• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help pick a heavy hitting 308 bolt face

TxShooter7oo

Private
Minuteman
I have a Rem 700 SA 308, I’d like to re barrel it into a 16” tube shooting a heavy subsonic. This would mainly be for entertainment purposes, night hunting pigs under 100yards, etc. I know the Beowulf is a 223 bolt face and short action, what options do I have in the 308 bolt face? looking for an out of the box solution. I do reload and I’m not scared to do something outside the norm.

338 Creedmoor would be cool.
Why would you do that, when .338 Federal is already a SAAMI standardized, and factory loaded round?

If it’s a heavy sub you want, look hard at a .338-6BR (aka .338 Whisper).

If you wanted to do your own thing, you could .338 Grendel.

Or REALLY out there would be to grab 500 tubes from Peterson and make up your own .358 or .375 rifle option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskydriver
I haven't ever tried but you might consider a 358 Winchester with heavy bullets and Hodgdon Trail Boss.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
At least you can hypothetically buy SOCOM brass.

.338 Whisper is BEST done from 7BR...and that’s hard to find. If you use the hard ass 6BR Lapua, hell, it’d seriously be about as easy to grab straight tubes from PA, cut them down, and size DOWN to spec.

Option 1 probably requires a lot of annealing and multiple steps of sizing. Option 2 would absolutely require neck turning due to the thickness of the brass tubes where you’d be locating your neck. Pick your bullshit.

So yeah. Anything that’s already factory formed, but does NOT have a huge boiler room that you have to cram full of shit to keep from going sooper...well, that seems like a best option.

It should be worth mentioning if your looking for a caliber like this you won’t be able to use a .30 cal suppressor.

.338 suppressors are not as common.