• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help my with optics for midrange AR15

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
I am an absolute rookie with the ar15 platform and I'm getting ready to either build one or buy one within the next few days to few weeks. I've got a bolt gun in 243 and a FNAR both have good glass but, the only short to midrange gun I own is an SKS with irons. I'm needing something a tad more accurate, better parts availability and easier to find ammo and loading equipment, so the AR platform sounds like a good choice.

I don't know what to get for say something out to 300 yards max. Where can I find the info on stuff like acog or red dot or anything other then standard type glass? I took your advice when I bought my last scope from Liberty optics and picked up a nice IOR for the R700. Now I need your advice on optics for this gun.

Re: Help my with optics for midrange AR15

I take that back, a SN4 would be perfect.

The SS 1-4x24 would be a good optic. Havent been behind one but did on a fixed 10x scope from them. Really liked it for the price. The newer product there coming out with appear to be even better than the one I had. The 1-4 is FFP, mil/mil based, and illumination for about $800 bucks.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take that back, a SN4 would be perfect. </div></div>

Yes the SN4 would be nice.. If his budget can afford it.

LOL, my butt hole is already puckering and I haven't even looked for a price yet. U$O, good stuff but a bit spendy.... Let me go look at a price.

Nope thats a bit out of my league

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take that back, a SN4 would be perfect. </div></div>

+1

Hey JF hows it going?

I just cobbled an aimpoint and magnifier combo off the for sale board here. Either a red dot or eotech with mag should get you what you are looking for.

I'm really liking my short range set up.
Aimpoint m4s with mag.

I plink quite a bit, so the zero mag is nice for the closer distances. But if I want to stretch her a bit the magnifier is a good option.

i'm sometimes reminded ....how many times i got my ass handed to me by someone that is good with a set of plane-ole-irons......especially at 3-gun comps that include steel out to 325......absolutely got hosed on many an occasion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope thats a bit out of my league</div></div>

what are you looking to spend?

I don't have a problem with irons per se, but I'm getting up there in age and my eye sight isn't what it used to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey JF hows it going?

</div></div>

Going well. Same old, same old. Shoot, reload, shoot a match and reload. Pretty much working and shooting, loving my USO SN-3. Makes the Nightforce NXS seem like a 10x Mk 4.