• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help needed please

darrindlh

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
So, I was starting to reload my 300 last night, and let me tell you it was an ordeal and very stressfull and I did not get one done. It looks like my decaping unit is bent. If the unit is bent will it not resize correctly? Once I got the caseings decapped I started to seat the bullets and I found out that I could push the bullet through the neck into the case with my hand. I need some help badly!! What am I doing wrong?

Darrin

Re: Help needed please

what dies do you have, it doesnt sound as if the neck has been sized properly

Putting the horse in front of the cart! Get a reloading manual and read it! Or RCBS sells a how to DVD, they also have some instructional info on their site. The Lyman Manual is a good start.

If you have access to someone that already reloads spend a few days with them.

Youtube has lots of video too.

Do not rush into making ammo. It's the fastest way to injure yourself and others.

Maybe if you post your general location there would be someone on the hide close to you.

It also sounds like reading the instructions in your die box would help you!

Slow down and don't be so anxious to load your first rounds! It really is not as easy as primer, powder, bullet, BANG!

From what it sounds like you do not have your die set properly in your press. Read and follow the instructions in you die box.
Typically, for sizing dies you run the ram on the press to full up position. Then screw you die down until it touches the shell holder, then lower the ram and screw it down another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Check the feel of the ram when you do this! You do not want to over cam the press. When your done with that tighten the lock ring on your die.

Next, lube your cases and run them up into the die slowly. When the case is fully into the die count to 5 to let the brass normalize. Extract the case from the die and it should be full length sized assuming that you are using FL dies.

Next check that case versus the case dimensions. Having a LE Wilson case gage will make it easy to confirm this.

Also, Check you case OAL after sizing to make sure your under the max case length. Trim to the trim called out for your specific caliber and deburr the case necks.

Prime your cases. Weigh your charges, charge each case. Visual confirm all your cases have a powder charge prior to seating bullets.

Screw in you seating die. Adjust it to the MFG's instructions.
Before seating your first bullet run the seating stem all the way out. Slowly work the bullet into the first case checking you lengths each time you run it in and out. When you reach your intend cartridge OAL lock down the seating stem and seat the reaming bullets.

The first case you seat. Gently push the bullet against your bench. The bullet should not push back into the case.

Hope it helps!

Please read up! and be safe!

Look at this thread>>>
Realoding Basics 101

If you need furhter help PM me and I will shoot you my phone number and help you over the phone as much as I can.

Terry

Terry thank you very much I really appreciate it. I am in Pocatello ID. I have been using my nosler reloading manuel and folloing the directions as well. I checked the die and it barley touches the press or shell holder when it is all of the way extended. I wonder if a bent decapping unit is some of my problem. It was just so much tuffer than reloading my 243. I did not have these problems with my other rifle. Don't know though.

Darrin

how far was the decapping pin sticking out of the bottom of the die, that would be my first thought as to how you bent the stem

A bent decapping rod would surely deforem the case necks!

Try removing the decaaping rod and sizing!

Terry

At first the decapping pin was barley sticking out of the bottom of the die. I could not get the decapping pin to push the used primer out of the primer pocket. So I lowered It until It popped out the primer. I know that I did something wrong. Are the cases tost or can I still use them?

Darrin

Thank you to everyone that commented on the post. Each one if you have been such a great help. I believe that I found my problem. I pulled the decapping pin out of my die and resized a case. It resized the case correctly and I could not push a bullet through like before. So I am going to get a new decapping unit.

Glad to hear you Good to go now! Leave the decapping rod out of your sizing die and buy "THIS". I do not puch out primers in any of my sizing dies. I even purchased a cheapo LEE hand press to decapp rounds at the range. I them toss them into a 2 liter bottle with water and soap right at the range! Then when I get home I dump them right into the tumbler! This has cut my tumble time way down.

Get the Lee decapper! Its $10 well spent and that way you won't mess up a $50 die!

Terry