• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me with my new setup.....Please

lh leggtowner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
I have just bought my first heavy barreled .308. A new Remington 700 SPS Lh. Going to put a B&C stock on it. Problem is not really sure of the set up. Not a rich guy so economics is priority. I have narrowed it down to TPS rings with EGW mounts. The scope is what I have in question. I am looking at a Super Sniper scope 10X. Also saw a scope by Hawke that caught my eye. Has anyone out there ever shot the Hawke brand. Have questions of reliability of the Hawke. Also, Is the Super Sniper a good quality optic. My other question is will the EGW mounts mix with the TPS rings? Alot of questions, just need some reliable information on this setup. Help!

Re: Help me with my new setup.....Please

You have started with a solid rifle. The SWFA SS in 10x is a great start. For a few dollars more, you can get the HD version that is much better. Both are fine glass.
On your rings and base, the TPS rings are fine. If they are steel rings, get a steel base from EGW. If your rings are aluminum, then the aluminum base is applicable, but do not mix ring and base material or you may gall one or the other during application.

When you get your scope, work it through it's range of movement(erector knobs) at least twenty times all the way up/down, left/right. Then watch and learn from the Videos at the top of the Optics forum on centering your reticle before mounting, and mounting.
If your base is not an exact match to your receiver and has a little space, use some Devcon or JB Weld to bed it. First fit the screws and insure they do not interfere with bolt movement. Grease them, and the holes in the base, lightly green pad the bottom of the base and the receiver between the screws. Apply a little bedding compound to the bottom of the base, staying at least 3/16" away from the holes, and 1/8" from the edge allowing for it to fill and squeeze out under torque.
Use the torque specs that come with your rings and base. They should be around 15"# to 20"#. A 'Fat Wrench' Inch Pound Torque wrench can be used. Loosen your action screws and torque them to 65"# applying equal pressure at each end back and forth until it's tight. Insure your barrel is truly free floated in it's stock with a bit of thin plastic sheeting(dollar bill, not...)

The Super Sniper scopes have proven their quality over the years and you won't have any issues going with one. The optics are decent, the adjustments are true and accurate and they are dependable scopes. The fixed 10x is also a great scope for a budget, starter-scope at only $300!! (or $400 for the side focus model...).

As for the Hawke scopes...stick with the SS. You'll be glad you did later!

As for scope mounts/rings...there are a TON of good options. TPS make good quality rings and while I have not personally used EGW mounts, I hear nothing but good about them. If I were you, I'd make life simpler and just get one of the mounting kits that SWFA sells in conjunction with the SS scopes. You can get a set of TPS 30mm Medium rings and a TPS 1pc 20MOA rail for $120 and probably come out ahead in terms of buying the EGW rail and TPS rings seperately. I'd ask for the steel versus the aluminum base/rings.

Learning alot so far.....Keep it coming. Definately did not know about mixing the metals on the mounts and rings.

Another quick question for you guys..... If I get the 20MOA mounting base, can I get a true 100 yard zero? Or is this base for shooting distances over a distance that I may not ever shoot? My distances are going to be limited to under 500 yards. But, I would like to have the option if it ever came around. But, the primary distances will be 100-300 yards. Just do not want to make a mistake in this purchase from the get go.

You should be able to get a 100yd zero with your setup running a 20MOA base without any issues.

The SS has PLENTY of internal adjustment that you really don't need the 20MOA base if you don't plan to shoot further than 500yds (actually you could probably go a lot further with the int. adj. range than 500yds depending on your ammo, conditions, etc.). It all comes down to whether to "have it and not need it" or "to eventually need it and not have it." I'd probably go with the 20MOA just in case, but to each their own.

The 20MOA base works fine for a 100M zero. I would recommend a 300M zero if you can, or a 500M zero if you have more distnace. The 'other' zero is done at 100M with the heavy base stadia line at the top so you can use simple dot/break up on the lines or dots as outlined here:

1_5.jpg

The first lesson on using your mil dots:

http://www.excaliburenterprises.com/scopes/mil-dot.html

Okay, SWFA is definately the way to go on all of the things that I need. Chris is the one that I need to talk too? I would really appreciate it for his extension if I need one. Or if not I will ask for him. Awesome information guys. Great help!

Just look for the banner here on this site for SWFA, click on it, then call them. Ask for Chris, or Mr SWFA from snipershide. If he isn't able to take your call the individual that answers should be capable of squaring you away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SWFA SS in 10x is a great start. For a few dollars more, you can get the HD version that is much better. Both are fine glass.</div></div>
I'd call a $500 increase more than a few dollars, but that's just me. Good advice, though.

'For a few Dollars More' is toungue in cheek. Remember, it IS the title of a good western flick with my favorite actor.
grin.gif

If I say it's a LOT more, then you will see the famous,"Eat the raman until you save the extra money". I went for the raman on my first USO and MCmillan stock. PAnty 6 watched me eat it and desiced it was moot to actually make me eat nothing BUT raman for months like I was planning to do to save my grocery money for my gun stuff

I don't know Switchblade, after eating ome of that left over pork you made I can't see you eating too much raman. That stuff was better than most fresh off the grill I have eaten.

Ok guys, update... Got the rifle set up. Ended up going with IOR rings and bases. Man they are nice. Very high quality for the price. Shot my first few groups out of it and 3 of the 5 groups out of the rifle were under .5 inch. First group out of it was .786. Not bad I think for a rookie. Thanks to all of you guys giving me a hand in this decision making process. If I was computer literate I would post pics of the groups.

I would go ahead and get a SWFA SS to start enjoying the rifle, but I would also go ahead and get on the Vortex PST preorder list with Liberty Optics or another carrier. That way you can get High grade optic at a low price and then you can resell the SWFA SS here on the hide and make the majority of your inital investment back. Maybe a decent TAB scope cover from Rifles Only or Redtac gear to just keep the scratches off of it, and dont over torque the rings and you will be good to go.

The Vortex PST list may be long at this point, but still get on it to get the price even if you dont get one of the inital ones. Many members have ordered 3 or 4 of them.