• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help pick a hunting scope: Zeiss, Sightron, Nikon?

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
Just bought a Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 30-06. Now I'm in need of another scope. I was looking at either the Zeiss Conquest, Sightron SII Big Sky, and Nikon Monarch. Looking for something from 2-3x - 9-12x with an objective in the 40mm range. I would like to keep my budget in the $500 range. I'll be after deer and small game, probably no longer than 300 yards. Probably an average of 100 yards.

I've looked through the Conquest and Monarchs and the Conquest does have awesome glass and turrets but the price is a bit out of my range. Monarchs are decent but the price and BDC reticle kinda draws me in. I've never looked through a Sightron Big Sky but I do have the SIII 6-24. I'm not sure if the quality is the same between the Big Sky and SIIIs.

Are there any other scopes I should look into? I'm not a big fan of Leopolds, BSA, and Bushnells for personal reasons so please don't recommend those. How are the Vortex Vipers(non-PST) compared to Sightrons?

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance!

Re: Help pick a hunting scope: Zeiss, Sightron, Nikon?

yea I saw that post. I contacted them. I'm still undecided. Thanks for the heads up!

You can look into the Mueller Tac II (3-10x44). It is made in Japan by Sightron but cheaper than a Sightron branded Sightron. It can be had for under $300 (which is $150 less than the same Big Sky SII).

I have one and it tracks just as well as my Zeiss Victory and Trijicon Accupoint. Image quality wise, it is quite good with its strength being good color rendition. It is also compact (I hate long scopes), durable (original scope on my Win Mag 4 years ago and still going strong), and light.

For 300 yard shots, you simply put the target on the first mildot below the crosshair.

Congrats on the A-Bolt Stainless - a beautiful rifle:)

My personal opinion, after looking through through the glass and comparing scopes, is that (1) the SIII glass is better than the SII Big Sky, and that (2) the Viper 3-9x40 is as good as the Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44. Others may disagree.

At the same time, for me, the SIII is just too bulky to go hunting with: 22 ox, 13.6", it's not only the weight but also the bulk and the rifle balance. I don't hunt from stands, and I want a rifle that I can carry easily in the brush, and walk with for a whole day (or more). So I would not select it for a hunting scope. But that's me - everyone has his own (strong) feelings about what works for them:)

I don't have a strong opinion on the others, as I have not handled them enough. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought a Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 30-06. Now I'm in need of another scope. I was looking at either the Zeiss Conquest, Sightron SII Big Sky, and Nikon Monarch. Looking for something from 2-3x - 9-12x with an objective in the 40mm range. I would like to keep my budget in the $500 range. I'll be after deer and small game, probably no longer than 300 yards. Probably an average of 100 yards.

I've looked through the Conquest and Monarchs and the Conquest does have awesome glass and turrets but the price is a bit out of my range. Monarchs are decent but the price and BDC reticle kinda draws me in. I've never looked through a Sightron Big Sky but I do have the SIII 6-24. I'm not sure if the quality is the same between the Big Sky and SIIIs.

Are there any other scopes I should look into? I'm not a big fan of Leopolds, BSA, and Bushnells for personal reasons so please don't recommend those. How are the Vortex Vipers(non-PST) compared to Sightrons?

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance! </div></div>

I'd recommend a fixed power Meopta or Docter Optik if yo can find one. better for hunting IMO esp around the 7-8x range with a large obj for late evening hunting.
wink.gif

BTW, Vortex is awesome glass for the money used my viper all the time for night hunts.

IMO the Conquest would be your best option. My next choice would be the Vipers on closeout.

CanPopper - I'll look into Mueller. I'm thinking about going to Cabelas and Bass Pro to check out prices anyways. I did not know that Mueller was made by Sightron, sources?

WestOfPecos - Thanks! I can't wait to get a scope mounted on her and see what she can do. I paid $675 shipped for it. The previous owner apparently ran less than a box of ammo through it so it's LNIB. It's a shame that no one around here carries Vortex, I'd like to look through one before I buy it. The general consensus says that Sightron SIIIs are way better than the Vortex Viper line but who knows? I've never looked through one, maybe my eyes are yours are the same. I don't plan on using my SIII for hunting, way overkill, that goes on the DPMS for bench.

Hunter223 - I think I'd wanna stick with a variable powered scope. Maybe it's just me but I just can't get a fixed powered scope to work for me, somedays my eyes don't like a certain magnification...yea I'm retarded.

Thanks guys! Anybody else? keep em coming!

+ 1 for the Conquest.

Bought one yesterday for my 300 WSM and I feel like its going to be a great scope.

I just got the 3-9x50mm with a plain duplex.

PC

Yea I just found out Zeiss' got a special going on, $399 for their 3-9x40. Maybe I'll come back with one later.

I like my pentax lightseeker. But I think I paid like $700 for it though. I have the lightseeker 30 8-32 but wish I would have gone lower mag.Seems like a good scope for hunting and such. Mine never gets used cause I live on the road but aime to let it see the light of day when I get back for deer season.

a few options:

see if you can find a used Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with the dot reticle, I used the mildot/green dot on my 6.8 AR

or.. a used Kahles CL, I use a CL 3-10x50 on my 308 for hunting, amazing glass, can count horns at 300 yards at last light when I can't even see the deer with my naked eye....

also as mentioned, a Conquest 3-9x40 is a good option of course

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CanPopper - I'll look into Mueller. I'm thinking about going to Cabelas and Bass Pro to check out prices anyways. I did not know that Mueller was made by Sightron, sources?
</div></div>

http://www.chuckhawks.com/mueller_3-10x44_tacII.htm

Third paragraph. But only the Tac II. The other Mueller scopes are not as good.

anybody try a Nitrex TR two? They're on a major clearance on Natchez. Samplelist has them for $399. Not too many info out there on them.

CanPopper - Thanks!

Still trying to find deals out there on fleabay and other auction sites.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 and the Sightron Big Sky II in a 4.5x14 as well. I'm impressed by both, just a little more by the Zeiss. I've never owned a Nikon scope, nervous because of all the refurbished nikons I've seen advertised.

I own two of the scopes you list. I have the Sightron Big Sky in 4-16X42 and the Nikon Monarch in a 2.5-10X42. I love both of them and both have their uses for my hunting needs. The Sightron's glass is unparalleled by in glass quality for the money. Quite excellent glass IMO it would take a scope worth at least $200 to $300 dollars more to beat it. It tracks great the adjustable objective lens let you focus immediately from 25 yds. to 500 yds. This particular scope is mounted on a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06. This I use on open plains or for long shots that are required for sheep like Aoudad in the Davis Mountains here in Texas. The warranty is one of the best. No fault warranty they replace the scopes not fix them, and its life time. The Monarch has the BDC reticle and the glass is real good but to my eyes the Sightron edges it out. The BDC reticle is right on with my loads and this is mounted on an old Savage 110c. I use this when hunting in brush with the 2.5 power and allows me to really get out there to 500 yds using the BDC reticle. It must be on 10 power though. It maintains zero tracks great, and what else can I say its a Nikon. There warranty is good for 25 years after that it costs you like 10 bucks. Hope this is helpful.

Zeiss conquest would be my choice. I have tried about everything and the zeiss is a great scope.

+1 on the 3x9 conquest. Clear glass and the power range to clearly see your target at the distances your shooting at. I use a 4.5x14 on a ltr for a lightweight pack rifle.

Mac

Dlx - you got a great deal on that rifle... I am sure you will enjoy it, it is a great shooter and a looker as well. Fit and finish is top notch.

Re Zeiss Conquest, you might be interested in the following threads:
OpticsTalk Zeizz Conquest vs VX3
Cabela's Zeiss Conquest vs VX3
OPticsPlanet Zeiss Conquest vs VX3
24hourcampfire Zeiss Conquest vs VX3
I am not posting them to encourage a VX3 purchase but because each thread has interesting compares for the Zeiss. My conclusion is that the Zeiss will optically outperform the SII Big Sky and the Nikon. But I don't think that glass quality is the only criterion to look at, and usability/ warranty/ mechanicals/ reliability are also criteria to use. So I would not make a decision solely based on glass quality:)

One more thought - I am sure you have already checked all this out - Sightron has a couple of interesting models in your budget:
- SII Big Sky 3-9x36 Adj Objective, for $500
- SII Big Sky 3-12x42 MilDot for $560 if you are so inclined (HHR also available at same price, Plex for $520)
- SII Big Sky 3-9x42 HHR for $430 w/ Ballistic Plex for deadhold
- SII Big Sky 3-9x42 GL for $320 with regular Plex

This comes straight from my carefully maintained spreadsheet on interesting optics:) Whatever your pick, I hope you will let us know how it compares to your existing optics, in particular your handsome S3.

WestOfPecos - I'm torn between the Zeiss 3-9, Sightron Big Sky, and Nitrex. Zeiss and Sightron will cost roughly the same since the 3-9 is going for $399 everywhere and with Sightron's $75 rebate on the Big Sky models. I'm so tempted to pick up a Nitrex since it's made by Weaver and Natchez has them for $200 with their $100 rebate. I've heard alot of good things from Nitrex/Weaver, but I've never looked through one. Am I a cheapskate? hell yes. Midway also has the Weaver 3-10 Tactical mil/mil for $300 which I can get so I can prep myself ultimately for a future Nightforce with MLR/Mil. With Lowlight's approval of Weaver, I figured I can't go wrong on that route. Not that I'm trying to brown-nose him, just that I know I can trust his review.

So many choices!

I currently own a couple Sightron SII Big Sky's, as well as a few Nikon Monarchs, and I have owned two Zeiss Conquests (3-9x and 6.5-20) If I had to rank them, it would be the Sightron #1, Zeiss a close 2nd, and the Nikon 3rd. The glass in the Zeiss and Sightron are very close, almost too close to call. However, the eye relief on the Big Sky models is much better. Plus, Sightron's customer service is second to none, which is why I would rate the Big Sky above the Zeiss.

Personally, I would go with the Big Sky and send in the rebate.

+1 for Zeiss, i owned Conquest 6.5-20x50 model with target turrents , glass is extremely clear and bright, track/ hold zero well, never had problems with it.