• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help on choosing the right size Vortex Viper PST..

Jager66

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Northern VA & Northern Italy
OK Guys, I am kind locked on buying a Vortex PST but I can not yet make up my mind on which one to chose from the 4-16x50 and the bigger bro 6-24x50....

I am set on Mil/Mil set up and FFP as well....

Pro on the 4-16 will be a more compact size, but the 6-24 will have an edge on power....

Is there anyone who hade the same doubts and how did you end up ?

Appreciate your help.

smile.gif

P.S.: Are they readily available from the web Guys ?

Re: Help on choosing the right size Vortex Viper PST..

What rifle is it going on what what is your intended purpose. Over the years I have own every type of optic from red dots to 6-24 power scopes. What optic you chose has everything to do with your intended purpose.

Thanks for you reply.

Right now this riflescope would go on a hunting rifle and will be used also for some target shooting.
In a near future, though, I intend it to be switched to a "sniper-like" kinda rifle (308 or 300 WM) for long range shooting.

smile.gif

I personally don't like 4x - too low for most applications, but a little too much for CQB. So I personally would go with 6-24x, considering that you can always dial the magnification down (except you won't be able to go from 6x to 4x
smile.gif
), but there's no way to dial up what's not there. So for long range reach I'd say go with the greater magnification, it may help and it won't hurt (just dial down!) when not needed.

For what it's worth, I tried SVD with an 8x POSP Russian scope (they usually are equipped with a 4x PSO), and it felt OK at short (100m) and long ranges (600m). I did not feel constrained by magnification being too high.

For the "right now" get the 4-16x.I have one and have no problem reaching out to 1,000 yards. If you really are going to use it mostly for longer ranges than yes, go with the 6-24x. Either one should suit your purposes.

I went with the 4-16x40 bc of the shorter scope and you save a little weight. Plus if you're hunting, chances are you have opportunities to shoot 25-50 yds. Personally I shoot 100yds with 4 or 5x. I don't get why guys dial it up to 10 or more power at 100yds. If hunting, you are shooting the shoulder chest area, not trying to pick the ticks off of the thing.

It's gonna be personal preference for you to ultimately decide.

Just a thought i put a 4x16x50 pst second focal plane on my remington, like the 4x for off hand shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victory5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought i put a 4x16x50 pst second focal plane on my remington, like the 4x for off hand shooting. </div></div>
If you don't care for convenient reticle-based ranging at any power and for being able to conveniently do reticle holds - it should be just fine. Otherwise I'd suggest FFP.