• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help...Parker-Hale .270

Rc4512

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2020
Maryland
I picked up a rifle for cheap from a friend of mine and I am unfamiliar with Parker Hale I have done my google search and found basic info.

I am looking to identify what model rifle this is and maybe a basic year of manufacturing.

Serial# B-0949x....obviously the x is to block the full serial it is a digit not a letter. Not sure if the "B" could be an 8..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And any thoughts on the gun would be welcome.

Attachments

• 20201119_212204.jpg
    20201119_212204.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 857
  • 20201119_212504.jpg
    20201119_212504.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 20201119_212550.jpg
    20201119_212550.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 20201119_212726.jpg
    20201119_212726.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 20201119_212855.jpg
    20201119_212855.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 20201119_212541.jpg
    20201119_212541.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 366
  • 20201119_214208.jpg
    20201119_214208.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 318
Cool rifle. Interested to see what you come up with.

Thanks I learned a lot about the company and .270...I wasn't familiar with either until 2 days ago. The 270 I heard of it as a hunting cartridge but I never took the time to look up the ballistics....kinda impressive

Reactions: Robert Chambers
That Parker Hale is built on a commercial Mauser 98 action, a pretty sound hunting gun should shoot minute of deer without any problems, all of my hunting guns are built off of Mauser 98 for a number of reasons I have gone through on a number of posts here on the 'Hide.

270 Win is pretty impressive caliber on deer-sized animals, I used to shoot crop damage deer, tags by the 50-count book, and I would use my 270 with 130 Core-lokt as they dropped deer faster than anything else I used, 90% of the deer shot with that round were bang flop. Shooting a bunch of deer in low light you want to anchor them right where they stand, tracking takes a lot of time.

Clean the gun up and find what it likes to shoot, don't assume you will get accuracy like modern rifles will produce but like I said it should be aequate for all but long range hunting. One note: cycle the action with rounds in the magazine, do not place a round on top of the follower (above the feed lips) and close the bolt. The Mauser claw extractor is much happier to strip a round out of the magazine as them round is already under the extractor. If you close the bolt starting with a round sitting in the port the extractor has to flex itself over the rim as the bolt closes and this is hard on the extractor and may lead to premature failure. The extractor on you PH may have been ground to allow it close on a round but still it is a good idea to load from the magazine.

That Parker Hale is built on a commercial Mauser 98 action, a pretty sound hunting gun should shoot minute of deer without any problems, all of my hunting guns are built off of Mauser 98 for a number of reasons I have gone through on a number of posts here on the 'Hide.

270 Win is pretty impressive caliber on deer-sized animals, I used to shoot crop damage deer, tags by the 50-count book, and I would use my 270 with 130 Core-lokt as they dropped deer faster than anything else I used, 90% of the deer shot with that round were bang flop. Shooting a bunch of deer in low light you want to anchor them right where they stand, tracking takes a lot of time.

Clean the gun up and find what it likes to shoot, don't assume you will get accuracy like modern rifles will produce but like I said it should be aequate for all but long range hunting. One note: cycle the action with rounds in the magazine, do not place a round on top of the follower (above the feed lips) and close the bolt. The Mauser claw extractor is much happier to strip a round out of the magazine as them round is already under the extractor. If you close the bolt starting with a round sitting in the port the extractor has to flex itself over the rim as the bolt closes and this is hard on the extractor and may lead to premature failure. The extractor on you PH may have been ground to allow it close on a round but still it is a good idea to load from the magazine.
Thank you for the added info...any idea what model it may be?

I have seen PH has almost a cult like following which is pretty cool....trying to find ammo is a bit challenging.

What he said.

Controlled round feed rifles have so much good tosay about them Just As Long as the rifleman remembers, they can’t be single round fed unless they are fed from the magazine. The extractor/ejector system is the best ever in a hunting rifle if one follows these simple instructions. Men and women who go after truly dangerous game for a living swear by them.

Love the rifle. Am Jealous!

y guess is a 1100 or 1200 as they both are built off of Mauser 98 at least that is what it looks like from the images on the web. I only have one PH and I bought it for the action it was in the ugliest plastic stock I have ever seen, I could not get the stock off and in the trash fast enough in case ugly is contagious.

If you fall down the Mauser rabbit look for JC Higgins model 50 or 51 in gun stores, the actions are commercial Muaser 98s made by FN they were imported by Sears and assembled by High Standard here in the US. The FN actions are great and bearing the Sears trade name sometimes do not command a top dollar, great hunting guns that you may be able to pick up for $350.

I appreciate all the help...I paid $200 and its in really good shape It had a nikon prostaff 3x9 40 on it....noting great but I think it was a decent deal?

I know everyone has differing opinions on the question I'm about to ask but I am looking for opinions.

I'm debating once I can confirm its a 1200 putting it on a Boyd's fully adjustable stock (Riser and Length of pull) seeing if I can get it rebarreled into a quality heavy barrel.

I am a bit of a precision nut and I like to build all my rifles into the most accurate they can be.

I am also looking at taking a antelope trip next year to Wyoming.

Any thoughts on this idea, I welcome differing opinions and knowledge.

You probably got a good deal at $200. If you desire a highly precise shooting rifle I would put that rifle on the shelf and start with a modern action. A modern action will give you quite a few features that lend themselves to better accuracy than the venerable Mauser 98. Another plus with a modern action is your gunsmith will probably have more experience working on say rem 700's or Win 70's. Mausers are not particularly hard to rebarrel, except for a few minor and oftentmes overlooked things, 55° threads instead of 60° and they seat on an inside collar not the shoulder. Most probably cut 60° threads with no problems. I do my own work on my rifles so finding a 'smith is not a big problem, if you want to go ahead with rebarreling your Mauser look up Jim Kobe in Bloomington MN his work is excellant, rates are good and turnaround time is amazing.

I hunt with mausers for a number of reasons, I like using a design that is over a 100 years old, I install 3-position safeties which lock the firing pin not just trigger, when hunting we rely on the safety for many hours in a day and I like locking the firing pin. Yes you can do a 3-position safety on a Rem 700, I did one for $199 and doing the install myself. Some people like the controlled round feed nature of the Mauser, this allows you operate the action without failure in any orientation, some like this when hunting around dangerous animals. None of the animals I have shot with Mausers would not have dies had I had one of 700's or 70's in my hand at the time of squeezing the trigger. I can't make the claim that I would have shot a clean F-class target if I had been shooting a Mauser instead of one my rem 700 clones, I don't use mausers for high accuracy work.

Any of the stocks for large ring mausers will probably fit you PH, there are some differences between 98's but that is why you have wood chisels or a mill.

Probably more than you wanted to know about Mausers and my quirks,
wade

You probably got a good deal at $200. If you desire a highly precise shooting rifle I would put that rifle on the shelf and start with a modern action. A modern action will give you quite a few features that lend themselves to better accuracy than the venerable Mauser 98. Another plus with a modern action is your gunsmith will probably have more experience working on say rem 700's or Win 70's. Mausers are not particularly hard to rebarrel, except for a few minor and oftentmes overlooked things, 55° threads instead of 60° and they seat on an inside collar not the shoulder. Most probably cut 60° threads with no problems. I do my own work on my rifles so finding a 'smith is not a big problem, if you want to go ahead with rebarreling your Mauser look up Jim Kobe in Bloomington MN his work is excellant, rates are good and turnaround time is amazing.

I hunt with mausers for a number of reasons, I like using a design that is over a 100 years old, I install 3-position safeties which lock the firing pin not just trigger, when hunting we rely on the safety for many hours in a day and I like locking the firing pin. Yes you can do a 3-position safety on a Rem 700, I did one for $199 and doing the install myself. Some people like the controlled round feed nature of the Mauser, this allows you operate the action without failure in any orientation, some like this when hunting around dangerous animals. None of the animals I have shot with Mausers would not have dies had I had one of 700's or 70's in my hand at the time of squeezing the trigger. I can't make the claim that I would have shot a clean F-class target if I had been shooting a Mauser instead of one my rem 700 clones, I don't use mausers for high accuracy work.

Any of the stocks for large ring mausers will probably fit you PH, there are some differences between 98's but that is why you have wood chisels or a mill.

wade
Nope I love this type of information and conversation! Sounds like you are a precision shooter..generally what is the typical or a reasonable to achieve MOA for this gun stock?

I have one Mauser 98, commercial or military, that when rebarreled will not shoot 1 MOA, the rest will post groups less than 1 MOA but rarely less than 1/2 MOA The one 98 that I cannot shoot groups less than 1 MOA it is a 416 Taylor and is a real bastard to shoot due to recoil. A better man than I might be able to get the 416 to shoot better than 1 MOA, but I can't.

Reactions: Modoc

wade
$200 for that rifle and a Prostaff imho is a screaming deal. If you subtract $75 for a used Prostaff ( which is probably closer to $100) he paid $125 for a CRF rifle with a damned good reputation. I would hunt that rifle just as it is. It’s going to be 2 MOA or better with the right ammo ( I agree with the previous post and start with 130 grn Cor Lokt, all my older 270s shoot lights out with that ammo) and for an older rifle that’s very respectable accuracy.

Good, modern rifles are everywhere. A Parker Hale, once its gone, its gone. One may Never find another especially one as nice.. Shoot it as is and cherish the good fortune of owning it. Want a tack driver, They are everywhere, many probably less expensive than modernizing a classic.

I appreciate all the help...I paid $200 and its in really good shape It had a nikon prostaff 3x9 40 on it....noting great but I think it was a decent deal?

I know everyone has differing opinions on the question I'm about to ask but I am looking for opinions.

I'm debating once I can confirm its a 1200 putting it on a Boyd's fully adjustable stock (Riser and Length of pull) seeing if I can get it rebarreled into a quality heavy barrel.

I am a bit of a precision nut and I like to build all my rifles into the most accurate they can be.

I am also looking at taking a antelope trip next year to Wyoming.

Any thoughts on this idea, I welcome differing opinions and knowledge.
I was wondering if you got the Boyd’s Stock? I ordered one for my PH 270 and it did not fit well and could not get it fitted right.

I have the PH 270 as well as the 30-06 PH. I got the 270 from my grandfather 43 years ago. I got the 30-06 I got later when he died. I have you both of them for Whitetail and Mule deer hunting and Elk Hunting. Both shot around a 2 MOA consistently. But I was shooting 200 yards or less. I have been seriously thinking about a Fierce Rival in 6.5 PRC so I can reach further and still get ethical shot of the deer and elk. Any thoughts

Can't help ya with the model number, but the 270 is in my opinion the best caliber for anything east of the Mississippi.

Better than that, but I like spelling out Mississippi......

Reactions: Robert Chambers
I picked up a Parker and Hale 1200 that was built in the mid 70s in 30-06 and for the same $200. Nobody at work wanted it for the $400 he was asking so he finally asked if I wanted it. Said $200 and it's yours. It didn't have a scope or mounts so I asked why not? He said that he has hit everything he has aimed at with it. I took it from him and got some cheap Federal 150gr at Walmart and the next weekend a bunch of guys were going shooting, so I went. 100yds off a front rest and rear bag, i steadily and slowly shot 3 rds. Another guy beside me was shooting a Sako 308 scoped. We walked to the target and both targets had 3 rounds in them. One was over an inch and the other was about 1/2" i thought I was shooting at the left target but asked to make sure and he was open mouth looking at my target. I was blown away by the accuracy with iron sights! I hope you kept yours as it came as its a beautiful classic great rifle! It's my poor mans Weatherby and has taken a few deer and the scope i installed didn't help accuracy but it didn't really need one except for my eye sight not seeing that far away.

Reactions: Modoc