• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help new reloader read preasure signs 7prc

Ryan9536

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2023
Rhode Island
Limited experience reloading .308 for a year or so but found a accurate load way before finding preasure and just stayed with that

I have a tika action with a 7prc 24” proof barrel and want to work up a load
Stared with Hornady 175 eld x loaded .026 off the lands and h1000 powder
I worked my way up to 66.6 grains (67.1 is max in book) and had 2859fps but noticed a ring on the back of the case and clear extractor mark …
(Picture of case with the silver primer)

Also pictured is a Hornady precision hunter 175 ELDX (gold primer) witch was running at 1930fps …..
Can definitely see an extractor mark also but seems like less pressure sign?

So I guess I’m asking a few things
1) would you consider one or both of these over preasured?
2) if the ring on the hand load case indicates higher preasure, how could I be getting lower speeds but yet higher pressure than the factory ammo.

Hope this all makes sense… just looking for some advice and knowledge since I do not know anyone personally to bring this question to.
Thank you.
AB50A606-BA2A-4372-9B1A-FC9A0E216985.jpeg
3048FCCF-1DBC-4188-AB6B-AF4CB4133367.jpeg

The primer looks perfectly normal to me, but I can't account for the other markings, but to ask if Hornady brass in that cartridge, is a bit softer?

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris
And I was wondering the same thing as I have recently read a few things about “soft” Hornady brass but don’t have enough knowledge or experience to confidently say…
I will say I didn’t have any abnormally hard bolt lifts …
Thanks again

Can you post pics of the brass with lower charge weights? Hard to tell what might be pressure and what might just be Hornady being Hornady.

Reactions: Supersubes
Can you post pics of the brass with lower charge weights? Hard to tell what might be pressure and what might just be Hornady being Hornady.
65grain
42F7A6C9-2495-4BCE-9EEA-0136A299575D.jpeg

7A06759E-27D3-484A-BBE6-4BC7E481ECC2.jpeg

66 grains
5B694879-DA59-4053-97DC-88015925D6F1.jpeg

I guess the scoring around the bottom of brass is more prevalent on these lower charges than I noticed on the range but no ejector mark?
Thank you

Hard to say for sure, but it looks like that ring (especially on the last pic) is more of a gouge than something pressure would cause - possibly caused during extraction. Usually, I get a heavy bolt lift before anything else. Also, your primers look fine, and you have no gas marks around them.

EDIT: The first pic looks just as "bad" as the last one.

Did you do any type of primer pocket work such as uniforming?
That ring looks like a tool mark.

As far as pressure signs the things I look for, and this is in no way a scientific approach,
Heavy bolt lift. If I feel it I mark the case with an X on the base with a sharpie.
This way I will pay attention when seating the next primer if it is loose.

Flattened primers. The edge of your primers are still round.
Ejector marks. either a dimple or swipe. Again I don't see it in your brass.

BC85E16C-1284-4136-93B4-D3FC75C48640.jpeg
This is precision hunter ammo right out of the box I noticed it has the slight gouging on it and a lot of them do …… some are worse than others so a lot of this maybe be in the manufacturing processes? And I was nervous of pressure and just assumed that?

The gouging seems slightly worse once I fire but obviously I’m gunna have to pay way better attention to the whole process moving foward.

Here is my bolt face
79D440B6-D9BF-4A39-B2A5-9F3BD3F88E7A.jpeg

Was thinking I could pull the extractor pin and try to clean it up a little as it seems to have a little bit of a high point in center

Hard to say for sure, but it looks like that ring (especially on the last pic) is more of a gouge than something pressure would cause - possibly caused during extraction. Usually, I get a heavy bolt lift before anything else. Also, your primers look fine, and you have no gas marks around them.

EDIT: The first pic looks just as "bad" as the last one.
Yes I agree with all of this and will keep moving up with caution and look for heavy bolt lift while also checking the cases
I appreciate your help

Did you do any type of primer pocket work such as uniforming?
That ring looks like a tool mark.

As far as pressure signs the things I look for, and this is in no way a scientific approach,
Heavy bolt lift. If I feel it I mark the case with an X on the base with a sharpie.
This way I will pay attention when seating the next primer if it is loose.

Flattened primers. The edge of your primers are still round.
Ejector marks. either a dimple or swipe. Again I don't see it in your brass.
Yes I did ream the pockets but held the shell with my hand and used a hand held reamer .

As far as hard bolt lift I never experienced that and I think I’m gunna continue moving up in charge weight till I feel this and will mark with a sharpi. I like that idea

Also agree primers seem fine

Glad you mentioned that you don’t see ejector marks or swipes and as stated I wasn’t sure if that’s what those marks were but I will pay attention to a round dimple mark .

Thank you very much for help

Reactions: Thump_rrr