• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help me spend $ on thermal & NV

Lilikoibars

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2021
Hawaii
Lurked and read and lurked some more and have finally made an account to poll the group direct. I am looking to upgrade my optics set up. I have $8k to spend this year and about $10k for next. FYI - not my money! I perform predator control for a conservation group in Hawaii. I am tasked with removing an introduced avian predator from a nature preserve. So far the set up has consisted of a decoy/game caller set up, a 12 gauge with IR aiming laser, and NOD's. I hunt with a partner and each of us have used PVS-7's for the last 4 years. The target is about the size of a duck and is taken on the wing, usually at 20-30 yards but can sometimes reach out to 40-50 if needed. However my vantage point allows me to see at least 1000 yards. We try to utilize full moon phase whenever we can but sometimes its very cloudy and dim regardless. I hunt with a partner who collects data and is also spotting. We are typically stationary for 4-5 hours in a blind after arriving on location.

We are limited in 2 areas - 1) detecting targets at long distances in order to lure them closer, and 2) quickly acquiring target at close range - often approaches quietly from my periphery or my 6 and is already out of range by the time it's noticed in my tiny FOV. I am intending to outfit the shooter with a dual-tube NVG (maybe 50 degree glass) next year. Far as I can tell, shooter needs to retain NV in at least 1 eye, as there is no better way to point a scattergun at night than with IR laser. I am debating about the utility of either dual band thermal/NV, or dedicated thermal binos for the spotter. Unfortunately, being in Hawaii I do not have the luxury of visiting a store to experience first hand the performance of any device. I understand there will be trade-offs in either situation. I have had the opportunity to use Pulsar Accolade thermal binos, and was blown away by what I could see. Obviously the new Merger line is even better and even their top of the line unit just barely fits in my budget. The other option is go for modularity with a dual band. I MAY be able to source a RH25+PVS-14 in WP for 8k. I know in that price range I could also go with a NOX18 or Armasight jockey for a thermal, and a Tanto instead of PVS 14.

Anyone out there have experience with both of these totally disparate set-ups? Maybe you can enlighten me about performance or shortcomings of each. I'm worried binos will be too magnified (2.5x base) for close-up work and very heavy to hold up for that duration. Im worried a monocular will cause too much eye fatigue or will not be able to detect a feathered body out beyond 100-200 yards.

Thanks to anyone who wants to educate or berate!

Reactions: BurtG
You need a small lightweight 640 unit for scanning, and something with higher base mag for PID and long distance spotting. A combo of a NOX18 (which is also ideal for a short range weapon sight) and a higher base mag monocular or binocular would be ideal. I would start with the NOX - I think you would be amazed at both the detection range and image quality for such a small unit.

I personally have Trijicon 640 stuff in 35 and 60 mm, and have used my 35 mm scope as a spotter. It is somewhat heavy but works just fine.

A 640 clip on thermal will allow you to scan from a tripod while mounted in front of a LVPO or mid range 2-12 type optic. 1-8 is plenty though with something like a Bering Super Yoter C or RH25. Look in the PX if you really want to drop $10K on something that will PID at longer range more easily.
Holler @TheHorta
He may have something for sale if he’s still around.

Lurked and read and lurked some more and have finally made an account to poll the group direct. I am looking to upgrade my optics set up. I have $8k to spend this year and about $10k for next. FYI - not my money! I perform predator control for a conservation group in Hawaii. I am tasked with removing an introduced avian predator from a nature preserve. So far the set up has consisted of a decoy/game caller set up, a 12 gauge with IR aiming laser, and NOD's. I hunt with a partner and each of us have used PVS-7's for the last 4 years. The target is about the size of a duck and is taken on the wing, usually at 20-30 yards but can sometimes reach out to 40-50 if needed. However my vantage point allows me to see at least 1000 yards. We try to utilize full moon phase whenever we can but sometimes its very cloudy and dim regardless. I hunt with a partner who collects data and is also spotting. We are typically stationary for 4-5 hours in a blind after arriving on location.

We are limited in 2 areas - 1) detecting targets at long distances in order to lure them closer, and 2) quickly acquiring target at close range - often approaches quietly from my periphery or my 6 and is already out of range by the time it's noticed in my tiny FOV. I am intending to outfit the shooter with a dual-tube NVG (maybe 50 degree glass) next year. Far as I can tell, shooter needs to retain NV in at least 1 eye, as there is no better way to point a scattergun at night than with IR laser. I am debating about the utility of either dual band thermal/NV, or dedicated thermal binos for the spotter. Unfortunately, being in Hawaii I do not have the luxury of visiting a store to experience first hand the performance of any device. I understand there will be trade-offs in either situation. I have had the opportunity to use Pulsar Accolade thermal binos, and was blown away by what I could see. Obviously the new Merger line is even better and even their top of the line unit just barely fits in my budget. The other option is go for modularity with a dual band. I MAY be able to source a RH25+PVS-14 in WP for 8k. I know in that price range I could also go with a NOX18 or Armasight jockey for a thermal, and a Tanto instead of PVS 14.

Anyone out there have experience with both of these totally disparate set-ups? Maybe you can enlighten me about performance or shortcomings of each. I'm worried binos will be too magnified (2.5x base) for close-up work and very heavy to hold up for that duration. Im worried a monocular will cause too much eye fatigue or will not be able to detect a feathered body out beyond 100-200 yards.

Thanks to anyone who wants to educate or berate!
I have ptq136 and pvs 14. Mum-14 rails
Armasight bridge as well as KVC knock off

KVC is better

Hey I clips

Enjoy gen 3+ if you can get a monocular

I have dual pvs 14

And it is great for ready up drills with passive / white light/ IR light drills

But

Mono works fine and with thermal and nvg

It is super for observing with thermals and moving with pvs14

Get it all! It is way fun at night

I’ve been meaning to say thanks to all those who replied - I’ve been really busy getting another season started and haven’t been able to get back on here. I’ll eventually update all when I have more hours behind the wheel but TLDR - I was able to try some pulsar goggles and a RH25 in the real world - went for the Pulsar binoculars and they’re unreal.