• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me spend my money?

skipbarberman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
Hi all - I have just finished building an AR15 with a RRA 24" EOP upper/PRS stock, etc. I would like to exploit the 400-600yd range at some point, but recognize the limitations of the round. I need to put glass on this thing, and want to get something good, but don't want to get too far in the weeds here. I will be using in low light/dark with Coyotes/Coy Dogs, varmints and such. I like the Trijicon scope (TR22R) but can't find much info on it, other than limited elevation. I want to learn to shoot longer ranges and am looking for a scope that can help me do that.

I can put a (Nightforce, US Optics, etc.)on this, but it realistically can't be a 1000yd gun - unless I'm missing something. I can - I just don't want - to put $1800 on top of this unless it absolutely makes sense. Price is somewhat of an object, but I am a BIG fan of the "right tool for the job". What are the general thoughts here?

Oh - and those that may not be familiar, I picked the EOP upper (3/4" raised flattop over the receiver) to mount a larger objective lens. I genuinely hope that was not a mistake. Thanks in advance.

Re: Help me spend my money?

NXS 2.5 x 10 x 32 and I think they can be had in $1100 range or a 3.5 x 15 x 50 which were selling for $1300 on certain models. You are going to have to spend some money to get a optic that preforms well in low light and you may want to jump into NV but that gets pricey also.

Check out the review LL did of the USO 1.8-10 tpal. Just don't expect too much from any of the small diameter scopes in the last 5-10 min of light. At least that is my expierence.

Nightforce has several options that would be well-suited to your rifle. There are a ton of other mfgs that offer scopes well suited to the AR for 600yd use. I don't care much for the EOP platform, but it will allow you to use lower rings and mount a larger objective scope without too much difficulty. You want the scope as low as possible to get a good cheekweld...although the PRS adjustable comb will help you there if you need a little extra height.

Check out the following options:

1) Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 (however, with the EOP, this scope may sit higher than it would ever need to with just an A4...also, the limited 32mm obj may give you grief in lower light situations);

2) Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50

3) IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical Illum. MP-8 Reticle

4) 4-14x50 30mm SF Tactical Scope Illum. MP-8 Reticle

There really are a S#!Tload of different options out there worth considering. You might try running a Google search of the Hide and see what you get as this question comes up pretty regularly.

Ive got a 5.5x50 Trijicon that F#cking Rocks, (Thanks KYShooter)

Another scope I have on my PDog hunting AR is a 6-24 Vortex Viper, for a low cost scope I dont think you could get much better.

Another one of my Coyote AR has a 4.5-14x50 IOR with the big knob, thats glass is amazing and would highly recommend that one too!

If shooting varmits at a long range is what your doing in low light. NF nxs scope is worth looking into.I use a 5.5x 22x50 some may say its overkill but you dont have to shoot it at 22 power all the time you can still range find at 11 power with the npr-1 reticle very easily and then dial it up to 22 power to see your terminal ballistics. If your shooting at the range at 100 yards I leave the spotting scope home then your scope is multi tasking and saying you money.

If the majority of your shooting will be in day light or low light, I would go with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20. If you are actually going to shoot in the dark, my vote goes to the NF NXS.