• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help on AR's

sherlok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2004
East Texas
www.oldhomes4sale.com
I'm not too familiar with AR's being a bolt guy, but I'm looking for one now. I want a full rifle, heavy barrel with at least 1 moa accuracy.

There's a new Colt HBAR nearby, but it does not look like a flat top with removable grip which I the specs on Colt's site said they had.

Can you mount a scope on this thing?
Some of the past comments are divided on the Colt vs other makes. But are they OK as far as accuracy and reliability?

Thanks for the help.

Sherlok

Re: Help on AR's

Colt is very good, I have two of them and with Hornady 53 grain Custom factory ammo, it'll shoot under half inch at 100yds.
mike

Colts are good. If it doesn't have the detachable carry handle you can still mount a scope on it using a carry handle mount. Only drawback is that the scope is raised up so high it is hard to get a good cheek weld w/ the stock. You can get one of the aftermarket cheek pisces to put on the stock to help out with that problem.

Colts are about as high quality as they come, but If it has an A2 upper, you will have trouble putting a good scope on it. They have a few other goofball things, like the high shelf, but if you dont have a Machine gun, its no problem. If you like it buy it.

If you want to mount a scope, make sure you get a flat-top receiver, period. What do you plan to use it for?

Build or piece an upper and lower together. Colts are nice if you need a name, but there are tons of other options out there too. Besides a HB what barrel length you looking for? There are some nice varmint uppers that you should be able to get your hands on pretty easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Build or piece an upper and lower together. Colts are nice if you need a name, but there are tons of other options out there too. Besides a HB what barrel length you looking for? There are some nice varmint uppers that you should be able to get your hands on pretty easily. </div></div>

Kind of what you said, only buy a Colt if you need the name, are looking at resale value, or come a cross a really good deal. Unless you find a Colt CR6724, this would be an easy no brainer one stop shop for you.

Otherwise build from scratch and mix & match. Prices have gone up on everything but you can still put your self together a very good shooter from parts. Stripped uppers, parts kits, BCG's, barrels, free-float hand guard options, the sky's the limit. First figure out how much you want and can spend, then set a budget. Trust me. $4200 later and I am about done with my SR15.

If you're not comfy with assembling an upper buy one from Larue, Noveske, MSTN, ADCO, White Oak, Compass Lake or any reputable builder and pin it to your lower receiver. If you buy a DPMS upper remember chamber dims. They might say they are 5.56 but they are really .223. This is another consideration building an upper. 5.56 or .223 and that debate can go on for ever. Do some research and you'll come to your own conclusion.

Shop around and lowers can still be found at a reasonable price. Check out LRB as I think they still have some of the best prices for an excellent lower (they have stripped uppers too). They can be bought stripped or fully assembled (but with standard parts not NM) I have one with a Colt 20" HBAR A2 upper pinned to it and love it.

Then figure what trigger you want. Single stage, double stage, kit, or drop in. There are some good write-ups on triggers over at m4carbine.net and ar15.com

But in the end your money is mostly going to be spent on the upper, hands down. Then just like any other rifle build buy some nice glass to mount on it. Building an AR to shoot sub-moa is the easy part, the rest is up to you.

This is all just my .02¢ as there are a zillion answers and opinions on building precision AR's. Good luck buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sherlok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not too familiar with AR's being a bolt guy, but I'm looking for one now. I want a full rifle, heavy barrel with at least 1 moa accuracy.

There's a new Colt HBAR nearby, but it does not look like a flat top with removable grip which I the specs on Colt's site said they had.

Can you mount a scope on this thing?
Some of the past comments are divided on the Colt vs other makes. But are they OK as far as accuracy and reliability?

Thanks for the help.

Sherlok</div></div>

The rifle you're looking at, unlike others in the genre, is authorized for Service Rifle division of NRA HP and LR, as well as CMP Service Rifle competitions. These structured competitions will inspire you to become a more extraordinary marksman than likely using less structured training venues. In fact, with just a few excursions into HP you'll understand, that for the sort of sized targets your rifle was designed to hit, a scope is not the necessity it appears to be now as you ponder it all.

You'll not only come to appreciate the magnificence of iron sights through HP, but that good shooting is mostly about the shooter, not the rifle-they all shoot in the direction they're pointed. For good results, it comes down to properly pointing the rifle and pulling the trigger without disturbing aim.

Colt is a name that no longer means squat to me in the ar world. There are several others that will shoot as good or even better. I still love the colt 1911's but there ar's are average at best. This has been my experience anyway. Maybe the 3 that i owned were lemons?

Thanks for all of the input.

I guess it makes sense that I don't need a scope with the HBAR. And I could build a pretty decent flat top later by acquiring a lower.

Thanks again,
Sherlok

I have not owned an colt but been around them that different friends have owned and none of us care to own one again, unless they have dramaticly changed them since the past 10 to 15 years. when my friends had them they didnt shoot accuratly at all. If you buy a armalite, dpms, or rock river you will get your money back out of them just as easy as a colt and i think even quicker. but that is just my opinion and like i said maybe things have changed.