• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help picking a scope for my build Need Opinions...

BigRso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hello and Happy Holidays

So this tax season I will be upgrading my current scope for a FFP 6-24x50 I have a few in mind but would like opinions on the ones I am looking at and any other options I may have for my price range $1200-$1300 tops. This will be my last purchase as far as glass for a while so I really want the best bang for my buck like everyone else. ZS, illumination, all a plus main needs great glass FFP and great repeatable tracking. If any dealers can give me a great deal in February send me a PM :cool: This will be going on my Savage build details are listed in signature. Thank you for your help and comments in advance..

What I was considering: All are sub $1000

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope

Stock # - SIIISS624X50LRFFPMH
•Matte
•FFP Mil-Hash
•30mm
•Side Focus
•.1 MRAD Target Knobs

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

Stock # - BUSET6245FJ
•Matte
•Illuminated BRT-Mil (Red)
•30mm
•Side Focus
•Rainguard® HD
•1st Focal Plane
•3" Sunshade

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

Stock # - PST624F1M
•Matte
•Illuminated EBR-1
•30mm
•5 MRAD Turrets
•Side Focus
•.1 MRAD
•1st Focal Plane

Last edited:
Burris has really stepped it up for 2014 with their MTAC 2s. 34mm, FFP, mil/mil, quality knobs. $1100ish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I've seen prototypes, but no public information I know of until Shot. I'll keep my ear out for everyone.

Ummm, just going off memory so don't quote me: 1.3x8(dual fp), 2-10, 3-15, and 4-20.

There is an F-class scope also, but I don't remember the range.

Glass:
Sightron>Bushnell>Vortex

Knobs:
Vortex>Bushnell>Sightron

Vortex has zero stop and illumination. You'll have to decide what is more important to you - glass or features.

I don't like Sightron soft clicks, but the glass is so superior I keep buying them (with covered knobs as compromise).
Vortex glass was so bad - I sold them all.
Bushnell has always been an honest value in my experience - I still got a few and never hesitate buying one.

Last edited:
Glass:
Sightron>Bushnell>Vortex

Knobs:
Vortex>Bushnell>Sightron

Vortex has zero stop and illumination. You'll have to decide what is more important to you - glass or features.

I heard of a tunneling issue in upper portion of the mag range with the vortex I have never handle one is there any truth to this? I could do without the ZS and if the bushy is dead smack middle it is illuminated and can mod it for a ZS.

Every Vortex I had (yeah, I went through the full line-up hoping for "better" for more money) had fuzzy ring out at the edge, and as you zoom in the fuzzy ring gets fatter and fatter, and past 20x you completely loose resolution - it had very "digital zoom" type of feeling if that makes sense.

Every Vortex I had (yeah, I went through the full line-up hoping for "better" for more money) had fuzzy ring out at the edge, and as you zoom in the fuzzy ring gets fatter and fatter, and past 20x you completely loose resolution - it had very "digital zoom" type of feeling if that makes sense.

If that's the case vortex is off the list for sure. I actually had a g2dmr 6-24x50 bushy and it was clear all the way threw the mag range only thing I didn't like was @6-8 the eye releif got really picky if that makes sense.

I think the strongest value in a $1300 scope is the SS 5-20x50. It easily competes with several more expensive scopes under $2k. The new Burris offerings coming out soon I hope can give them a run for the money.

I think its impossible to beat sIII glass in its price range. I do prefer the covered turrets but the MOA reticle. You may be able to get it through the new custom shop at sightron. If you havnt tried one, the glass really is "that good"! I love the mOA reticle. Some dont like the dot. I think its really close to the mp8 that IOR uses.

Chuck

I think the strongest value in a $1300 scope is the SS 5-20x50. It easily competes with several more expensive scopes under $2k. The new Burris offerings coming out soon I hope can give them a run for the money.

I was considering the ss5-20 but I am really not feeling the diamonds I prefer mil hash marks. I guess I could get use to them as well