• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me spend my money wisely

BigRso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Whats up and Happy Holidays,

I need some suggestions on a pre-fit barrel for a Savage Small Shank.

I am thinking 24" 1:10 twist varmint contour 308win threaded muzzle would be a plus.

I wouldn't mind a 22" but don't want to hinder my velocity at the muzzle is there really much gained by going 24" or even 26"?

I know a lot of people are making them now, but want some opinions I was going to pick up a shilen from midway and emailed sin arms about an lw barrel but no answer.

I really want something I can learn on and possibly compete at some point I am a new jack only been dealing with bolt guns for about a year and a half.

I had a mcgowen and got a lemon from them and don't want to take any more chances with them.

I have $375 including shipping to invest and want the best I can get for that price.

Thanks in advance and have a great holiday season

What was wrong with the Mcgowen barrel?
after it got hot your poi was 1" off from poa and this was with a heavy bull barrel when I got the barrel in the finish was damaged had to have it spun and sprayed. Just a horrible experience all together.

I have an older guy at my gun club that had an old savage action and he traded me some components for it, I couldn't even sell it and do some one wrong with that lemon.

was going to send it back to Mcgowen but I lost all faith in them with them sending me a barrel with a damaged finished from the start

Last edited:
Rock Creek (goes by cut-rifled here on the hide) probably makes the absolute highest quality savage profits available, but I think they're just a shade more than your budget.

I read about great Shilens and others, but I've only personal experience with CBI. All 3 have been GREAT.

That said, they aren't available in varmint contour in any length other than 26".

Are you sure you want a 308? Sure you don't want a 243, 260 or 6.5creed?

Rock Creek (goes by cut-rifled here on the hide) probably makes the absolute highest quality savage profits available, but I think they're just a shade more than your budget.

I read about great Shilens and others, but I've only personal experience with CBI. All 3 have been GREAT.

That said, they aren't available in varmint contour in any length other than 26".

I was actually thinking 260 but can't afford to spend money on powders I was going to convert my 308 brass sell my 175s and get new heads but all the powders I have on hand don't work well imr4895&4064, cfe223, and h322

What are his rates usually the most I would be able to spend $425 marriage you guys already know lol

Great choice, my rock creek 6.5 creed pre-fit shoots awesome!

I just picked up some bp2000 and smooth kote did you do this process for your break in? I use to do the run a patch after every rd for first 10 blah blah blah but read Mike Rock recommends using these products and then shooting 20 rds and you are good to go.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I just picked up some bp2000 and smooth kote did you do this process for your break in? I use to do the run a patch after every rd for first 10 blah blah blah but read Mike Rock recommends using these products and then shooting 20 rds and you are good to go.

No, after reading around here I came to the conclusion it's not needed. I did run a patch and a brush through it a couple times befor ever shooting it incase there was anything left in there from the factory, but after that I just went out and fired about 30 rounds for load development. I will say I cleaned it after about 100 rounds the other day, went to shoot to confirm zero before a match and was shooting 1-1.25 groups, after about 20 rounds the groups tightned back up again. I think she likes to run dirty. Above are 2 pics during load development with 140gr hybrids at 2840fps.
Sorry first time loading pics here, looks like I doubled up

Last edited:
View attachment 22973View attachment 22974View attachment 22973View attachment 22974

No, after reading around here I came to the conclusion it's not needed. I did run a patch and a brush through it a couple times befor ever shooting it incase there was anything left in there from the factory, but after that I just went out and fired about 30 rounds for load development. I will say I cleaned it after about 100 rounds the other day, went to shoot to confirm zero before a match and was shooting 1-1.25 groups, after about 20 rounds the groups tightned back up again. I think she likes to run dirty. Above are 2 pics during load development with 140gr hybrids at 2840fps.
Sorry first time loading pics here, looks like I doubled up

Nice shooting looks like they are well under .5 . I already purchased the products so it cant hurt. I cant wait to get this barrel on and shooting.