• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me with 300 Norma Magnum

DaveySimon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2021
Western Washington State
Hey all. New to the forum and pretty new to precision shooting. I have been shooting a Savage 10 with MTD chassis chambered in 6.5 CM and I have shot it out to 1200 yards at Rock Lake, near Spokane. I have been reloading my own 6.5 CM rounds and I have had great success with 130 and 140 grain bullets.

I picked up my "last rifle" in May an AXMC chambered in 300 Norma Magnum. I have never shot a rifle like this or reloaded a magnum caliber before. I plan on shooting this rifle at Rock Lake and trying to hit the metal plates out at 1700 yards or greater if possible.

My big question for everyone here is what grain projectiles to use with this caliber. I have only been able to source Retumbo powder. I have some 180 grain Sierra Match projectiles but they seem too light for anything other than getting used to the new rifle.

What grain projectiles would the hive mind recommend for the AXMC out past 1500 yards? Considering how difficult powder is to get please try and consider data for Retumbo. Is there a sweet spot like I have been able to find with the 6.5 CM in about 130-140 grain?

Thank you for your time!

Reactions: EarlSwagger66
200 to 250 if you have the right twist, 200-230’s are probably optimal.
Retumbo is a excellent option for 300NM.
1700 is easy peasy for a set up 300NM
Tons of data here.

Hey all. New to the forum and pretty new to precision shooting. I have been shooting a Savage 10 with MTD chassis chambered in 6.5 CM and I have shot it out to 1200 yards at Rock Lake, near Spokane. I have been reloading my own 6.5 CM rounds and I have had great success with 130 and 140 grain bullets.

I picked up my "last rifle" in May an AXMC chambered in 300 Norma Magnum. I have never shot a rifle like this or reloaded a magnum caliber before. I plan on shooting this rifle at Rock Lake and trying to hit the metal plates out at 1700 yards or greater if possible.

My big question for everyone here is what grain projectiles to use with this caliber. I have only been able to source Retumbo powder. I have some 180 grain Sierra Match projectiles but they seem too light for anything other than getting used to the new rifle.

What grain projectiles would the hive mind recommend for the AXMC out past 1500 yards? Considering how difficult powder is to get please try and consider data for Retumbo. Is there a sweet spot like I have been able to find with the 6.5 CM in about 130-140 grain?

Thank you for your time!
Appreciate your question, I’m shooting .300 PRC from an AXMC. I’ve shot custom loads and now I’m working on reloading my own.

I would narrow even further to 215-250, if not 230-250. I shoot 230s out to almost 2k and I'd definitely would trust them out further. Enjoy the norma man, it's for sure my favorite.

I’d agree with the above statement, you should look for heavier pills, definitely 200gr+ to maximize this awesome cartridge. The heavier bullets will maintain supersonic speed longer. I’m shooting Berger 215’s at 3215fps from a 32” barrel with 88.0 gr of N570 out of my desert tech srs a-1. It’s an absolute monster at distance. Supersonic well past a mile.

Hi all. Thanks for your help. I’d like to share some data and what I have learned:

Location 200’ elevation

Rifle: AXMC 1:10 26” barrel

I bought some factory ammo Federal with 215 Bergers. Runs really well at 3000 FPS.

E06A9FFE-23D4-411B-A6DA-79001594BF38.jpeg

Conditions were 60deg F, 70% humidity 30.10 pressure

Today I ran a ladder test of Retumbo with 220 grain SMK in Lapua

Charged from 81.4 to 87.7 of Retumbo

87733D78-562B-44E2-8F9B-A57C9ED6C9BF.jpeg
Got good results around 86.8 nice node in the low 3000 of 3010 ish

64259C78-E299-4B35-B1B8-5EB2EC882072.jpeg
Nothing huge for pressure signs primers were not flattened but crater was a bit bigger by the last one. No heavy bolts. Noticeable kick increase last couple shots. I think 86.8 will be the zone for me. Headed to Rock Lake to shoot at distance later this month.

Any questions recommendations etc please post them up.

No the pic of his MS screen of his Federal ammo.
I had a 5-shot group of that same Federal ammo loaded w/the 215 give me an SD of over 50 once in my AXMC. It’s not the most consistent factory ammo out there. Federal uses Norma brass for that load, which I like and developed my own load that shoots in the 8-10 range over 10 rounds on average using that 1x fired brass.

Not sure why Federal’s factory shit is so all over the place but whatevs…