• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP needed! Bolt opening problems

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
I have a brand new TRG 22. Yesterday I went to shoot and after app. 40 rounds the bolt started to get stuck closed, i.e. it required considerable effort to lift the handle, after that the bolt slid back effortleslly. I happened only after discharge, without firing the bolt worked fine. I tried to clean the chamber on the sport and it helped.

1) Was an uncleaned chamber the problem? The brass looked fine (Remington 308 Win Premier Match 168 gr Matchking BTHP). I admit I didn't clean the chamber after the first two sessions very well.

2) Any recommendations regarding the ammo? I have seen results from other shooters and the precission looked much better than what I can achieve. Is it good quality ammo?

I am a newbie so all advices will be very appretiated.

Re: HELP needed! Bolt opening problems

Not sure about the cleaning (I do not clean my rifle at all) but I shoot the same ammo and it is pretty good, for factory loads. Never had any extraction problems or issues with the bolt being stuck in the locked position.

But if cleaning the chamber helps, there could be an issue with obturation? Are the cases only "sooted" around the neck? I am no expert on this, saw it happen once and the guy had the same problem opening the bolt and the case was nearly black.

The coat of soot was thin and came off just by rubbing it with my finger. Otherwise the case looked fine.

Is it a problem with the chamber? OMG!!!

Slowly, mate. I am just guessing. The neck will get a bit of powder residue, as it will be fire-formed to the chamber when the pressure widens the cartridge.

Also possible there was dirt in the chamber before and the case got stuck, not necessarily as a result of a gas leak. But if you had the problem after 40 rounds, either the cartridges were dirty or something else build up that layer resulting in your described problem.

I had only 3 sessions with the rifle, but I didn't clean the chamber, so a build-up is possible. I will clean it thoroughly and see what happens.

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Cleaning is not a bad thing, chambers should end up clean and dry.

Factory ammo in a factory rifle should not cause bolt stiffness.

I think it's a good idea to swab out the bolt locking recesses of the receiver once in awhile, and I generally wipe and apply a light coating of grease to the rear surface of my bolt lugs after cleaning.

Handloads can cause bolt stiffness even without being overloads. One thing some folks forget about when handloading is case length. If the case neck is jammed into the front end of the chamber, pressure spikes can result.

Look at the cases that were sticky on extraction. If there are shiny spots or scrapes on the base of the case, and/or a shiny ring up around the case about 1/2" (10-15mm) up from the base, pressure spikes could be an issue.

Greg

OK, dirty chamber is much better than a serious problem with it.

Thank you, Predator and Greg.