• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me to decide.

Atti_Mac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2010
TX
I am thinking about to buy a Meopta MeoStar R2 2.5-15x56 RD or vortex PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 50mm.
What I am looking for to use max 400 yards , 6" target shooting , and hunting. I had a PST before but the 6-24X50 ..
I held today in the store a Meopta and it amazed me how sharp clear it is.
Do u guys have any experience with this 2? Which would be a better choice? I can't afford to buy a scope over $900 so this is why I was looking this 2.
Definitely looking for a side focus scope!

Last edited:
My bad, I just noticed the Meopta is $1500 ... Any other option than the vortex? :)

I'd look at the Leica ER scopes. Two sizes are available (2.5-10x42 or 3.5-14x42), they have a couple reticle options, and choices for capped hunting turrets or target turrets. The 3.5-14x42 models have side focus, but the 2.5-10x42 is a fixed parallax. For 400 yds, either would work well. They have incredible glass, and make for a nice, compact hunting or target scope. Leica just discontinued these (the non-illuminated models) so price has dropped dramatically down to the ballpark you are looking at -- OpticAuthority is probably the place to check. (I bought the 3.5-14x42 w/ IBS reticle and Target Turret, and love it.)

I think this would be close to the Meopta you looked at, and miles ahead of the PST, glass wise: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeiss_conquest_hd5_5-25x5

The Meopta R1 4-16x44 would be around your max budget, and is also excellent German glass.

For max distances of around 400 yards, and for hunting, you don't really need the tactical type features found on the PST. Your money could be better leveraged with the amazing clarity and light weightness of a German-glassed hunting scope, IMO.

Can't go wrong with Zeiss, Meopta, Swarovski, Leica, Minox, Khales, etc.

For max distances of around 400 yards, and for hunting, you don't really need the tactical type features found on the PST. Your money could be better leveraged with the amazing clarity and light weightness of a German-glassed hunting scope, IMO. Can't go wrong with Zeiss, Meopta, Swarovski, Leica, Minox, Khales, etc.

+1 on this advice. I'd recommend figuring out which features you want and don't want (hold-over reticle vs standard duplex style, capped hunting turrets vs target turrets, scope weight, etc...) and use that to narrow down your choices. Depending on where/how you hunt, if 400 yds is the max distance you want to shoot, you may want to give more thought to the bottom end of the mag range than the top. 10x should pretty much do anything/everything you want to do at distance, but 5x or 6x may not give the field of view you want at the low end. When looking for something similar to you, the Zeiss HD5 3-15x50, Meopta Meostar R1 4-16x44, and Leica ER 3.5-14x42 all made my short list and would do everything I wanted. When it came down to the details, the Zeiss didn't have the reticle I preferred, the Meopta had an adjustable objective rather than side focus (and lacked any kind of hydrophobic coating), and the Leica happened to be a good fit this time around (and was on sale to boot)...

Thank you guys. I am looking towards to the Leica ER 3.5-14x42 after all,because Miopta doesn't have what I want in 30mm...

just looking at the Zeiss, what arte those numbers means? 4-5-6?
Zeiss Conquest HD5 Rifle Scope 3-15x 42mm Side Focus Rapid-Z 600

That's Zeiss' Rapid Z-600 reticle. Those numbers correspond to point of impact yardages for that particular holdover marking IF you've got the scope set up right for your rifle. The Z-600 reticle will allow you to use the reticle for shots out to 600 yds, and the Z-800 reticle will allow shots out to 800 yds. Zeiss has a ballistic calculator that allows you to "optimize" the reticle to your particular rifle and ammo, telling you what magnification range you've got to have the scope set on for those holdovers to match the stated points of impact. I had a Zeiss with one of these reticles, and loved it. It works great AS LONG AS YOU ARE DILIGENT ABOUT SHOOTING AT THE RIGHT MAGNIFICATION when using the holdovers. (Leica's IBS reticle and Meopta's McWhorter function the same way.)

Zeiss Ballistic Calculator

so any of you have an experience with SWFA?
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope ?

i was looking at the swfa 3-15 but ended up going with the weaver 3-15x50 edmr scope. i really like it. there are some used burris xtr scopes around. they have a lot of features and in my opinion very good glass for what they cost used. i think they have better glass than the weaver. i just wanted to try a ffp mil mil scope

Not yet, I will look in to it. I was kinda busy the last few days , I will back to the scope business again :)

I was reading an older post from 2009 -06-13 , Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24X50 Tactical at Liberty Optics, for a Hide supporter had them for $579.00 delivered. Now the same scope is $929!
Well this week I was thinking about to buy a Texas edition Chevy truck , crew cab , and I remember I could buy it in 09' after discounts out of the door for $24K. Now is $32 . And people really think everything is alright with the economy... I just want to buy a nice glass for hunting , and tactical shooting for max 400 yards, with easy reticle to calculate, and side focus . The most important is a nice big clear lens :)

Just 1 more question, I was reading, and looking different optics, and articles, and my budget got lower than i thought. For hunting and easy adjustment , and playing on the range up to 400, what you guys thinking about the :BUSHNELL 2.5-16X42 ELITE 6500 DOA 600 ?
It has 30MM tube, side focus, 600 DOA kinda like the Z600 at Zeiss. And the price is under $650 shipped. How clear is that lens?

Viper pst 2.5x10X32 has everything. Hunt, range, night, all there with crystal clear glass. For less than 1K most amazing glass ever. I bet the 4X16 is just as awesome. Currently have on PWS 308.

I know , I had Viper PST before. But I only have $600 for scope..

-Weaver 3-15x50 30mm Tactical Riflescope MilDot $689
-SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope $699.95
-Bushnell Elite 6500 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-16x 42mm Side Focus Matte Doa 600. variable prices, but I found one for $650 shipped

So which one has the best glass?

For a max distance of 400 yards and a budget of ~$650ish and with the emphasis on glass clarity being a primary concern; you would likely not top this, I reckon: 3-9x36 Z3 Swarovski - Camera Land NY fixed parallax though, no side focus.

If you feel you need more magnification, something like these would also trump a lot of the tactical oriented scopes in the same price range: 3-12x56 Conquest Zeiss - Camera Land NY or 6.5-20x50 Zeiss - Camera Land NY or 3-15x50 ZA5 HD Minox - Camera Land NY

I don't see the need for the extra weight and glass quality compromises that are made for a tactical mil/mil scope in that price range, given the distances you will be shooting and the glass clarity you desire.... IMO. But, you do gain a lot of versatility by going to a FFP tactical scope like the excellent SS 3-15x, and you'd be set if you ever plan on going past 400y someday. It's all about compromises to the particular price point, the SS is a great balance (as is the Weaver).

Of the 3 scopes you listed, I'd gravitate towards the SWFA 3-15x42; the others are also solid scopes (though the Bushy isn't mil/mil and is SFP), but the SS has the most travel and I prefer the mil quad reticle. Very nice glass too, just not quite as good as a Swaro or Zeiss, but plenty useable.

Last edited:
Oh crap, I was 100 % confident the Bushnell is a FFP scope...

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger yesterday night and I bought the Bushy, so the first thing was this morning I cancelled the order. Thanx Crosshair to point it out it is an SFP lens. I definitely wanted a FFP lens!

Looking into a Minox with BDC 600 reticle looks like the Bushy's , also it is has side focus, and FFP, and 30mm , any place to get it cheaper ?
Also I am really interested in the 3-12 X56 Zeiss as well . It is just too many, option , would be nice to see next to each other

I pulled the trigger yesterday night and I bought the Bushy, so the first thing was this morning I cancelled the order. Thanx Crosshair to point it out it is an SFP lens. I definitely wanted a FFP lens!

Looking into a Minox with BDC 600 reticle looks like the Bushy's , also it is has side focus, and FFP, and 30mm , any place to get it cheaper ?
Also I am really interested in the 3-12 X56 Zeiss as well . It is just too many, option , would be nice to see next to each other

I think you are going to have to make a decision on glass vs FFP vs price, as I don't think you are going to get all 3 if you are in that $600-$700 range. I believe both the Zeiss and Swaro are SFP, so if FFP is a deal breaker then you can probably cross both those off your list. What's your aversion to the SWFA SS 3-15x42??? (Good glass, FFP, and great reticle...) If you can go up in price, you can get great glass AND ffp with a Meopta R1 3-12x56 and their McWhorter MV reticle. Compromises, compromises, compromises...

MeoStar R1 3-12x56

I can go up to there. How you focus , i didn't see anything on the side or the front?

I can go up to there. How you focus , i didn't see anything on the side or the front?

No side focus // parallax adjustment on that one (which you'll find to be the case on a lot on scopes that top out in the 10x to 12x neighborhood).

Maverick2, most of the you tube video and scope tests suggesting to use a ffp instead of spf, but example all of the Vortex dead hold btc optics are sfp scopes. So why they don't make ffp, or is that not much worse ?

Yes , i was reading few more article, and what i "learned" to have a 1" tube is not that bad :). I only worried about the SPF instead of FFP.

Bingo! side focus, ffp, price right, and a reticle is a same system . I will try that!

Bingo! side focus, ffp, price right, and a reticle is a same system . I will try that!

Nice find -- that may fit your needs well!

As you look at that reticle though, keep this in mind. Unless that reticle was designed for your cartridge, those holdover lines are not likely to match the ballistics of your rifle/cartridge exactly (ie., depending on what you shoot, for the hashmark associated with 400 yds your actual point of impact may be 367 yds, for the hashmark associated with 500 yds your actual point of impact may be 443 yds, etc...) With the reticle in the FFP, the holdover hashes from top to bottom are always going to be at 1.49 MOA, 4.31 MOA, 7.18 MOA, 10.56 MOA, and 14.42 MOA. There is no way to "calibrate" that reticle to your particular ballistic curve like you can with a SFP scope by changing the magnification ring of your scope. It's not a problem, but you'll need to note that instead of point of impacts of 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600, those same holdover hashes for you may correspond to 192, 285, 367, 443, and 518 yds, respectively.

Well said, Maverick2.

Being FFP there isn't a way to fine tune the hash marks to your preferred yardages by using magnification.

You can, however tweek it a fair amount by playing with zero distances. A good ballistic calculator will show how the hash mark yardages change when looking at 100y, 150y, 200y, 250y, and 300y zero distances. With a flat shooting cartridge, the zero distance isn't real important for hunting large game. It is nice to have bdc hashes set at somewhat logical distances, for simplicity's sake.

BDC's certainly aren't precision reticles, but for fast shots at varying distances at large targets (big game vitals) they are very fast.

This is funny Maveric, you just mentioned that, because I called Vortex today , and I went to th Gander Mountain to see other scopes, and they told me an exact same thing. They said most of the scope is made for 223 and because the bullet drop of the different ammo , and caliber a 100-200-300-etc range will be not quiet accurate..
So now , I am kinda back of that reticle, really don't know what to do. When I had a PST vortex scope, it was bothering me when I zoomed in the reticle basically covered the small target, so I will use the Strelok app for bullet drop calculation, and still didn't make a decision. So after i talked with Vortex, I don't really worry about ffp or sfp if I will buy their Dead - Hold BDC. If I just go and get a clearest lens like you guys mentioned earlier, I will buy the best I can get under $700. SWFA , or Vortex Viper HS LR FFP scopes with XLR reticle, or Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 MC.
So finish my pain, and this post :) What do you think which one I should get?

This is funny Maveric, you just mentioned that, because I called Vortex today , and I went to th Gander Mountain to see other scopes, and they told me an exact same thing. They said most of the scope is made for 223 and because the bullet drop of the different ammo , and caliber a 100-200-300-etc range will be not quiet accurate..
So now , I am kinda back of that reticle, really don't know what to do. When I had a PST vortex scope, it was bothering me when I zoomed in the reticle basically covered the small target, so I will use the Strelok app for bullet drop calculation, and still didn't make a decision. So after i talked with Vortex, I don't really worry about ffp or sfp if I will buy their Dead - Hold BDC. If I just go and get a clearest lens like you guys mentioned earlier, I will buy the best I can get under $700. SWFA , or Vortex Viper HS LR FFP scopes with XLR reticle, or Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 MC.

I'd look at the Leica ER scopes. Two sizes are available (2.5-10x42 or 3.5-14x42), they have a couple reticle options, and choices for capped hunting turrets or target turrets. The 3.5-14x42 models have side focus, but the 2.5-10x42 is a fixed parallax. For 400 yds, either would work well. They have incredible glass, and make for a nice, compact hunting or target scope. Leica just discontinued these (the non-illuminated models) so price has dropped dramatically down to the ballpark you are looking at -- OpticAuthority is probably the place to check. (I bought the 3.5-14x42 w/ IBS reticle and Target Turret, and love it.)

It's tough to beat Leica under $1000.
Depending on what you are hunting...you may want a lower magnification option. 2.5-10 seems like a great fit, plenty enough for 400yds.

SWFA HD models are great for the money. I have the 5-20 and love it even when compared to my 2-10x42 Nightforce. It holds it's own very well. I like them both about equally for one reason or another.

If it were going on my rifle and I had to stay below $800, I'd opt for the Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 with Rapid Z reticle (demo from CameraLand for $799) if going with a SFP scope, or the SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical ($699) if the FFP is important. Both give you the option of shooting off the reticle or twisting your turret for elevation, both have the side focus you want, and both are a great value. You can't go wrong with either -- flip a coin (heads for FFP and tails for SFP), pull the trigger, and don't look back.

Thank you all for all the help! I bought a SWFA 3-15. The coin trick was working :)
Also I had some extra money, ( and a great deal) and I bought for myself a gadget scope, a Burris Eliminator 4-12X44 what will fit all I wanted, and I will use the SWFA on my 300 blk sbr with suppressor ;)
Thank You again!