• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help on picking glass

Kevin 53

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
mississippi
I just purchased a 6.5 creedmoor bolt and I'm wanting to shoot long range I have it down to two nightforce c236 and c378 Im new and asking for help on picking. If there's a better one in nightforce please help.

Thanks Kevin

Re: Help on picking glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevin53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have it down to two nightforce c236 and c378 </div></div>

What are those?

Ditch the velocity reticles. Learn how to use a mil or moa reticle and it will serve you much better. Cruise the classifieds here as there are many used SFP Nightforces for good prices.

I have 2 of the 5.5-22x50's with NP-r1 reticles and love them. The 2 moa windage hashmarks are fine enough to use to hold for wind. I have used the NP-r2 and did not find the 5 moa windage marks usable for consistent hold over. There is just too much space there. I have been shooting 600-1000 yards and have no wants for a different reticle. Good luck.

I was leaning to the 5.5-22x56 with the np-r1 with hs and zs. I can pick this one up for 1800 new.

Thanks Kevin

The one thing I like about not having a zero stop is being able to use a quick detach mount and move the scope from rifle to rifle. I just zero the rifle and write down the elevation and windage on the scope base. My zero on one rifle might be 33.5 and it might be 55.25 on another rifle. It allows me to get the most benefit out of a nice piece of glass. I would however appreciate the high speed turrets, but not a big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one thing I like about not having a zero stop is being able to use a quick detach mount and move the scope from rifle to rifle. I just zero the rifle and write down the elevation and windage on the scope base. My zero on one rifle might be 33.5 and it might be 55.25 on another rifle. It allows me to get the most benefit out of a nice piece of glass. I would however appreciate the high speed turrets, but not a big deal. </div></div>

What kind of mounts are you using? How well are they holding zero? I get nervous even thinking about removing and reattaching a scope without re-zeroing. My only experience is with Larue mounts on an AR. Best way to put it was the scope sort of went back to zero. Would never use them on a precision rifle.

I use the Larue and just mark the location On the rail so that I put it back in the same spot on the rail. I pay attention to camming the levers evenly. I tighten both levers half way then 3/4 and then full lock. It might not be a perfect solution but it works for me