• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me spec a 7MM WSM build please.

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
A friend of mine is going to buy one of my AR's so Im going to have enough money for a complete custom build real soon. I have already ordered a Timney Trigger set at 1.5 pounds, and I ordered a fluted MTU contour Rock barrel with a 1 in 8.7 twist (thats what Paul recommended) today.

What I need help with is this......

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel length</span>, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking 26" finish, but is that enough for serious long range work? should I step up to 27" or 28"?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Action</span>, I'm pretty sure that the best action for the WSM is the Surgeon WSM action since it does not need to be modified to work with the WSM round like other actions. And since Im on a budget, I think Im going to get the new Surgeon round action with the Surgeon pinned lug, and pinned 20 moa base. Any thoghts on this? Should I be looking at other actions?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock</span>, since Im on a budget, Im going to use the short action AICS stock off of my Remmy 5R until I can buy a dedicated stock for the 7MM, but I think it will be another short action AICS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope</span> Im going to be ordering the production version of the Falcon FFP 5-25x50 or 56 scope from RWS when it comes out.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings</span> SEEKINS without a doubt!!!!!

Any help is appreciated guys, and those of you with 7mm WSM builds, please post your rifle specs, Ide love to see what components you guys are using (barrel length, twist, brand, trigger, action, stock, etc)

thanks
USMCj

Re: Help me spec a 7MM WSM build please.

If you are going to shoot the heavier bullets, make sure the AICS mags are modified for the extra length. Other then that, the specs look good.

Here are the specs of my build:
Stiller Tac 30 Short Action
Broughton 1:9twist 7.5 contour, finished at 26"
Manners T2A stock finished in FDE, 14.5 LOP
Badger M5 Magazine system with AICS mags
Harris BRMS with Podloc Bipod
TAB Gear Sling
Stiller 20MOA base
Stiller Recoil Lug
Badger Alloy High rings
Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS with the NPR1 reticle

Thanks Bacarrat, and yes I know about the mags, I hope AI will have the WSM mags by the time my build is done. If not, then Ill get a Accurate Mag 10 round WSM to hold me over until AI makes the WSM mags.

Were are you in CA, if you are in LA area come check mine out. I have a few.

Hi Adam,

Ive talked to you on the phone before, we were supposed to go shooting with Randall and some other guys in the desert and you couldnt make it at the last moment, remember?

Thanks for the offer, the funny part is I was around Valencia today (went fishing at lake Piru) had I known earlier, I would have stopped by on the way home.

You going to be available later on tonight? I dont want to hit traffic on the 5N.

Adam, thanks for taking the time showing me your rifles and answering all 1 billion of my questions.

Change the scope. You are putting Montgomery Ward tires on your Porsche.

I'm having one built now (actually it's built I'm waiting for it to be Duracoated) using pretty much the same specs as yours.
As soon as the KMW Sentinel stocks become available I intend to swap it over.

Surgeon WSM action
Bartlien 28" 1-9 fluted heavy varmint profile
AICS 2.0
Jewell
Badger Ordinance rings
NF 12-42x56
Modified mag to shoot the 180 Berger VLD

IanB, any reason for going with a 28" barrel over a 26?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Change the scope. You are putting Montgomery Ward tires on your Porsche. </div></div>

LOL, thats some funny shit. I know I am, but with the cost of the build, I dont have much money left for good optics. The Falcon should hold me over until I can buy NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IanB, any reason for going with a 28" barrel over a 26?</div></div>

No particular reason, I just fancied something a little bit longer. The rifle itself is going to weigh gawd knows what (17lbs?) so a few extra inches on the barrel length wasn't really going to bother me.

I changed my order to a 27" finish so Ill have some room to set it back in the future. I had not thought about that when I first placed the order for the barrel. Thanks for the info IanB.

It's a great cartrige, I've got a Surgeon with a 25" flutted MTU barrel, I'm getting 2990fps with the 180 gr VLDs and RL17. I also have a second Rifle on order at GAP, but with a Manner T2A Stock.

How is RL17 working out for you as far as accuracy and temp sensitivity?