• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Help me spend $ on binoculars

WillHugh

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Howdy - need assistance picking out a set of binoculars. I've read up on here and other forums, but don't have an opportunity to try before buying, and am inexperienced with optics that don't let me see in the dark or mount to a rifle. Intended use will be scouting targets and spotting trace and splash out to roughly 1,000 yards. I've used a buddy's spotting scope before and it worked well, but was bulky, and really only good for static use.

Current contenders:
- Used Swaro 10x42 el ~ roughly $1,500
- Zeiss Conquest 10x42 ~ sub $1,000
- The new Vortex Fury rangefinder binos for $1,000 (have access to a discount)

Am I going to see a huge difference between these as far as glass quality and capability goes? I like the idea of the built in rangefinder with the Vortex unit, but don't want to be disappointed in the optical quality, and I worry about the longevity of the electronics. I'm generally a buy once cry once kind of guy, and have been spoiled by my S&B scopes, but don't want to spend extra unnecessarily. Should I be looking at more than 10x for my intended use? Any others I should be considering?

Thanks for any insight you can share
Will

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

Reactions: WillHugh
I’m in the same position. I’m looking at Leica or Zeiss.
Which models are you looking at? I'd like to get some hands on experience with different units to see how they stack up. I don't really have a good frame of reference aside from the scopes I've used, but not really sure how pricing and glass quality translate.

No experience with the Vortex, but I've owned both the Swaro and Zeiss.

I had the ELs & Conquest at the same time, also 10x42 SLC. To MY EYES, the SLC was the best of the 3.

I've since sold all 3, currently have the new Swaro NL Pure 12x42, and Leica UltraVid HD Plus 10x42.

It's close, but I think I prefer the Leica. Especially since I got a great price on them used, < 1/2 the price of the Swaro.

No experience with the Vortex, but I've owned both the Swaro and Zeiss.

I had the ELs & Conquest at the same time, also 10x42 SLC. To MY EYES, the SLC was the best of the 3.

I've since sold all 3, currently have the new Swaro NL Pure 12x42, and Leica UltraVid HD Plus 10x42.

It's close, but I think I prefer the Leica. Especially since I got a great price on them used, < 1/2 the price of the Swaro.
How would you rate the Zeiss in comparison to the others? I wouldn't expect it to be as good given the price difference, but am curious how it stacks up. Looks like I can get a new set of the Conquests for ~ $750 new.

I just got done comparing the 15x Swaro SLC's to the new Meopta Rangefinding Binos while watching trace out to 1380y or so. It was enough that it got me to offload my spotter and order up the 15x B1 Plus for this use. I have the B1 Plus in 8x32 and they are spectacular. I am expecting the same from the 15x56's. Ordered up an RRS Cinch Elite for my mounting solution. Will advise when everything arrives.

I as well as several buddies have the forge binos. I like them. Easy on the eyes after using all day

I just went through this. I didn't want to carry 3 things with me (Binos, LRF, and Kestrel). I wanted the Swaro EL Range in the 12X real bad.

Went and looked at the new Fury with AB. It's only a 10X, however having a weather station, LRF, and Applied Ballistics Elite on board is hard to pass on. I sacrificed on glass and mag range, but overall total package was there for the money ($1601.xx out the door at Cabelas). I could still go pick up a pair of Meostar 12X50 HD for $1500 and be close to a pair of the new Swaro EL range ($3600). Have a pair for spotting and another for building course of fire notes and ballistic solutions.

Bushnell Forge 15s get my vote, too. Hard to argue with binos that let me tell the difference between a T1000 reflector hit and a plate hit at over 1k yards in heavy mirage when spotting at a match.

I would want a 12 or 15 power binoculars for spotting trace. I don't believe 10 power is enough.
10x is good for about 700.

I help out a lot at my local club and use my 10x42 Leupolds with great success.

People are always amazed at how much more they see with binos versus spotting scopes.

How would you rate the Zeiss in comparison to the others? I wouldn't expect it to be as good given the price difference, but am curious how it stacks up. Looks like I can get a new set of the Conquests for ~ $750 new.
I liked them a lot. Very clear and bright. I kept them as a back up pair for several years, instead of the ELs.

Zeiss was the 1st 'nice' glass I ever bought, so I may have a soft spot. :cool:

But still, very nice, and if I came across a good deal, I'd consider buying another set.

Reactions: WillHugh
Thanks for all the suggestions! It's starting to sound like I might need to consider two sets of binos eventually, one for spotting off a tripod (Forge 15x) and one lower power (Conquest 10x or the like) for general use. The girlfriend wants to use these for birdwatching too, so I probably can't go with 15x on the first pair, though she does enjoy spotting for me when I shoot.

I may hold out a bit longer until some more people get the Vortex binoculars in hand - the prospect of an all in one unit is appealing.

Look at the athlon cronus 15x56 as well. I am very happy with mine. Better resolution than my vortex razor spotting scope

I run Swarovski ELs. Picked them up on sale a couple of years ago. Don't regret the purchase one bit. These were the best to my eyes

Thanks for all the suggestions! It's starting to sound like I might need to consider two sets of binos eventually, one for spotting off a tripod (Forge 15x) and one lower power (Conquest 10x or the like) for general use. The girlfriend wants to use these for birdwatching too, so I probably can't go with 15x on the first pair, though she does enjoy spotting for me when I shoot.

I may hold out a bit longer until some more people get the Vortex binoculars in hand - the prospect of an all in one unit is appealing.
The Forge 15x are certainly at home on a tripod, it's why we included the tripod adapter with them. I personally wouldn't use them for much general observation, but for spotting on a tripod they really can't be beat for the money.

General observation my personal preference is 8x42, and that's what it seems like I see for people using for birding. Something about 8x is just comfortable for me for general. Just a personal preference. The Forge 8x42 are nice, but the Engage EDX 8x42 are on par with the glass and in a much lighter package.