• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me with my first rimfire

Donr13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
Gilbert, Az
I want to get a rimfire but To be honest I don't know where to start.

I am looking for a bolt action that I can shoot off a bipod with an optic to 50-150yards. Mostly groups on paper or the occasional plinking steel in the desert. Basically just a .22 that's similar to my a5 .260 I shoot steel with.

What I'm hoping to get here is what models/calibers to start researching.

I know brands like CZ, Anschutz, and Sako are mentioned a bit here but what models should I be looking at?

Also what caliber is ideal for this goal as well, I am only familiar with 22lr and have shot a 17hmr once but don't know much about it's pro's/con's.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Last edited:
Don - whats your budget? There is a wide swing in rimfires.

If it is a trainer; I recommend the .22LR. On the low end a CZ would be a great start and you could build off it to accurize it as you get bit by the "bug."

Once you start talking Annie, 40x, 52, Suhl, etc... the capabilities certainly go up - but so does the price tag.

That's a tough call. I guess I don't really have a limit on spending but only want to spend what is needed to have a fun "trainer" that is very accurate. I am not going to be in any competitions with this.

I can say I am not looking to build a budget rifle. I do want quality but since this is more for fun I don't think going super top end is really needed either.

Maybe a few thousand?

That's a tough call. I guess I don't really have a limit on spending but only want to spend what is needed to have a fun "trainer" that is very accurate. I am not going to be in any competitions with this.

I can say I am not looking to build a budget rifle. I do want quality but since this is more for fun I don't think going super top end is really needed either.

Maybe a few thousand?

How important is it to you that it be a repeater? Any plans (or dreams) of running a suppressor?

How does something like this sound:
opener_rifle-660x335.jpg

In all seriousness, I'll be curious what you end up with as I've got no clue where to start either.

Last edited:
Either an Anschutz MPR or a SAKO (Finnfire/Finnfire II/or Quad). Both are GTG out of the box. You really do get what you pay for and they will hold their value. Good luck

Few thousand there is only one way to go and that's custom! I'd go with a turbo, 10x, or stiller action. For barrel I'd go for a lilja, trigger jewel, stock manners ect. Have a good smith put it all together and you will have a setup that will be superbly accurate!

How important is it to you that it be a repeater? Any plans (or dreams) of running a suppressor?

I run a Spectre II on my p22 so I'd like to use that on the rifle.

I would spend extra to ensure it shoots consistently but like I said I don't need to win any awards or competitions.

If you shoot an A5 on your 260 you may want to look at the CZ 455 PT. It has the manners which is very similar to the A5. If the accuracy don't meet your req. then you can put a Lilja on it at home. The action is not the smoothest but also is not terrible. They really are good for the money.

If you shoot an A5 on your 260 you may want to look at the CZ 455 PT. It has the manners which is very similar to the A5. If the accuracy don't meet your req. then you can put a Lilja on it at home. The action is not the smoothest but also is not terrible. They really are good for the money.

I have looked into this a little. I do like the camo on the manners as well. I can't seem to find it at any of the store online.

Anschutz 64 MPR b if you don't feel the need to upgrade stock. Remington 40x HB if you want to mess with trigger, pic rail, or stock as they all interchange with Remington 700 footprint.

Either an Anschutz MPR or a SAKO (Finnfire/Finnfire II/or Quad). Both are GTG out of the box. You really do get what you pay for and they will hold their value. Good luck

I am digging the Quad after looking into it. I like how barrel swaps are super easy and I can drop it into a manners t4.
I could obviously do the same with the CZ PT.

Still trying to figure out the Anschutz stuff.

I have decided I am not really interested in building a custom. Really just want to start out with a factory gun and add the stock and barrel/ other mods as I go.

Take a look at the Winchester Mod. 52. The 52C is ideal as it has a good quality 3# trigger and is magazine fed. Excellent accuracy, five round mags. from Brownells for about $10.00 and it's hard to lose money on one.

Im a CZ guy. I have a 452 and a 455PT and like them very much. I have about 700.00 invested in the 452 (Yodave trigger, bottom metal, base, rings scope) and my 455PT I would think I have around 15 to 1600 invested in it (YoDave trigger upgrade, base, rings, scope, etc.) and it will generally shoot 1 to 1.5 inch at 100 yards under normal weather conditions. Expect a 455 with bull barrel to shoot 1.5 to 2.5 inches at 100 in a stock offering with good ammo and wider with bulk stuff. The trigger can be upgrade with a YoDave spring and shim kit and got from a gritty 5-7lb trigger to a nice crisp 1.5 to alb trigger. The bolt is gritty right out of the box but settles in over time to be pretty smooth. I got the PT version with the Manners Stock and its pretty wicked. Haven't pillared or bedded it but its pretty tight. Mine is .22 with the stock bull barrel and Lilja offers a better match grade barrel. The most similar rifle mentioned would be the Sako quad which is also a great rifle though more expensive and harder to find. Sako owner swear by their rifles and apparently, since I have never fired one, the bolt angle is better. Like the CZ455 Lilja offers barrel upgrades and I think both Manners and McMillan make nice tactical stocks for it. Anschutz guys are like old school Macintosh owners, they can be somewhat arrogant and haughty when it comes to their rifles, no I think they are more like a High School senior quarterback who got the big scholarship and can't quite get their bloated head to fit on their shoulders. Anschutz is basically the gold standard for .22's and if you look at most 3 position and bench matches Anschutz is most always the winning rifle. Im hesitant to mention Remington 37/40x just because they are not in production anymore as is also the Winchester 52, all are great guns but you will pay a premium unless your lucky. Remington does offer 547 but if your gonna pay that price get a Cooper or Annie IMHO. Anyway thats it in a nut shell....I didn't mention the Savage, Ruger American or the 77/22 but Im sure you can get info on them.

Last edited:
I'd start with a 455VPT and see how you like shooting rimfire. If you really get into it you can decide to lay down the big bucks for a custom.

One of my CZs:

Yo-Dave kit, Zeiss scope, TPS rings, DI Products rail, Sinclair bi-pod.

Trigger is 2.0lbs. At 50 yds, 1/2" groups are the norm. I've had lots of groups in the .25-.35" range with Wolf Match Target

Thanks for all the help guys. As I have looked into the options more I am in between the cz455PT and the sako quad.

I like that I can get an a5 from mcmillan for the quad. I know the manners is close to the a5 as well.
I'll keep looking into the options each has for barrel/ triggers/ bolt knobs.

Look on the Savage Site's firearms/gun finder pages. I'd like to get a MK II TR someday, but right now (and for the past 15yrs), I've had good luck with a simple and basic MK IIF (I bought it used for $120).

Start simple.

Greg

Last edited: