• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Help...Need to slightly modify a Mcmilan stock

Xdguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
TX
I have an opportunity to purchase a Mcmilan A4 stock for a very good price. My friend who ordered it never got around to building the rifle out, but when he ordered it, he had the barrel channel cut to fit a pretty heavy barrel. I have a Rem. 700p which has a heavy barrel, but it's narrower than the channel in the stock so there is about an 1/8" gap between the barrell and stock. I realize this won't affect accuracy, but it looks a little silly. My question is, how hard would it be to add material to the stock to fill in that gap. Should I use fiberglass? What's the best way to go about it? I'm buying it at a good enough price that if it's easy enough to do, it would be worth it.

Thanks!

Re: Help...Need to slightly modify a Mcmilan stock

I would wrap a thick layer of tape around the barrel and coat it with some sort of release agent, rough up the stock channel and fill with bondo or some form of body filler.

Put it together and let it cure.

Clean up the mess and hit it with a coat of flat black.

Thanks, I think that's a good plan. Not sure if Bondo would hold up. Since the stock is fiberglass, I assume that would be the best option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would wrap a thick layer of tape around the barrel and coat it with some sort of release agent, rough up the stock channel and fill with bondo or some form of body filler.

Clean up the mess and hit it with a coat of flat black.</div></div>

"Yep" to the above. I just inletted a McMillan HTG that was from an Ed Brown sniper rifle. The Brown action is almost the same as a 700, but a bit beefier and it used a 3-position bolt mounted safety and a side boltstop. Also, the barrel channel was for a Rem varmint. I opened up the barrel channel and carefully did the relieving in the action area.

To seal the stock where I removed material, I used some enamel paint from Lowe's and a small brush. Taped up where I did not want paint and it looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would wrap a thick layer of tape around the barrel and coat it with some sort of release agent, rough up the stock channel and fill with bondo or some form of body filler.

Clean up the mess and hit it with a coat of flat black.</div></div>

"Yep" to the above. I just inletted a McMillan HTG that was from an Ed Brown sniper rifle. The Brown action is almost the same as a 700, but a bit beefier and it used a 3-position bolt mounted safety and a side boltstop. Also, the barrel channel was for a Rem varmint. I opened up the barrel channel and carefully did the relieving in the action area.

To seal the stock where I removed material, I used some enamel paint from Lowe's and a small brush. Taped up where I did not want paint and it looks great. </div></div>

Think I could get away with a body filler like bondo, or should I use fiberglass.

Because you're filling it just for aesthetics and not for any sort of structural reasons, bondo should work ok (as long as you can get it mixed and applied in time). You might have better luck using a slower curing epoxy like Marine Tex or Devcon
If you're going to fill it, use a layer or two of 20 mil pipe wrap tape (2" wide is what I use), coated with release agent (paste wax, etc).
Painter's tape on the exterior of the forend works wonders for cleanup as well.

Personally, I'd leave it. No reasonable amount of forend flex will cause your barrel to contact with that gap, and it's still better looking than having a sporter weight barrel with that barrel channel

No stress in the barrel channel. Hit it with the Bondo. The only people that will know the difference are you and your buddy who is in the garage with you while you do it.

You have a few choices. Either fill it like you are wanting to do. Or leav it as it is, If you re barrel, it is ready to fall right in. 1/8" on both sides, not that bad. Then you don't have to worry about a clean up in isle 4. JMO

Stop. That's way too much work.

Go to the craft store and buy some peel-off adhesive neoprene foam pads called Foamies. Lay them into the channel. This will fill the gap in 2mm (or 3mm) increments.

Greg

If you rebarrel then its just more to dig out later.

I would shoot it as is.

But...If you plan on keeping it that way forever
smile.gif

Then use 5 layers of pasco 10 mil pipe tape with Devcon.
It leaves a nice even free float.
PlywoodStock007.jpg

Xdguy,

Here is what I did with the same situation.

I also had an .125" gap in fitting this barrel profile to this McMillan stock.

First, I prepped the barreled action for full length bedding with Devcon 10110.

bed4.jpg

I put .030 thickness of mil tape over the barrel, and bedded the rifle from tang to forend tip in 1 shot.

bed3.jpg

Here are the results.

bed5.jpg

bed2.jpg

I am going to hit the bedding on the stock line with air cure cerakote to blend.

Bradley Johns
Phoenix Custom Rifles
480-747=0528

Thank you!! That's exactly what I needed. Common sense told me it's doable. I just wasn't sure the best way to about it. Now I know.
smile.gif

I think this is personal preference, if it were me I would just leave it. I made my own stock and left alot of room in the barrel channel, like 1/4". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Nice prep work, Scimitar and azshooter! I believe that 10 minutes of preparation will save you an hour of aggravation.

what did you do to get such a nice finish along the top or the barrel channel? I am wanting to do the same thing.

You can buy die/colored hardener for Bondo and Snow White body putty. Form a pink down to a black, I've used it to make sure I'm getting a flat surface on car panels.

Its available through most auto body source.

You can also get slower or faster hardeners from NAPA.

Cheers.

Dave

Go with the devcon. Makes for a very nice job.

What do you guys figure will be the best way to get rid of all the slop and overflow once the barrel is pressed into the stock and it dries? Or while its wet? Fine sand paper (220)?