• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me to finish my kit

richie3888

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2022
California
I’m piecing my kit individually and need recommendations on a few more items.

i need recommendations on

A scale
funnel,
case lube,
reloading book/ Manual
Something to clean brass that won’t break the bank

Last edited:

A scale
funnel,
case lube,
reloading book/ Manuel
This works better if you tell us a budget and what you already have. I didn’t see dies, press, primer system, case prep, media listed so I’ll infer those have been sourced.

If it’s less than $4,000 you are wasting our time

I've been hand loading since 1976 ... I came across the book and upped my handloading results tenfold,Hand loading for Competition by Glen Zediker ,A few years ago . IMO it is a must have for new hand loaders .....it explains the process ,the whys and breaks down needed equipment to put together ammo that will shoot small , if one and their equipment are capable.

My advice ...get a copy of any reloading manual that describes the process ,for a basic understanding along with Mr. Zediker book......read them.BEFORE making any purchases or list of purchases to be made....spend your money wisely. Buy once ,cry once .An example.... How much ammo and how fast to do the task of case trimming do you anticipate will determine whether a power trimmer is needed vs a hand crank (L E Wilson is the one you want ,even if you don't know it yet )
My finger is tired....adios.....happy decision making

Reactions: diverdon
I've been hand loading since 1976 ... I came across the book and upped my handloading results tenfold,Hand loading for Competition by Glen Zediker ,A few years ago . IMO it is a must have for new hand loaders .....it explains the process ,the whys and breaks down needed equipment to put together ammo that will shoot small , if one and their equipment are capable.

My advice ...get a copy of any reloading manual that describes the process ,for a basic understanding along with Mr. Zediker book......read them.BEFORE making any purchases or list of purchases to be made....spend your money wisely. Buy once ,cry once .An example.... How much ammo and how fast to do the task of case trimming do you anticipate will determine whether a power trimmer is needed vs a hand crank (L E Wilson is the one you want ,even if you don't know it yet )
My finger is tired....adios.....happy decision making
Lol thanks now I need that L E trimmer

Reactions: diverdon
A scale - RCBS Lite has worked well for me but I am waiting on a V4
funnel, - Area 419 and two 3 inch drop tubes. I love the thing
case lube, Imperial or make the Lanolin and Alcohol lube
reloading book/ Manuel Lyman, Hornady, Sierra good books for me. ABCs of reloading I hear is helpful. The online resources provided by Powder and bullet makers are also good.
Something to clean brass that won’t break the bank - 20/40 Grit or purchase local at Graingers if you have one and pickup a vibratory case cleaner. Frankford, RCBS, Hornady, etc. Also buy a media separator

Reactions: Darkside-Six
A scale - RCBS Lite has worked well for me but I am waiting on a V4
funnel, - Area 419 and two 3 inch drop tubes. I love the thing
case lube, Imperial or make the Lanolin and Alcohol lube
reloading book/ Manuel Lyman, Hornady, Sierra good books for me. ABCs of reloading I hear is helpful. The online resources provided by Powder and bullet makers are also good.
Something to clean brass that won’t break the bank - 20/40 Grit or purchase local at Graingers if you have one and pickup a vibratory case cleaner. Frankford, RCBS, Hornady, etc. Also buy a media separator
Thank you

Knowing your budget and your taste in tools would help. But here goes:

Scale ----- Can go from mild to wild. I use a RCBS Chargemaster with a beam scale to keep it honest
Funnel---The cheap plastic one from RCBS wiped off with a dryer sheet works fine. Or you
can spent $100+ on a custom set.

Case lube---They all work. The Lanolin/Alcohol mix is fast and easy.

Books---I like the Lyman as a base and one from either Berger, Sierra, Hornady or Nosler ect. Glen Zediker's book that was mentioned is a good one.

Tumbler---You need to decide if you want to wet tumble or dry tumble. Dillon and Thumblers both make nice vibratory units. Tumblers and Rebel both make nice rotary tumblers. Less expensive units would Frankfort Arsenal or Berrys.

A scale
funnel,
case lube,
reloading book/ Manuel

Good reasonably priced equipment you want:

press - RCBS rockchucker
scale - RCBS lite (get the area 419 cup)
funnel - MKM machining or area419
case lube - Hornady spray
reloading book/ Manuel - Youtube is much more powerful than these resources in my experience
Brass cleaning - Hornady ultrasonic with Hornady cleaner
Dies - Redding (spend the money and get good ones)
Lock Ring - Buy the Hornady ones with flats on the sides they are worth every penny
primer - Frankfort arsenal hand primer

Personally, I would not use someone else's list to make my reloading kit. What works for them may not work at all for you.
I can't stand hand priming tools, but a lot of people use them with great success. For me, it's a carpal tunnel thing.
Troll the PX, FB marketplace, local auctions, etc. A good used press should be easy to find. Buy quality dies and a good scale.
If Manuel works for cheap, I'll need to see if he's available :).
Seriously though, I would not use anything other than manufacture's published data for you load data until you get your feet under you. YouTube and forums have great info, but a lot of them are pushing the limits on their loads. I use Hodgdon's website for a lot of the stuff I do