• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help! On a bulged barrel

KAZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2004
BROWNWOOD, TX
One of my pals bought a Rem 660 in 350 cal that has a bulged barrel about 4" from the muzzle which probably caused someone to have a very bad day. Bolt works as it should, no visible signs of damage except for the barrel. Question:Is this thing safe to shoot with factory loads to see if it can still serve as a short range minute of deer rifle? Thanks

Re: Help! On a buldged barrel

DO NOT SHOOT a rifle with a bulging barrel. If the barrel is long enough to cut the bulge out and still be legal, that can be an option. Other wise get a new barrel on it.

if there was enough pressure to bulge it why would you think it's safe to shoot? Granted it's stronger, thicker portions were visably unharmed, and the pressure dropping near the muzzle.

It's been stressed, throw it away before you throw away much more than a barrel.

As mentioned above, don't shoot that barrel, not even once.

Throw it away and get a new one put on OR maybe cut it down. For the cost of just spinning on a new factory barrel vs. cutting it down, I'd just put a new one on it.

Also, have that receiver checked for cracks by a good NDT place. If it managed to bulge the barrel you should be looking for other places that could have yeilded as well.

Re: Help! On a bulged barrel

Thanks Victor In TN, he is not going to shoot it, is trying to decide if it is worthwhile to have a new barrel installed or is the action damaged beyond repair.

WI50, we don't think it's safe to shoot, thus the question.

nota guru, he won't allow anyone to shoot it.

Thanks for everyones opinion, it would be easier if he had a Smith within 200 miles. I'll give him the bad news! Regards

Get it looked at by a GS...odds are that the action is fine. If just bulged it was probably a light weight obstruction such a wasp plug (dirt dauber), snow, or something like that. A major obstruction will split the barrel like a banana. Depending how long the original barrel is, you can get it cut and crowned proximal to the bulge for a deer rifle as long as it is legal (16 inch) length. If one of the short barrelled .350's, then a new barrel is in order. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get it looked at by a GS...odds are that the action is fine. If just bulged it was probably a light weight obstruction such a wasp plug (dirt dauber), snow, or something like that. A major obstruction will split the barrel like a banana. Depending how long the original barrel is, you can get it cut and crowned proximal to the bulge for a deer rifle as long as it is legal (16 inch) length. If one of the short barrelled .350's, then a new barrel is in order. JMHO </div></div>

"odds are that the action is fine"

Good to hear from you Former Naval Person! Alas it is the short barreled person, and pretty rough so I don't believe that he will want to spend another $300 to stick a new barrel on it. It would be hard to do a good cheek weld LOL. Perhaps, he can sell the action,etc for parts and cut his losses. Phil1, yes it is a odds thing, glad it isn't mine! Regards

I wouldn't.

(Wouldn't what?)

I wouldn't even lay a hand on it. Bad things are bound to lay in its path, and I wouldn't wish to be associated with them in any manner whatsoever.

As deer rifles go, I think it would make a most excellent boat anchor.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Victor In TN, he is not going to shoot it, is trying to decide if it is worthwhile to have a new barrel installed or is the action damaged beyond repair.

WI50, we don't think it's safe to shoot, thus the question.

nota guru, he won't allow anyone to shoot it.

Thanks for everyones opinion, it would be easier if he had a Smith within 200 miles. I'll give him the bad news! Regards </div></div>

Stephenille TX is within 200 miles, way within 200 miles of brownwood. I drove out to brownwood last R&R from granbury and it seems like 2.5 hours is stuck in my mind.

Shumaker Gunworks and tripple G gunsmithing Both in Stephenville both are good at what they do, Tripple G mainly just builds rifle, Shumaker is a general all around smith.