• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help pick primary sidearm

Mossyoak44

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Utah
For the past few years my main sidearm I use for home protection, vacation, would use for shtf scenario has been the Walther PPQ. It’s a fantastic accurate pistol and has never failed me. I’ve decided to replace it with something different (personal reasons nothing to do with the gun) and would like some opinions/personal experiences for a new primary sidearm. I have a few other pistols that I use for daily carry so it doesn’t have to fill that role unless I really feel like it. A few I don’t want (yes I’ve shot them enough to know I don’t want them) beretta 92 & px4, smith and Wesson m&p, Springfield xd. Here’s few options that I have on my list
Sig 320x or 226
CZ P10c
HK P30
I guess Glock 19/17 ugly but they work
Any other suggestions that I haven’t thought about or have over looked are welcome.

226 and P30 are the wrong tech. You can still justify a single action pistol, but not a DA/SA, at least in my opinion.

P10C is a nice gun to shoot, but I worry about what happens if something goes wrong. They are not simple inside with all of those roll pins.

I don't like the 320 x carry, because it sits up like a big ice cream cone, but it is shootable, and seems reliable nowadays. Also, relatively easy to fix a broken part.

Glocks are fine. I actually like the gen 5 models.

The HK P30 is a nice option.
A nicely done up CZ 75 model is excellent as well
Also you can get the new Sig P320 and play building blocks with it to your hearts content, or buy any one of like 20 different standard configurations.

Reactions: Long Range 338
226 and P30 are the wrong tech. You can still justify a single action pistol, but not a DA/SA, at least in my opinion.

P10C is a nice gun to shoot, but I worry about what happens if something goes wrong. They are not simple inside with all of those roll pins.

I don't like the 320 x carry, because it sits up like a big ice cream cone, but it is shootable, and seems reliable nowadays. Also, relatively easy to fix a broken part.

Glocks are fine. I actually like the gen 5 models.

Wtf is wrong with a da/sa pistol lol?

The HK P30 is a nice option.
A nicely done up CZ 75 model is excellent as well
Also you can get the new Sig P320 and play building blocks with it to your hearts content, or buy any one of like 20 different standard configurations.
I’ve always liked the looks and feel of the P30 a lot. I used to shoot CZ 75 phantom a lot and was a very good pistol. I didn’t really like the 320 when it first came out but the x grip great and the building block aspect is fun

The cops I know insist the mechanics of all your carry / defense firearms should be similar if not identical. Because in a stress situation you will not think you will only revert to your training.

That’s why a lot of cops have gone to Glocks: the trigger, slide, mag release, etc. on all the glocks function the same. You might have a G34 on your nightstand, a G19 for carry, and a G43 in an ankle holster, but muscle memory will ensure that you will be able to manipulate all three with equal confidence in a crisis.

Reactions: Doitallgp
I run a against the grain when it comes to handguns so my perspective will show it. I LOVE the old heavy semi autos with hammers like 1911s and CZ75s. The HK USP series pistols are great as they are very similar but with weight savings. Walther is very similar in form and function so there is that common thread between the HK and Walther.

I don't find Glocks that appealing, for whatever reason. They shoot fine and function well so its not that they don't work. The CZ P10C is going to be a carbon copy of a Glock.

If DA/SA doesn't bother you, you have the whole world to explore... CZ makes some very nice options in this realm as well as Sig.

Nothing wrong with the P226. If your into striker fired stuff, there is also the Beretta APX, and HK VP9.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
I run a against the grain when it comes to handguns so my perspective will show it. I LOVE the old heavy semi autos with hammers like 1911s and CZ75s. The HK USP series pistols are great as they are very similar but with weight savings. Walther is very similar in form and function so there is that common thread between the HK and Walther.

I don't find Glocks that appealing, for whatever reason. They shoot fine and function well so its not that they don't work. The CZ P10C is going to be a carbon copy of a Glock.

If DA/SA doesn't bother you, you have the whole world to explore... CZ makes some very nice options in this realm as well as Sig.

The P10c isn't that Glock like. It is way flippier in recoil, and the trigger is like a really, really bad 1911. That said, it is comfortable in the hand.

Just to clarify, my issue with DA/SA is trigger reach in the DA pull. I find that I either blow shot one, which is kind of silly if you see a gun as a tool, or I have trouble readjusting after shot one. No doubt this is me as I grew up shooting 1911s and never really shot many double actions.

The P10c isn't that Glock like. It is way flippier in recoil, and the trigger is like a really, really bad 1911. That said, it is comfortable in the hand.

Just to clarify, my issue with DA/SA is trigger reach in the DA pull. I find that I either blow shot one, which is kind of silly if you see a gun as a tool, or I have trouble readjusting after shot one. No doubt this is me as I grew up shooting 1911s and never really shot many double actions.

I meant to say the Glock and P10C are so similar they can share holsters and such. I'm certain that Glock is not going to allow anybody to make an exact copy of their IP.

"Flippier"? Is that a new technical term? LOL

I really like the APX, I have the combat model I mostly shoot it suppressed, no problems so far, but I've only had it for a year or so now. I did replace the striker spring with the competition spring from Beretta.

I understand that about the first round on a DA/SA but I shoot my P220 a lot and have gotten better on the first round shot

Sig makes some nice stuff with some nice triggers. I can't do glocks man. You've gotta be aware of that grip angle if you're not a Glock shooter. I think S&W's angle is similar too. I'm a 2011 competition shooter and I built a gucci Glock for fun and tried running it and was hitting really high across the board. It's a feel thing. As such, for me personally, when shopping for any type of defensive pistol it's gotta come up naturally to my line of sight and glocks just don't for me. Besides that, it's a pistol. Go hold em and feel em. Raise em up and see which line right up. Feel those triggers. If a CZ shadow turns ya on, buy that bad boy.

Reactions: YotaEer
Personally I would go glock, the reasons are obvious.
Second, S&W m&p 2.0 (I would NOT do a gen 1.)
Third, HK vp9 or CZ p10

PERSONALLY I would avoid Sig, their QC is very lacking of late because they are focused on numbers and not quality. (I'm sure that this is guna get me flamed but its true.) I would also avoid a da/sa gun. Nothing wrong with them but they are harder to shoot well then a striker gun.

I am all about the most crisp single action trigger pull possible. If a 1911 is out of the question, then 226 would be my next choice, followed by P30. I have DA/SA and SAO Sigs, both have great triggers. Go pull the trigger on the 226 Legion (both DA/SA and SAO) and see what you think.

Personally I pretty much never fire my DA/SA pistols in DA mode, so I don't knock these pistols for their DA trigger pull, which admittedly is way too long/heavy for precise shooting.

The exact gun I picked for your use cases is the 226 Legion SAO with a trigger job from Sig Armorer. The trigger is 95% of a custom 1911. Competition crisp and still super reliable.

I am all about the most crisp single action trigger pull possible. If a 1911 is out of the question, then 226 would be my next choice, followed by P30. I have DA/SA and SAO Sigs, both have great triggers. Go pull the trigger on the 226 Legion (both DA/SA and SAO) and see what you think.

Personally I pretty much never fire my DA/SA pistols in DA mode, so I don't knock these pistols for their DA trigger pull, which admittedly is way too long/heavy for precise shooting.

The exact gun I picked for your use cases is the 226 Legion SAO with a trigger job from Sig Armorer. The trigger is 95% of a custom 1911. Competition crisp and still super reliable.

If you are all about the triggers, then you need to get your hands on a Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom shop tuned CZ 75
(There are some made in SA only if that's your preference).
A high end Tanfoglio is also a thing of beauty.

You should get a carbine rifle.

Because there’s no way to not sound like a d-bag and still make a point, I’ll say this, if you talk to or ever seent, or have, shot someone, you know that handguns regardless of (9mm/.40/.45) cartridge size, handguns suck at killing, and when we are talking about “defense” we are talking about killing.
The consideration should be what kills the best and most reliably, not how much Gucci merch you can pump into it.

Reactions: Sierra770
CZ Shadow 2 if you don't mind the weight. Reliable, accurate, enough aftermarket, excellent ergonomics, and comes either DA/SA or SAO. I just converted mine to SAO and haven’t looked back.

I just sold off my Glock 34 gen 5 because I never shot it after picking this S2 up.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/02/17/the-pfeifer-zeliska-the-revolver-in-600-nitro-express for when your done playing around with tiny little pop guns . lol , I never said it was a practical choice just another option other than just another 9mm and there is nothing wrong with 9mm or even a 38 they are easy to control and give quick follow up shots I know stopping the attacker is the legal way to look at it , but I want them dead this way they never attack anyone ever again ever .

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossyoak44

I haven’t handled a Legion yet but will make an effort to find one now.

CZ Shadow 2 if you don't mind the weight. Reliable, accurate, enough aftermarket, excellent ergonomics, and comes either DA/SA or SAO. I just converted mine to SAO and haven’t looked back.

I just sold off my Glock 34 gen 5 because I never shot it after picking this S2 up.
Definitely like the CZ shadow 2 and will go find one to play with again

Reactions: PBWalsh

Because there’s no way to not sound like a d-bag and still make a point, I’ll say this, if you talk to or ever seent, or have, shot someone, you know that handguns regardless of (9mm/.40/.45) cartridge size, handguns suck at killing, and when we are talking about “defense” we are talking about killing.
The consideration should be what kills the best and most reliably, not how much Gucci merch you can pump into it.

The King's Men seem to do just fine killing people with handguns.
Sure they may empty a couple mags and a couple of their buddies empty their mags as well but details......

But if you could just go with a .44 Magnum revolver with a 9 inch barrel and that will take care of a lot of things with the right ammo, including your hearing.

I haven’t handled a Legion yet but will make an effort to find one now.

Unless it has a trigger job, the legion still sucks compared to a higher end CZ in about the same price band that they tend to go in ($1k+)
I haven't tried a legion with a trigger job, so they may be amazing.
I was not overly impressed with the triggers on the standard stock legions as being all that much better than the rest.

Is the P30 an LEM or traditional DA/SA.

Having shot LEM, do yourself a favor and get a VP9. LEM is ok if you reduce pull weight or get Gray guns/lazy wolf upgrade but VP9 is almost perfect as it ships.

As far as traditional DA/SA I got rid of mine as first shot may as well be firing into ground. Just my 0.02.

@Choid glad you came around.

have a few thousand through mine and roll pins haven’t walked at all. Gun is crazy accurate and way more ergonomic than a g19 and i love glocks. CZ just makes damn fine guns.

Reactions: JOS
If you don’t plan to carry concealed, I don’t know why anyone would want a handgun over a carbine or short 12/20ga. But if i had to pick something it would likely be a g34 or g20 depending on if I lived in grizzly country or not.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
P30 V2 (LEM)
Hammer fired, DA only with a SA pull weight (long trigger pull with light resistance) Hammer spring is preloaded all the time to achieve this. Hammer is always down, unlike a 1911. No external safety or decock lever. l've installed lighter spring kit which makes the trigger break ~4lbs. Have about 2500 rounds through the pipe without a hiccup.

Reactions: CTone03
I got a P30 LEM v4 years ago and converted it to the lightest trigger, the v1. It's different, but it's an excellent trigger and I get compliments when others shoot it. The v1 LEM is the one that Todd Green used back in the day and put over 90k rounds through in one season.

If I am going to a battle then rifle for sure

If I am going to a battle then yes a rifle. Not convenient at all to carry around while doing daily life. So a compromise with portability and performance is needed. Modern handguns and ammo fit that use very well .

D39451B8-F374-4D6B-A21A-2E6B3995E082.jpeg

I have gun safes full of STI’s and SVI’s but this is still what I find myself drawn to.

my cz orange is my favorite handgun but I haven’t even shot it in over a year.

these 3 handguns in the photo are the only be I’ve shot in over a year..

the Glock 34 with delta point is my duty/carry optics division gun

the Glock 17 is my training/production division gun

the Glock 19 goes everywhere with me as my concealed carry...

I also teach a lot of civilian shooting and LTC classes...these 3 guns are actually relatable to everyday shooters.

Lately I’ve been using a Glock 45 9mm with an rmr as a duty gun...tits!

bench

Reactions: Mossyoak44
i'd take tbe p226 because i prefer the inherent safety of da/sa and having used them for decades, i have no problems hitting anything with the heavier da pull.

• Love
Reactions: W54/XM-388
Glock 17 or 34, Gen 5, if you have large hands. Glock 19 Gen 5, if not.

I do have to say though that you say you are replacing the firearm you have for "personal reasons" that have nothing to do with the gun? I'm not sure why then you would replace the firearm.

Last edited: