• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help Me spend my money on AR optics

EMorr

I need a nap
Minuteman
So I am finally upgrading and moving past using iron sights on my AR, now the real question is what kind of optics will I put on it, I have narrowed it down to 3 different possibilities and I wanted to get the opinions of the members here. First a little back story, I am not in the military and I am not going into a war zone, this is strictly a fun gun although I may at some point take a carbine course but for the time being I only plan on using this rifle for target practice and fun. That being said I’m not worried about spending good money on optics, I am a firm believer of the saying of you can’t hit what you can’t see. So without further delay here are the different routes I am considering.

Option #1: The primary optic will be an EOtech 517 with BUIS and later the EOtech 3X magnifier. In the cases where I want to shoot my AR at distances than 300 yards this would come off the rifle and be replaced by my old Leupold VX-2 3-9X 40 scope.

Option #2: In this option I would go a little cheaper to save some money so I can shoot more. The primary optic would be the Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot with the VXM3 3X magnifier and swing mount. Again this set up would come off of the rifle if I really wanted to shoot a further distances.

Option #3: The last option is kind of a tradeoff for quantity over quality and that would be going the route of the Burris 1-4X24 MTAC scope, a Fastfire II Red Dot all mounted on a P.E.P.R. and of course if need be I would use my Leupold for longer shots. Again this option would give me a little extra mover for ammo over the EOtech option.

I know there are several other options out there such as Aimpoint and Trijicon ACOG and I will consider any suggestions but I would really like to hear opinions on the 3 options I have listed.

Re: Help Me spend my money on AR optics

If you wanted to spend some serious money and not have to upgrade I would go with a U.S. Optics, ST-6 with JNG-MOA reticle (std.) or an SN-4 1-4x or 1-6x.

I mean it seems you want this carbine as a "point & shoot". Which is usually good out to 100 yds. or so. After that it takes a ton of practice to get li'l red dot on target as quickly as you see in the movies, laser or dot reticle. With the JNG ret. you won't have to swap scopes out for long range. Easier to handle one gun all the time.

This is twice the optic you showed us in both price and quality. My $.02

I would NOT do option 1. In my opinion, the Eotech is a killer optic for what it was designed for, but the 3X makes for a relatively expensive, heavy package that really isn't as versatile as they would have you believe... A good 1-4 would be a LOT better option (SS, Vortex)!

I'm with Chris on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would NOT do option 1. In my opinion, the Eotech is a killer optic for what it was designed for, but the 3X makes for a relatively expensive, heavy package that really isn't as versatile as they would have you believe... A good 1-4 would be a LOT better option (SS, Vortex)!

I'm with Chris on this one. </div></div>

Second that. Speaking from experience, the EOTech/3x magnifier combo is much heavier than it needs to be and takes up a lot of rail space. If you're looking at spending around 1k, look at a 4x ACOG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking from experience...</div></div>
I almost got caught up in that game, glad I didn't!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would NOT do option 1. In my opinion, the Eotech is a killer optic for what it was designed for, but the 3X makes for a relatively expensive, heavy package that really isn't as versatile as they would have you believe... A good 1-4 would be a LOT better option (SS, Vortex)!

I'm with Chris on this one. </div></div>

Second that. Speaking from experience, the EOTech/3x magnifier combo is much heavier than it needs to be and takes up a lot of rail space. <span style="color: #FF0000">If you're looking at spending around 1k</span>, look at a 4x ACOG.</div></div>

Or.......the Vortex Razor 1-4 would be a good buy as well if you want to step up to the next tier. I don't like the weight on the 1-6 personally.

When I posted this I was leaning to the Burris setup over the other two, I think if I do go this route I will just get the P.E.P.R and Fastfire red dot and then decide what scope I want in it, I really like Vortex scopes and have a 6-24X50 PST on order for my bolt gun. The Nightforce and U.S. Optics scope are a bit more than I planned on spending but not out of the question, they would just require a little more saving. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.

Of the 3 options, I would also say the Burris option, though I would just pass on the Fastfire. You may find the MTAC at 1x is sufficient. For a fun gun, the 4x mag can be nice.

On the other hand, an Aimpoint H-1/T-1 (and magnifier if you need it) would not have the same weight penalty of options 1 & 2. For tactical classes, the Aimpoint is tough to beat.

I agree with the comment above about considering an ACOG - a nice option could the a TA33 ACOG. Nice eye relief and light weight and can be used with both eyes open with practice.

I had another thought, and this is really just personal preference... I don't think I'd go with the PEPR mount due to the fact that it puts your dot sight up so high. I would probably go with one of the various 45 mounts, but again, that's just me. I'm sure that the PEPR mount is fine as far as quality is concerned, just not for me from a design standpoint.

T1 if you want a red dot kit.....

or

Trijicon TR24G for a solid 1-4x.....