• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me with my first bolt action build (High End)

CascadeReigns

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2023
Oregon
Hi,

I recently got into a gun club where i have access to 200-600 yard ranges and id finally like to get into shooting a bolt action. I've mainly been a AR,AK, and pistol shooter. I just want to have one super nice 308 bolt action rifle. Since I have a SCAR17 I think another 308 would be nice. In terms of action, so far I'm liking the Defiance anti. What other companies should i be looking at for actions? What a good all-around length barrel I should get? i was thinking 18" or 20". In terms of chassis i have a buddy who has a barely used Accuracy International AICS 2.0 he's going to give me for a really good price. Do you guys have any recommendations for a website that does barreled actions built to order? Any other recommendations you guys have? Budget is on the higher side.

Noob question
Once i get a barreled action made all i have to do is drop it into a chassis?

Thanks

Reactions: x0mb13
Aero Precision SOLUS competition M24 308. Will do everything and more at your present capable level and more.

Reactions: Oldloser
Hi,

I recently got into a gun club where i have access to 200-600 yard ranges and id finally like to get into shooting a bolt action. I've mainly been a AR,AK, and pistol shooter. I just want to have one super nice 308 bolt action rifle. Since I have a SCAR17 I think another 308 would be nice. In terms of action, so far I'm liking the Defiance anti. What other companies should i be looking at for actions? What a good all-around length barrel I should get? i was thinking 18" or 20". In terms of chassis i have a buddy who has a barely used Accuracy International AICS 2.0 he's going to give me for a really good price. Do you guys have any recommendations for a website that does barreled actions built to order? Any other recommendations you guys have? Budget is on the higher side.

Noob question
Once i get a barreled action made all i have to do is drop it into a chassis?

Thanks
You will need a trigger and a magazine

200 to 600 for fun? or some type of competition?
What are your plans, once you get used to midrange?

I want it to be a good all-around rifle. It's going to be my only one. For fun bench shooting, Competitions eventually, and hunting. If I want longer distance then that I have to drive 2 or 3 hours but once i get better I'd like to shoot those distances as well. Extreme for first bolt action, but if I'm going to just have one I don't mind splurging on the good stuff even though I don't need it.

If I'm just going to be using it with AICS magazines would BDL be fine? Since i wont be using AW mags no need for DBM cut right? I ask because this site has a black nitride BDL in stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketvapor
I want it to be a good all-around rifle. It's going to be my only one. For fun bench shooting, Competitions eventually, and hunting. If I want longer distance then that I have to drive 2 or 3 hours but once i get better I'd like to shoot those distances as well. Extreme for first bolt action, but if I'm going to just have one I don't mind splurging on the good stuff even though I don't need it.

If I'm just going to be using it with AICS magazines would BDL be fine? Since i wont be using AW mags no need for DBM cut right? I ask because this site has a black nitride BDL in stock.
Can't tell you how many start with "this be my only one" and end up with six full size gun safes stuffed full :ROFLMAO: I like the idea starting with the best (unlike me that justifies an entry level and then upgrades five times). My current toy is the Impact /Bartlein/Manners carbon fiber/Trigger Tech/ Spur/Night Force ATCAR and I absolutely love it!

Proof Research if you want Carbon Fiber, Bartlein if you want steel for the barrel. A triggertech trigger, and whatever action you want.

My recommendation would be to get a longer barrel unless you want a proof research pre-fit. More barrel = free velocity.

Reactions: NewsShooter
My next action will either be an Impact or a Kelbly

But if I starting brand new without any other custom rifle. I would just buy the new MPA offering with their MPA Elite / ARC CDG action.
It's almost a no brainer.
Either the barreled action option
or the full rifle

My next action will either be an Impact or a Kelbly

But if I starting brand new without any other custom rifle. I would just buy the new MPA offering with their MPA Elite / ARC CDG action.
It's almost a no brainer.
Either the barreled action option
or the full rifle

So i pulled the Trigger on a Defiance Classic black nitride action, 22 inch ACE barrel 3B contour (ordered barreled action from JAoutdoors). I Just picked up a NightForce NX8 4-32x F1 MIL XT first focal plane (10% off black Friday deal) and triggertech diamond flat trigger. And ill drop this into an AICS chassis that my friend pretty much gave to me. He doesn't use it at all. Pretty insane first bolt action. Really excited.

Last edited:
I suggest for those closer distances to get a 223 instead but get a faster twist barrel, perhaps a 7.5 twist for the longer bullets with the higher BC's. The trick is to shoot the heavier bullets from 75gr on up to 88gr. 80gr is a sweet spot.
These are a joy to shoot and self spotting is easy.

Or go 6.5 Creed if you don't reload and plan on doing comps later on.

I fully admit I have no love for 308 at all, so there you go.

If you reload there are some awesome cartridges to be had that offer even greater attributes.

I suggest for those closer distances to get a 223 instead but get a faster twist barrel, perhaps a 7.5 twist for the longer bullets with the higher BC's. The trick is to shoot the heavier bullets from 75gr on up to 88gr. 80gr is a sweet spot.
These are a joy to shoot and self spotting is easy.

Or go 6.5 Creed if you don't reload and plan on doing comps later on.

I fully admit I have no love for 308 at all, so there you go.

If you reload there are some awesome cartridges to be had that offer even greater attributes.

I plan on reloading later on. I will probably throw a 6.5 creed barrel on this build when I need a new barrel. I have a bunch of 308 I stocked up over the years because of my SCAR. One of the reasons i went with 308 for now.

Once tax returns hit i may put together another one to be honest. :ROFLMAO: I like your idea for 223

Reactions: steve123
I want it to be a good all-around rifle. It's going to be my only one.

FALex sneezes, with the requisite, “Bullshit“ embedded in it. LOL!!

It's all good, my friend. I remember lying to myself too.

FALex sneezes, with the requisite, “Bullshit“ embedded in it. LOL!!

It's all good, my friend. I remember lying to myself too.
I know lol. I’m Already thinking about other builds. Got the gun bug again. So many good deals right now

We have some Falkor and Bighorn actions on the shelf. Can spin up a barrel on one pretty quick. Steel or carbon.

Feel free to PM us if interested.

You want a tac ops.

IMG_5764.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

I'd also check out the Solus. Best deal going right now, unfortunately just available with the m24 profile at the moment. Could do the action and build out the rest though.

Or just get a 6.5 which is what I'd do. I don't have much interest in shooting 308 after getting into 6 and 6.5 rounds...