• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report help needed with zeroing.

Shooter606

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2008
East Tennessee
ok today me and the boys took a couple new sps .308's to zero at our range. we got my friends sps tactical zeroed in about 5 shots. mine was a little left, we adjusted and got it close but it seemed like most of the day i was left. please realize that im new to LR shooting and mil-dot scopes. ok the info on the rifle remington sps .308 26" bbl, badger 20 moa base, burris xrt low rings, and a SS 10x42m on the top, all day i was shooting Hornady 168 GR A-MAX. im not a huge fan of the stock it feels like i have to really crank my neck to get a good cheek weld (which is what i think the problem is). does it make sense that me not having a solid cheek weld would through me off left all day? when i really felt solid i was on, but i need to hear it from someone else. i shot my friends tact and i was dead on but my cheek weld was solid. i am thinking about getting and eagle type cheek pad ASAP if this will help. please let me know.

Re: help needed with zeroing.

try a mouse pad or carpet duct taped to the stock....adjust to correct eye relief for YOU and see if this lash-up works....my bet it do....then go find the wizz-bang cheek thingie that blows your dress up.............

yeah those stocks are made for little girls I think. I had a real LOP problem until i got a real stock. try rippers deal, and you might get a pus pad or something to make more room for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok today me and the boys took a couple new sps .308's to zero at our range. we got my friends sps tactical zeroed in about 5 shots. mine was a little left, we adjusted and got it close but it seemed like most of the day i was left. please realize that im new to LR shooting and mil-dot scopes. ok the info on the rifle remington sps .308 26" bbl, badger 20 moa base, burris xrt low rings, and a SS 10x42m on the top, all day i was shooting Hornady 168 GR A-MAX. im not a huge fan of the stock it feels like i have to really crank my neck to get a good cheek weld (which is what i think the problem is). does it make sense that me not having a solid cheek weld would through me off left all day? when i really felt solid i was on, but i need to hear it from someone else. i shot my friends tact and i was dead on but my cheek weld was solid. i am thinking about getting and eagle type cheek pad ASAP if this will help. please let me know.</div></div>

Certainly, a good chipmunk cheek, as made possible by a properly adjusted comb, will help you maintain a muscularly relaxed position, and, more importantly, it will help with getting a consistent perspective of aim. Unfortunately, many rifles today, such as yours, do not have stocks appropriate for a scope sight. It makes me wonder-does Remington have anyone in their marketing dept. that actually knows anything about guns, or shooting.

No, but you can play with pad heights using a few Cheek-Ease(sp?) stick-on foam pads from Brownell's.

I make my own using Foamies neoprene foam stick-on sheeting from WallyWorld Crafts/Hobby department. Thinner, but much the same.

Short stocks (mine are all usually too short) can gain length with a Limbsaver slip-on butt pad. Helps with recoil, too. WallyWorld Sporting Goods department...; need I say more...?

Greg