• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help on fine tuning 308 win hunting load

smcfarland

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
Georgetown, TX
Folks,

Looking for some helpful advice on some recent load development I've been doing. Sorry if this is too long of a post but wanted to provide as much info as possible for better suggestions.
BLUF: Looking for input on the following load options:
1. Keep working on 185 VLDs with 43.0 Varget at 2520ish to be able to spot rounds.
2. Fine tune the 185 VLD with 44.1 Varget load at 2600ish and sacrifice spotting rounds.
3. Develop load with 180 Nosler Ballistic tip around 2500 ish to spot rounds and no deformation of tip in magazine. Can always switch to Accubond for Elk hunt.
4. Slow down 180 Sierra Game King to be able to spot rounds.
5. Leave standard load alone.
Background: For the last four years I've been using Nosler Brass, 210M primers, 44.5 Varget, and 180 SBT Sierra Game Kings at 2620 fps avg as my "standard" do-everything load. My theory was to pick one bullet, use it all the time, and compile boatloads of data for confidence. It has worked fairly well for me, and taken around 100 critters or so (mostly pigs). However, I have had a few pigs get back up and wander off, as well as it being difficult to spot all of my shots due to the weight of the rifle. I chose this bullet based on its accuracy in my rifle (rem 700, 1:10.75 Hart 20in barrel, Leupold MK4 3.5-10), shooting .75 - 1.00 MOA at 100-400 yds. I also wanted a heavier bullet to help with wind drift (very windy in West Texas where I normally hunt) and for proficiency/confidence should I finally get an opportunity to go on an elk hunt.
After a few high-volume pig hunts and being limited to internal magazine capacity, I decided to put a Badger DBM on the rifle. This opened up the possibility of loading much longer than before, and I decided to at least try out some Berger 185 VLDs based upon their very nice BC and my desire to stretch out my effective confidence range from 400yds to 600 yds during the off-season.
I have spent the last four months' worth of Sunday mornings at the range trying to dial the load in and am starting to reach the point of frustration.
All work to date has been at 100 yards, which I know is quite short for the round's capabilities. However, the majority of my shots are inside 100 yards, and I would like something that consistently delivers .5MOA at that range if I'm going to change. I will of course then test/tweak at farther ranges.
I started with a ladder test and settled on 44.1 Varget as the best node. After much tweaking of seating depth, max for the mag was about the best I could do (2.875 OAL). However, consistency has not been present. I admit it could partially be shooter error, but groups have been good one week and strikingly poor the next, with this as my control group for each session.
With the difficulty in spotting rounds, I decided to try the 43.0 node, but am concerned that it may prove the same.
I have lighter loads for the Ballistic tip and the Game King that are consistenly shooting .5 MOA at 100 yds that I haven't played with seating depth on. Every time I start to commit to them I run the numbers on that pretty BC for the 185 VLDs and see that I'll have the same dope as before but should be able to spot my rounds with the 43.0 Varget Load and 185VLD.
So, long story short, feel I need to commit to something to get my practice in over the summer, and was looking for a little guidance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stefan

Re: Help on fine tuning 308 win hunting load

Welcome.

I would not load to try to spot rounds.

Out of the loads you listed, I would go for the VLD projectiles. I have had great luck with them (175 grainers). Just go for whatever load shoots best in your rifle and maybe get a friend to spot you.

You mentioned most of you work has been done at 100 yards. I would not be worrying about spotting shots there. Much too close to get anything done. Get some targets out at some distance and you will have a much easier time. At what range did you do your ladder test?

If you are trying to spot your rounds better, look into a suppressor, muzzle brake, or added weight to the rifle. I would not compromise the load for that.

I have sub 1/2" MOA out of my 5r milspec using the 168 VLD behind 43.5 grn of RL15. The 180 SMK groups sub 1/2" with 42.5 of RL 15. All loaded at 2.815 to fit in the factory box. I use federal brass and 210 match primers.

Hope this helps!

I shoot both the 168 and 175 Berger VLD’s out of a factory Remington. The seating depth is to fit an AI mag. I load 45 grains R-15 in the 168 and 42.5 R-15 in the 175. I am able to get sub ½ moa groups with 5 shots with both loads. You might try some 175’s, I doubt the pigs will ever know the difference.

No offesne intended, but if most of your shots are at about 100 yards, there is no need to be able to spot them. You KNOW where you hit. Even if you pull it a little, we're only talking an inch MAX from intended point of impact.

That said, I use an SMK or a SGK (both at 180gr) between 2500 and 2550 (depending on if I charge at 42gr or 42.5gr), and I can spot hits at 400+ yards no problem with a Savage 10FP with a Leupold.

I understand getting frustrated when things don't come together the way you expect or would like. Keep pecking away at it and you'll get there. Ultimately, I agree that you should worry less about spotting hits, and just load to whatever achieves the best accuracy, with a bullet you think will have the terminal ballistics you want.

I've never shot pigs (and I acknowledge they are much tougher animal than deer), but I've had great success killing deer with 180SMK's out to 700 yards (ok, 677 to be exact). As far as your animals getting up and walking away: Did they get away and die? I've always taken heart/lung shots, and most of the time I find deer will make it 100 yards (+/-) even after having both lungs and the heart having been turned into soup. I guess what I'm getting at (again, no experience with hogs) is that it seems likely there is no bullet a 308 can send off that will cause consistent drop in its tracks performance on hogs....I can't get that to happen on deer.

Wanted to give an update and say thanks for the helpful suggestions made.
Spent Sunday morning out at the range again, and decided to do more of an OCW style test with the bergers and ballistic tips. Range was 100 yards again.
After feeling good on the shots, I think I'm gonna have to close the door on my attempt to make the 185 vlds work. Best groups were again in the one inch range, but none that had similar POI throughout a range of charge weights. I may try some lighter or even heavier ones at a later date, but figured it would be best to cut my losses on them. Feel like I'm trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.
The outing was very productive with the 180 gr ballistic tips, though. From 43.2 to 43.8gr of Varget they have the same POI, and shot very small groups. Have to say it was a good confidence booster after the lack of results with the bergers, and at least helps me minimize myself as the culprit in the testing.
Good chrono data, though small sample size, and velocity should be right in the 2550 range with a 43.5gr charge. My plan is to load them up for a hunting trip this weekend. Hopefully I'll get some live tissue tests done on pigs and coyotes.
If time permits I should also be able to test them on paper out to 600 or so.

Thanks again for the help and recommendations.

Stefan