• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing help on loosening bolt handle`s allen bolt

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Man , this thing won`t buldge ... I am trying to loosen the allen bolt on this brand new 10FCP to replace the bolt handle and I am getting frustrated . How tight is this bolt from factory and how should I loosen it up without damaging the bolt ? Please , some help here , thanks

Re: help on loosening bolt handle`s allen bolt

i put it on the ground w/ the handle touching the ground and the L shaped allen wrench in the slot so it stick up a couple of inches then step on it to break it free. make sure you position it so you are loosening it up not tightening it.

sometimes it makes a loud snap as it comes free and you will have an oh shit moment but not to worry.

use anti sieze when putting it back on and snug it TIGHT.

Well... it happened EXACTLY as you said , even with the oh shit ... it was a loud snap and I got scared , but it is fine . I`ll put some anti seize grey grease that I have left from when I replaced the spark plugs on my wife`s car . Many, many Thanks ...

I ran into that not long ago when building a 6.5 Grendel and I went to change the bolt head and that sucker wouldn't budge! I ended up holding the whole bolt in a mill vise and using a small piece of pipe on the allen key and the 'POP'! was a bit startling. The older one's twist right off, especially when they still had the flat head.

I think, unless they quit doing it, that there is some a small piece of plastic used for a thread locker on the retaining bolt. Generally the first time is a pain, but after that it gets much easier. If you look at the top of the retaining bolt, I think you'll see what I'm talking about. Just as said above, I use the bolt handle itself, against a hard surface, to keep the bolt from moving and to allow leverage on the allen retaining screw. Works well.