• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Me Spend Some Money with Leupold

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    I got a 30% off coupon at a recent shooting event on any one Leupold item. Need help deciding what would fit best.

My current scopes/optics:
    Razor 3-18
    Steiner Px4i 4-16
    Bushnell Rangefinder (does fine out to ~1200-1700yds)
    two lower tier scopes (athlon and vortex used on a .22 and my SPR style AR)

My main precision shooting is for fun. Banging steel at Thunder Valley or Raynors Range, or on the farm. I do not currently compete in PRS or NRL. I may in the future, but my main dedication lies in USPSA, so PRS would just be to get better and have fun. I do occasionally deer or coyote hunt but I'm not that serious into it, and I'm in Ohio so no mountains or western style hunting is happening.

Options from Leupold I'm pondering:
    Mark 5HD (3.6-18 or 5-25) With discount I'm looking at $1300-$1500 new for either(non-illum). Not sure if they're worth the squeeze, and all my rifles do currently have an optic, albeit the Razor is probably the only one thats in line with Mark5HD quality.

Leupold Tripod - I don't compete and even if I did, I doubt I'd spend the money on RRS, so something like this or two vets is what i'd get. Their Pro guide tripod would be $450ish with discount and has the ballhead and arca attachment already on it. Holds ~40lbs. I have played around with their Mark5 tripod at an event and I did like it. I felt it would do anything I need to.

Leupold Binos

Something else?

Given my situation, what would you do? I'm more of a pistol shooter than rifle, so maybe more experienced guys can let me know their past regrets given a similar situation.

I got a 30% off coupon at a recent shooting event on any one Leupold item. Need help deciding what would fit best.

My current scopes/optics:
    Razor 3-18
    Steiner Px4i 4-16
    Bushnell Rangefinder (does fine out to ~1200-1700yds)
    two lower tier scopes (athlon and vortex used on a .22 and my SPR style AR)

My main precision shooting is for fun. Banging steel at Thunder Valley or Raynors Range, or on the farm. I do not currently compete in PRS or NRL. I may in the future, but my main dedication lies in USPSA, so PRS would just be to get better and have fun. I do occasionally deer or coyote hunt but I'm not that serious into it, and I'm in Ohio so no mountains or western style hunting is happening.

Options from Leupold I'm pondering:
    Mark 5HD (3.6-18 or 5-25) With discount I'm looking at $1300-$1500 new for either(non-illum). Not sure if they're worth the squeeze, and all my rifles do currently have an optic, albeit the Razor is probably the only one thats in line with Mark5HD quality.

Leupold Tripod - I don't compete and even if I did, I doubt I'd spend the money on RRS, so something like this or two vets is what i'd get. Their Pro guide tripod would be $450ish with discount and has the ballhead and arca attachment already on it. Holds ~40lbs. I have played around with their Mark5 tripod at an event and I did like it. I felt it would do anything I need to.

Leupold Binos

Something else?

Given my situation, what would you do? I'm more of a pistol shooter than rifle, so maybe more experienced guys can let me know their past regrets given a similar situation.
    You have a spotting scope? If not, look at the Mk 4 spotting scopes. You can get them w mil reticle.

Do tell....

Ohio Range Day put on by Achilles Heel Tactical. I took a condensed 2 day version of Intro to Precision Rifle with Modern Day Sniper. One of the Leupold reps was there as a vendor and helped us all spot both days.

You have a spotting scope? If not, look at the Mk 4 spotting scopes. You can get them w mil reticle.
    I've thought about that before, but after talking to a few guys, they actually just suggested binos. I understand those two are wildly different, but since most of my shooting is on steel, the 12-15x binos they had set up were more than enough to spot hits and misses, plus you can actually use them in the field more. The only other thing would be spotting groups at 100yds, and I've always just done that with my scopes.

That being said, I'm no long range expert, so maybe I'm missing something there?

A little extra magnification with the 5-25 would be nice for longer range at Thunder Valley . Having a extra scope as a backup is a good thing. Your at Thunder Valley u know how nice it is to have a spotter with a reticle an a shooting buddy. I often spend the day doing just that helping people.

That's the main reason I was looking at the 5-25 first, is not only having a longer mag range scope available if need be, but also a spare scope. I definitely would not get rid of either of my nicer scopes. The Steiner performed very well out to 700 on my 223AI during the event. We did night shooting with a few spot lights and I was very surprised how well it performed in low light.

The main reason I was considering a tripod is we used them in class and I now see the benefit of them since I got to use them.

Not on your radar, but if you shoot 22lr and want something that can push your limits in training or teach kids precision, my very favorite scope is the 6.5-20x40 EFR. Crisp image, parallax adjustable up close and we shoot shotgun hulls in the berm at 100yds with suprising consistency.

Reactions: Gustav7
    Not on your radar, but if you shoot 22lr and want something that can push your limits in training or teach kids precision, my very favorite scope is the 6.5-20x40 EFR. Crisp image, parallax adjustable up close and we shoot shotgun hulls in the berm at 100yds with suprising consistency.

I'll keep that in mind, however my Vortex Diamondback tactical sits on my 22 right now, and I just don't take my 22's seriously enough to get anything nicer. For a cheap scope, I really like it.

Ah being pulled into the web of long range shooting ; tripod good for shooting at Thunder Valley , on farm , an field use hunting. I think we have a winner.
    LOL, always getting pulled in some direction. I may be leaning that way. I've read quite a few reviews on the Mk5HD vs the XTRIII as well and at $1200 for the XTR, its substantially less money than the MK5 even with the discount. Decisions Decisions.

Ohio Range Day put on by Achilles Heel Tactical. I took a condensed 2 day version of Intro to Precision Rifle with Modern Day Sniper. One of the Leupold reps was there as a vendor and helped us all spot both days.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Will need AAR over beer.

Ah being pulled into the web of long range shooting ; tripod good for shooting at Thunder Valley , on farm , an field use hunting. I think we have a winner.

I'm kinda thinking the same because I'm in the same boat as @Gustav7

If there's nothing you need or want, sell the cert.
    Well my dumbass didn't realize they offer a vet discount and you don't have to be active duty, so that's probably what I'll do. Not even sure how to price that? lol

I'll be at CCSC 9/24 match, Cardinal 10/2 match, and I'm in your guys' squad for the Oct. Monster Match
    We should catch up in Oxford. The other two places are just too far for me for just a club match.

Your cert is still way better than the .mil price. If I were in your shoes, I would look at the BX-5 Santiam 15x56mm Binos. I love my Mark 4 spotter, but I use my 15x binos far more often.

Your cert is still way better than the .mil price. If I were in your shoes, I would look at the BX-5 Santiam 15x56mm Binos. I love my Mark 4 spotter, but I use my 15x binos far more often.

It’s the same, already registered. Cert is now for sale in the Px.

I was looking at the Bx4 pro guides. I like the 12x a little better, as they’d be used on and off a tripod. I’ve Also read a few reviews noting the BX4’s as more of a field bino and the Santiums more for PRS style use.