recording in a data book. You introduce someone to a data book and they forget which ways up and how to spell their name.

I'm tracking what you're saying and while I agree with you I was just talking about identifying wind values and direction for recording purposes. . . someone was VERY SURE I was wrong.

Shooter/Spotter dialog I would do much differently than recording in a data book. You introduce someone to a data book and they forget which ways up and how to spell their name.
By your screen tag I would say you should be calling it out as "Starboard or Port"! :cool:

By your screen tag I would say you should be calling it out as "Starboard or Port"! :cool:
That'd be a whole other conversation I'd have to start having. Sometimes it's a wonder their parents figured out how to reproduce. I don't consider myself overly intelligent but sometimes folks make me feel better about myself.

“4 mph from 9 o’clock”

“11 to 5 at 3 mph”

Really fuck then up with “90 degrees left to right”

“4 mph from 9 o’clock”

“11 to 5 at 3 mph”

Really fuck then up with “90 degrees left to right”
you and I both know there are those who walk among us who DO NOT know their left from right. I swear sometimes anything less than a picture or a TikTok reel and they can't wrap their head around it.

• Haha
Reactions: MadDuner
I don’t even know anymore. I’m left handed and to me that’s about as complicated as it gets.

Always where it's from but I'll add that in to a call if I dont KNOW they know. "10 MPH from 3oclock" "Full value 10 MPH from left to right"

Reactions: USMC22
Username and post info checks out.

As long as we're settling wind debates.... Sorry it's a bit of a read.

Let's say I have a 10mph 6:00/90° that requires a 1.0 MRAD wind hold. If I face my wind meter perpendicular to the target it will read 10mph. Wind effect 100%=wind meter shows 100% value.

Now let's say I turn 90° to new target exactly the same distance away so I have the same 10mph at 3:00 or 9:00/180° that requires no wind hold. If I face my wind meter exactly perpendicular to the target (say it's affixed atop my aiming system to be checking the wind at 90°) it will read 0mph. Wind effect 0%=wind meter shows 0%.

That shouldn't be too controversial but now for the twist:

I turn 45° so I have have the 10mph wind blowing at 45°/10:30 or 1:30 and a target at the same distance again. At this angle the wind has about 70% of the effect it did at 90° so that 1.0 MRAD hold is now 0.7 MRAD.

The question I have is: if my wind meter is also 45° to the 10mph wind (that is acting on my projectile like a 7mph wind at 90°) will the wind meter read 7mph and if not what will it read? 6.9mph? 7.1mph? 5mph? 9mph?

Basically is the effect of an indirect wind on the impeller the same as on a projectile in flight?

Last edited:
Always where it's from but I'll add that in to a call if I dont KNOW they know. "10 MPH from 3oclock" "Full value 10 MPH from left to right"

If you told me “10 MPH from 3 o’clock”, I would assume full value right to left. 12 o’clock- in my face, 6 o’clock up the rear, 9 o’clock left to right.

If you told me “10 MPH from 3 o’clock”, I would assume full value right to left. 12 o’clock- in my face, 6 o’clock up the rear, 9 o’clock left to right.
Have you tried the method of convert clock time to degrees...?
for me it solves allot of the problems.

90 = 3 o clock
180 = 6 o clock
270 = 9 o clock
360/zer0 = 12 o clock

Reactions: KYAggie
Shit. Sorry. I wasn't meaning for them to be the same. I should have picked two that were the same for it to make more sense. That was just 2 ways I would make a wind call. a 3 o clock call (or from 3 o'clock) would be right to left.

Have you tried the method of convert clock time to degrees...?
for me it solves allot of the problems.

90 = 3 o clock
180 = 6 o clock
270 = 9 o clock
360/zer0 = 12 o clock
This would mess me up.

In my brain, deg are always based on N (0 deg)...and clock is specific to shooter's direction.

Why do you prefer it?

Reactions: Conaso
I don't know....
10mph wind from 9:00 or 20mph wind from 3:00 tells me all I need to know about direction related to shooter/target.

This would mess me up.

In my brain, deg are always based on N (0 deg)...and clock is specific to shooter's direction.

Why do you prefer it?
These are standard compass headings. 360 is only highlighted as the duplicate of Zero.

1714398445049.png

Basically is the effect of an indirect wind on the impeller the same as on a projectile in flight?

No, the force applied to the impeller and the tunnel that the impeller is housed in will not give the correct angular wind effect. I have found it to be much higher than the actual effect.

As long as we're settling wind debates.... Sorry it's a bit of a read.

Let's say I have a 10mph 6:00/90° that requires a 1.0 MRAD wind hold. If I face my wind meter perpendicular to the target it will read 10mph. Wind effect 100%=wind meter shows 100% value.

Now let's say I turn 90° to new target exactly the same distance away so I have the same 10mph at 3:00 or 9:00/180° that requires no wind hold. If I face my wind meter exactly perpendicular to the target (say it's affixed atop my aiming system to be checking the wind at 90°) it will read 0mph. Wind effect 0%=wind meter shows 0%.

That shouldn't be too controversial but now for the twist:

I turn 45° so I have have the 10mph wind blowing at 45°/10:30 or 1:30 and a target at the same distance again. At this angle the wind has about 70% of the effect it did at 90° so that 1.0 MRAD hold is now 0.7 MRAD.

The question I have is: if my wind meter is also 45° to the 10mph wind (that is acting on my projectile like a 7mph wind at 90°) will the wind meter read 7mph and if not what will it read? 6.9mph? 7.1mph? 5mph? 9mph?

*The firearm being used in this example is an exceptionally accurate smoothbore musket being fired in laboratory controlled wind conditons*😜
If you have the opportunity to watch a bullet yaw in flight....it makes more sense.

Right...I thought you were saying you equated 0 deg w/ shooter's direction, and called wind using numbers.
No worries.

Declination IIRC is when you re-set the compass, ie to correct errors between magnetic and true north. You can follow a similar logic here for wind, ie to re-establish 0˚ reference as direct on target. Then use the headings of the compass to call wind (origin..ie coming out of 270˚ etc). This is actually useful if you need to model ∆ wind direction effects in math, but I can understand if its not everybody's cup of tea for field use.

No, the force applied to the impeller and the tunnel that the impeller is housed in will not give the correct angular wind effect. I have found it to be much higher than the actual effect.
Interesting. I suppose I could have lined up two or three wind meters but I figured there were smarter and more experienced people than I who knew. I appreciate the response.

If you have the opportunity to watch a bullet yaw in flight....it makes more sense.
As soon I read that I imagined a weathervane type effect or something that I hadn't really thought of.

I took out my tongue in cheek comment about the projectile type as that was just meant to avoid semantics about a left or right wind.