• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help me spend some money

kchustle

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
OP, KS
Since this is my first post to this site I should probably thank all of you for the information that I have already gleaned from lurking for a while (and curse you for giving me rifle envy).

My dilemma is simple and probably not new. I am trying to decide between the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and the Savage Model 10 PC. I have shot the remington and like it. The reason that I am considering the Savage is because it has some of the things that I would want right out of the box (detachable mags, larger bolt handle, arguably better factory stock). I will eventually upgrade either. I have looked at parts for both and feel like I can get comparable parts for either for what I would want. So, the question is do I spend a couple hundred more now to get a couple of features I want and what I feel would be a better out of the box rifle or do I just suck it up and get the remington and spend the money to add the stuff I want down the road? Either gun will be a better shooter than I am for now but I really like the idea of detachable mags and the other stuff just makes the sell easier.

I would particularly love to hear from anyone that has gone through the remington/savage debate and has some insight for me.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help me spend some money

Ok putting Flame jacket on. I have and have owned Remmington 700's Currently own a Remmington 700 XCR-but have sold it to my Best Friend and purchased a custom rifle. The only Savage that I have handled was when I was up at Gunsite and Savage donated a brand new rifle for an event. The thing never worked right out of the box (would not fire). After I left from that event I kept in touch and I was told that they sent it back and got a new one ... which also did not work right (did not fire). Not sure what happened next. I am sure that you have some people here that use and like Savage. However that is my only experience.

If it were me -- I would go with Remmington .. get an upgraded bolt knob ($100 lots of Gunsmiths on the hide do that) and just shoot, spend the extra money on a good optic as much as you can afford-this will pay off later. Then save your money up for your next rifle that will have your laundry list of options.

Detachable mags are highly over rated IMHO.

I've got the Kinetic's research group bolt handle on my 700 and love it. It was 35$. For a couple hundred you can add basically any trigger you want.

You might take a look at the 20" 5R that's out right now. It looks pretty sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You might take a look at the 20" 5R that's out right now. It looks pretty sweet. </div></div>

This. Would definitely give this one a look over before choosing between the two you mentioned.

I think you are Greatly overestimating the aftermarket options for a savage 10PC. Because of the way they are put together, they are not compatible with the same aftermarket stocks that a normal savage 10 is. Keep in mind that does not make them bad rifles. I own a savage 10PC chambered in .223 and it is a very accurate and fun rifle.
The 700 on the other hand will likely not be as accurate out of the box as the savage. However, that does not make the savage a better gun. The 700 has an almost unlimited aftermarket and modifications can be made to them to make them just as accurate, if not more accurate then the savage. additionally, they can be modified to fit the users exact preferences.

Bottom Line: If your not planning on doing much aftermarket upgrading, then I would go with the savage. However, If you wish to partake in aftermarket modifications, then I would go with the Rem 700.

+1 with kalman on the bolt-lift http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/boltlift.php

I have the sps-tac and sps-varmint.

I really like the performance of the tac, but in hind sight, I would have bumped up to an AAC-SD with a pre threaded bbl and 1:10 twist. I have no regrets as my 1:12 still hits the mark, just wanted a little more versatility in bullet size to work up and eventually will get a can.

Also whomever came up with the X-mark pro trigger should be dragged behind a truck. It just does not feel right compared to the older Remington triggers. I have a Timney on its way and all will be good.

Cant comment on the Savage as I only own one old school one in 222, but if you look at the SH parts and options resale thread, 90% of the stuff is for Rem700 SA. So you really do not have to shop online for accessories, just wait a few days. Mounts, rings, scopes, stocks all at great prices, thank goodness for rifle ADHD. lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've got the Kinetic's research group bolt handle on my 700 and love it. It was 35$. For a couple hundred you can add basically any trigger you want.

You might take a look at the 20" 5R that's out right now. It looks pretty sweet. </div></div>

I will look into both. I know what the 5R is and the premise behind it but does it really add anything in terms of accuracy or bullet performance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you are Greatly overestimating the aftermarket options for a savage 10PC. </div></div>

This could be the case. I wasn't aware of the incompatibility with after market model 10 stocks. If this is the case then I would definately go remington because options are already limited with the model 10. I found several options that I liked but I was definately looking for the model 10 options. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to research this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottom Line: If your not planning on doing much aftermarket upgrading, then I would go with the savage. However, If you wish to partake in aftermarket modifications, then I would go with the Rem 700. </div></div>

It is inevitable that I will upgrade parts over time. I guess the answer is becoming clear.

I looked at the 20" 5R model that you guys were recommending. It looks like it has a nicer stock (I believe it was aluminum bedded) but it has a 11.25" twist. I assume that is because it is threaded to accept a suppressor but I won't be running one for the foreseeable future so that doesn't seem like a good idea. For the extra money that this model costs I could buy the sps tac with the twist rate that everyone recommends and have my choice of aftermarket stocks which seems like the better thing to do.

I still can't find any info on the 10 PC being different than the other model 10s. I did read that there are a couple of different generations of the 10s and you have to measure the distance between the screws on the bottom to make sure that you are getting the correct stock. Any info on how the 10PC is different and unable to use model 10 stocks?