• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me wire this pump motor. Solved, 220 3ph

Makinchips208

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2021
Idaho
Electrician and resident pit comedians please help.
This is a water pump for an old lathe, high quality Chinese stuff from the 90s.
I gather it is 220 volts, 60 hertz?
I have single phase, three phase, as well as 480 three phase. I just need some help what this needs.
47.2 ohm between any two of the wires of the motor.
I have switched jumpers around before to change for different voltage, but there is always diagrams and tags in English.
I’ll post pics of the motor tag and the connection block inside the motor.
Can we make this work? Any more questions just ask.
Thanks!

FE6A6C7B-F9CF-4D88-A22F-36293968F0FD.jpeg
EF39EDA4-C89F-4BC0-882C-A934A6F3B1A6.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Looks to be 3 phase. You can power it from 240 single phase but need a VFD (variable frequency drive) in order to "fake" a third leg.

Very similar to the Riverflow pump that we have connected for a few jobs, including one that had a lazy river running around it.

You can find full manuals at Riverflow by Current Systems.

Here is the basic diagram I am referring to.

1692656510519.png

YMMV. But when I saw the pic, this popped up in my memory. If you have actual 3 phase power, then just check amperage requirements to make sure you have proper overcurrent protection.

Again, this diagram may not be exactly what you need but it is close.

It says "Help me, I am trapped in a Chinese Differential Motor Factory."

You could try calling the factory... It's Wing&Wong Differential Motor Factory. The problem is that in ChiComland there are so many Wings and Wongs that every time you try and Wing a Wong you Wing the Wong number...

Sirhr

Connect it to your 230VAC 3 phase power source. If it runs backwards, you can swap any two of the three wires and it will reverse the direction.

You should have fuses or a motor overload protector in the circuit in case the motor jams, or has an overload condition.

The motor has the letters U V W on the terminal block which indicates that it is 3-phase. Since you have 3-phase available, hook the motor up to that via a 3-phase starter box which you can get for about $100.

You can also use a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) drive to run it with 220 single phase. The VFD will create the 3-phase rotating field. Wire it up as shown in Ronws' post #4.

PS: Just saw MarshallDodge's post. The overload protection he mentioned is in the starter box I mentioned.

Last edited:
Connect it to your 230VAC 3 phase power source. If it runs backwards, you can swap any two of the three wires and it will reverse the direction.

You should have fuses or a motor overload protector in the circuit in case the motor jams, or has an overload condition.
We called those motor starters and the protection are these "heaters" that trip open when they get too hot from too much current flowing through (either overload or short.)

Reactions: Charlie112
The motor has the letters U V W on the terminal block which indicates that it is 3-phase. Since you have 3-phase available, hook the motor up to that via a 3-phase starter box which you can get for about $100.

You can also use a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) drive to run it with 220 single phase. The VFD will create the 3-phase rotating field. Wire it up as shown in Ronws' post #4.

PS: Just saw MarshallDodge's post. The overload protection he mentioned is in the starter box I mentioned.
Exactly. That is why it reminded me of the riverflow lazy river pump that uses a VFD to power it from a 240 volt single phase system, such as a residence in USA.

We called those motor starters and the protection are these "heaters" that trip open when they get too hot from too much current flowing through (either overload or short.)
Technically, a motor starter has a contactor or a manual on/off switch with an overload built in. You can have one without the other.

You could try calling the factory... It's Wing&Wong Differential Motor Factory. The problem is that in ChiComland there are so many Wings and Wongs that every time you try and Wing a Wong you Wing the Wong number...

Sirhr

Hello dad, is that you?

It would appear it is set up for 220v 3phase. At .7 A that must be a pretty small motor
If you aren't sure about if it will work find a small 3 fuse block and use some 2 or 3 amp fuses. It should protect the motor if the wiring is wrong. Just a guess UVW2 is your power connection, but the shorting bars make that work either way if you have 3 phase. if not the VFD is the way to go.

Just fucking connect the goddamn wires and stand way the fuck back. Might be awesome, or boring as hell.

Just record it on your phone and post the video. I'll buy you a new one if it explodes. If it just fizzles I'll send you 2 bucks.

Technically, a motor starter has a contactor or a manual on/off switch with an overload built in. You can have one without the other.
You are correct. And I have installed motor starters, as we call them, mostly in commercial work. We don't always call out the technical details. Or even call things by the correct name. Everyone I have worked with calls groove joint pliers Channel Locs, which is a brand name. We call split bolt connectors kearnies, based on the old brand name Kearney.

I knew a guy who called a level a whiskey stick, kind of misnomer based on the use of denatured alcohol.

We call inspectors assholes. That should be a self-evident explanation. Or, as I like to say, those who cannot, inspect.

Thankyouverymuch.

1692704340431.jpeg

Dang it, you made me make an account to warn you not to hook 3ph up to this motor. I have ran into this on a motor in past tech forums. There can be several different ways to hook this motor up depending on what voltage is available, depending on what switch you are using, etc. I am assuming since this is a jet pump it is a secondary support motor to the main rotory motor that turns the lathe. Which means it will either have a switch in the configuration that is manual or turns on automatically at a certain point the lathing process or some other thermal/timer sensor. Most likely it will get it's power from that switch, either 120 or 240 single phase. Are you re-purposing this motor for another application or using it for the lathe? A couple of those terminals are going to be for your run/start capacitors which could be internal to the motor or you have them to the side of the picture that I can't see. I will try to find the forums for you, I think they had a couple of diagrams.
Too late, we have already given this pump his last meal and he is slated for execution. 😂
It is a small water pump being repurposed just to move a trickle of water, have a little giant in case this fails, I’m just have to try this though.
there is no capacitor but it may have not followed along with the motor if there ever was one. ? Maybe it was located externally.
Here is a pic of the wires going to the windings. Only 3 of them, and two are in the same ‘sleeve’ thing.
In the second pic is the remaining stubs of wires as I received this,

C9E21940-8FFF-4B32-8C0C-43CC44041963.jpeg

C53A5174-2B15-4864-A27A-5342C9B1228F.jpeg

Reactions: Shock Holiday
I also came across some older diagrams that use the z2/w2 - u2 - v2 and u1 - v1- z1/w1
terminal labeling to connect the windings to single phase line, a run capacitor and a start capacitor.
I amend my earlier recommendation and suggest that you try single phase with the two capacitors first.

Last edited:

Sirhr
Don’t worry about the transration, just Googre “Chinese Wongs” (turn off safe search first), thank me later.

Reactions: The D
Solved, 220 3 phase is the answer.

Thanks for the help hidesters!

So I tried 220 single phase, didn’t have any capacitors so just hooked it up and plugged it in. Boring, just buzzed a little bit didn’t move. Jumped a couple combos of wires and always the same thing.

So 220 3 phase is next up, whrrrrrrrr, the motor spun backwards. Swapped two legs and she works just like Wong designed it.
Unfortunately it didn’t go 💥. I was kinda hoping…
Maybe 480 will help me pump more water faster? 😂

Solved, 220 3 phase is the answer.

Thanks for the help hidesters!

So I tried 220 single phase, didn’t have any capacitors so just hooked it up and plugged it in. Boring, just buzzed a little bit didn’t move. Jumped a couple combos of wires and always the same thing.

So 220 3 phase is next up, whrrrrrrrr, the motor spun backwards. Swapped two legs and she works just like Wong designed it.
Unfortunately it didn’t go 💥. I was kinda hoping…
Maybe 480 will help me pump more water faster? 😂
Cool. Simplest solution if you already have 3 phase.

You need capacitors if you want to hook it up to 220 single phase.
Either this way:
yNUQ7.jpg

Or with an additional starting capacitor.
34794-5d715bae0d4ba9a96ed19b6004344cdb.jpg

The switch between V1 and V2 is for starting.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Op, don’t waste your precious time with all these schematics and professional advice, pffft. I’ll be over in a half hour, we’ll get you ready and running in another 15. Easy peasy

1692748123096.gif