• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me understand scopes please

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I plan to buy a nice used GAP or Surgeon Rifle in June and likely a USO scope (Used also) to go with it. Now all I know about a scope is you look through it, line the target up in the middle of the cross hairs and squeeze. I want to understand what I should look for in a scope that will go on a paper shooter stick. I was looking at the SN-3 for the adjustable powers. When I read a post that lists all the features the scope has I have no idea what they are talking about. I like the big top knob because it seems like it would be easier to see or adjust.

Anyone have some links that explain what the parts of the scope do?
I don't know enough to know what to ask.

I hope to learn something so when the time comes and a good deal comes up I can buy without worry I am getting something totally useless to me that costs $1500 to almost $3,000.

Re: Help me understand scopes please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
A good starting point would be to read all of the threads in this section especially the posts that debate pros a cons of certain scope featues. Following that advise at least you will be able to ask more specific questions.

Opiy, http://www.scssa.org/. There are matches with qualified range officers most every weekend here.

Show up, spectate and ask questions.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged. Everybody has to be new sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buttered popcorn...... </div></div>

LOL so random.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opiy, http://www.scssa.org/. There are matches with qualified range officers most every weekend here.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged. Everybody has to be new sometime. </div></div>

Man I wish I still lived in the Birmingham area. Hoover is like 4hrs from Mobile. Maybe I can find something around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opiy, http://www.scssa.org/. There are matches with qualified range officers most every weekend here.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged. Everybody has to be new sometime. </div></div>

Man I wish I still lived in the Birmingham area. Hoover is like 4hrs from Mobile. Maybe I can find something around here. </div></div>

This will be your best bet. Good luck finding a local club. I think the NRA has a range locator on their site.

Opiy,

One of the things you may want to consider is that when your talking about optics in that quality (and price) range is that those scopes are a couple of things:

1. Extremely precise instruments that are not just for targeting, but calculating range and allowing corrections/adjustments that are very precise...and like most users of precision equipment in all professions, they can be very picky and individualized. Example: I really like shooting with a Horus reticle, and so I'm willing to pay the extra $$$$ to have it in a USO (and I just dropped $2900 for a used S&B PMII that has a Horus H-25 in it). Yes, there's a lot of people who think that the Horus reticle is "too busy" and that I'm screwed in the head for liking it, which is FINE, since I know it works for me.

2. Those optics are WAY overbuilt for a "dedicated paper destroyer". They are built to take a huge amount of punishment while holding zero and having their adjustments stay accurate through YEARS of knob clicking. Are they worth every penny, yes...but they will not be much more superior for your listed use than many other lower priced scopes.

We all have been new at things throughout our lives, which is, and should be exciting. When your new at something is usually when you get to make the fastest progress in skill in a short time.

I would never encourage someone to not drop the $$ to buy quality, and if you have the funds to pick up a GAP or Surgeon as a newer shooter, I'm jealous. There's no way you'd ever actually be sorry that you got either one. And at the very least, there's NO excuse at that point...it's DEFINITELY NOT THE RIFLE! (and I should point out that if I actually heard someone at the range blame inaccuracy on a GAP or Surgeon rifle, I would feel that it was my duty to shoot them)

My personal opinion (and everyone has one...) on your scope question is to read as much as you can from the resources here and some of the links the guys have given you, and I would HIGHLY suggest that you will probably be happier going ahead and buying a good quality base-level tactical scope with tactical knobs (falcon, super sniper, or Burris XTR, Leupold Mk2) and an ASSLOAD (I believe that's the medical term) of ammunition and then actually go out with more experienced shooters and SHOOT (in contrast with most other internet forums...people here actually shoot...not "read about shooting"...but shoot). At your early stage of getting into shooting (and hey, WE WELCOME YOU), those scopes will be able to perform all the basics for you just as well as the high-end stuff. THEN, when you're ready to say, "I want an EREK, 1/2 MOA windage knobs, and an MOA scale type I reticle" because I know I need this, this, and this capability from my scope, it will be time for you to pick out your scope.

Ultimately, it's your choice. But it would suck to drop all that money, then go spend a bunch of time actually shooting and then realizing "damn, I really wish I'd gotten_______, instead" But if all of us hadn't done that at least a time or two, it would be a pretty empty "for sale" section
wink.gif

This is not an answer to your question, but I think you are going over the top for a new shooter. There is a lot to be learned, and it won't be easier just because you got a 3K optic. I would start with something more reasonable like a Leup Mark 4, learn to use it well, find out your likes and dislikes, then upgrade. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to buy a nice used GAP or Surgeon Rifle in June and likely a USO scope (Used also) to go with it. Now all I know about a scope is you look through it, line the target up in the middle of the cross hairs and squeeze. I want to understand what I should look for in a scope that will go on a paper shooter stick. I was looking at the SN-3 for the adjustable powers. When I read a post that lists all the features the scope has I have no idea what they are talking about. I like the big top knob because it seems like it would be easier to see or adjust.

Anyone have some links that explain what the parts of the scope do?

I hope to learn something so when the time comes and a good deal comes up I can buy without worry I am getting something totally useless to me that costs $1500 to almost $3,000. </div></div>

After buying a nice variable power scope and shooting 600 yards and winning an F-class match despite being a newer shooter, I am convinced that a new shooter can learn a lot with a fixed 10x scope, to the point that I will say that a new shooter can do quite well with a fixed 10x scope, far beyond what I thought before I got into this sport.

Buy a rifle, handload for it, and get yourself a scope that allows you to see the paper. What matters is GOOD practice, not just blasting, and a willingness to listen to those who will offer this knowledge free of charge if you're willing to listen.

FWIW -

Want to hit it out of the ball park and impress your friends? Buy a used Nightforce 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 scope. If you're just punching paper, don't spend extra for Front Focal Plane or zero stops.

What ever caliber you decide on (either .308 or .308 or maybe even .308), buy or hand load lots of ammo. <span style="font-weight: bold">Spent time at the range over "tactiCOOL" gizmos.</span> If you are just learning to shoot, actual trigger time on the range is much more important than buying you're "perfect" first rifle.

If you are really new to shooting, save yourself a lot of time and money. Buy a Remington LTR and put a Super Sniper scope on it. Spend the rest of your time and money pulling the trigger.

I have never met a "new" shooter that could outshoot a Remington LTR or PSS. Not even close. Not for a LONG time.

When you have practiced for a long time and do get significantly better, designate your LTR as a "just in case rifle". Then step up to a GAP or Surgeon.

Starting out with a Remington LTR and a Super Sniper will save you thousands of dollars and give you every bit of excellent training that you need.

That's my experience in shooting. I wish you the best.

Good shooting!

Hey at least he is honest.instead of just spouting of a load of horseshit and making himseif look dumber than a shit sandwhich.
+1 opiy.
Just keep reading and pay attention to what people have to say here.There is a wealth of info here from a lot of experianced people

1) Let me congratulate you on an excellent choice in both firearm and optic. What you are buying is what most people get as a 2nd or 3rd rifle after they have got some trigger time in and figured out their likes and dislikes. It is something that you should be happy with no matter how much you grow in this sport.

2) A scope is something used for much more then aiming your rifle and when you get into long range shooting then just lining up the cross hairs is no long adequate. You have to understand some basic ballistics to get the full geest of what I am about to tell you but all the exposed knobs you are talking about (we call them turrets) are used very frequently when shooting at distance. This is because as the bullet goes down range it drops and you have to compensate for that drop. Also the reticle in a scope is used for more then just aiming. All these fancy reticles you see are used for hold-overs and ranging. Thus people pay for the reticles of their liking. This is an over simplified explanation of what you asked but it will give you a basic idea.

3) My suggestion is to get some trigger time and shoot as many different rigs as you can. We can tell you about things all day, but until you actually sit down behind a rifle and get some trigger time you want fully grasp what we are telling you. Also if you can get the rifle you mentioned without the scope it would be doing yourself a favor. As was mentioned earlier it takes a while to figure you your likes and dislikes, thus getting an entry level scope like a Mk4 or Falcon would do you more justice then buying a high end scope right off the bat.

+1 Longshot38. If you want to get a USO, know exactly what you want to get before you order (or in your case, buy from the for sale section). There are so many options with a USO that if you're going to spend that kind of money, be sure that you've researched every option and know what will best suit you, such as moa/mil scale reticles and knobs, types of knobs (I guess in a way I'm a noob because I still say knobs) illumination or not, power range, (or fixed) side focus vs. ergo,tube diameter, and objective size. I'm sure you can find previous postings that cover all of these different options individually that can help you make your choices. In fact, just to get you started:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93867&Number=1029741#top

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=88384&Number=967944#top
(EREK is the big top knob you were talking about)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=88385&Number=966615#top
(T-Pal being side focus, ergo is an objective focus)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=85146&Number=931090#top

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...9558#Post929558

Just some light reading
grin.gif

As much as I want a GAP or Surgeon I will likely go ahead and go with the Remington 700 SPS in .243. I have until June to make up my mind.

I will read those links as soon as I can.

I have actually learned a good bit so far from the little bit of reading and looking at pictures that I have done. I think I may end up with some cheaper guns and buy more reloading equipment so I can put in the trigger time. Now to find a good range near by.